Author Topic: 2022 Obituaries Thread  (Read 66369 times)

Offline jmorgan

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: 2022 Obituaries Thread
« Reply #240 on: November 14, 2022, 12:51:32 PM »
Sad news for DOOL fans as John Aniston, who played Victor Kiriakis since 1985, as well as being the dad of Jennifer, passed away last Friday at age 89.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/john-aniston-days-of-our-lives-legend-dad-of-jennifer-aniston-dies-89-154754930.html

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #241 on: November 20, 2022, 11:12:30 AM »
Rumors are spreading (with some of his co-stars confirming) on social media that Jason David Frank, who played Tommy Oliver, the former green-turned-white, red and black ranger on Power Rangers, has taken his own life at the age of 49...
« Last Edit: November 20, 2022, 11:17:57 AM by whowouldeverhurtawhammy »
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #242 on: November 20, 2022, 11:22:38 AM »
if this is true, i'll be devastated (like i wasn't that way when i saw the rumors), as my childhood was partially formed BY Power Rangers

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #243 on: November 20, 2022, 12:04:45 PM »
From TMZ, the flash apparently official, the Green Ranger is no more...

https://www.tmz.com/2022/11/20/power-rangers-jason-david-frank-dead-dies-tommy-oliver-green-white/
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #244 on: November 20, 2022, 02:08:35 PM »
Robert Clary, best known as LeBeau on Hogan's Heroes and himself a Holocaust survivor, age 96. No cause given.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline plinko2000

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #245 on: November 22, 2022, 06:19:52 AM »
I read that Jason David Frank was a contestant on Price is Right in 1992.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #246 on: November 22, 2022, 10:45:29 AM »
Reading through this list of many of the former Rangers who starred with JDF is very emotional, like a high school reunion where you respect your blessings to those who are no longer with us. That said, this is another unnecessary casualty in mental health that makes me angry in some respects, as Johnny Yong Bosch (Adam) proclaimed on his Instagram message. Sure, the show has a pretty certain generational demographic, but I'm part of it and all those after-school and Saturday morning viewings, even watching them in reruns, certainly brings out the goosebumps (and Rita Repulsa laughs) in me. I'm so sorry for this circumstance with the rest of the Power Rangers cast, crew, and fans.

https://www.superherohype.com/tv/522220-power-rangers-cast-share-tributes-to-jason-david-frank
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #247 on: November 22, 2022, 11:39:17 AM »
I read that Jason David Frank was a contestant on Price is Right in 1992.

I have heard that as well, but I cannot locate that particular clip...if it ever did happen...

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #248 on: November 22, 2022, 05:00:10 PM »
Reading through this list of many of the former Rangers who starred with JDF is very emotional, like a high school reunion where you respect your blessings to those who are no longer with us. That said, this is another unnecessary casualty in mental health that makes me angry in some respects, as Johnny Yong Bosch (Adam) proclaimed on his Instagram message. Sure, the show has a pretty certain generational demographic, but I'm part of it and all those after-school and Saturday morning viewings, even watching them in reruns, certainly brings out the goosebumps (and Rita Repulsa laughs) in me. I'm so sorry for this circumstance with the rest of the Power Rangers cast, crew, and fans.

https://www.superherohype.com/tv/522220-power-rangers-cast-share-tributes-to-jason-david-frank

For those familiar with the franchise here in the States, you've probably heard that a lot of the footage (even now, i think) is taken from Japan's Super Sentai franchise (which can be seen legally and for free thanks to Shout Factory's streaming stuff)

i say that because of this (a message from the actor who played JDF's/Tommy's Sentai counterpart)

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #249 on: November 24, 2022, 01:31:49 PM »
Toronto Maple Leafs legend Borje Salming has passed at age 71 after a battle with ALS.

A great player, and one of the first ones I knew about when I became a hockey fan. RIP.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #250 on: November 24, 2022, 08:48:43 PM »
For those familiar with the franchise here in the States, you've probably heard that a lot of the footage (even now, i think) is taken from Japan's Super Sentai franchise (which can be seen legally and for free thanks to Shout Factory's streaming stuff)

i say that because of this (a message from the actor who played JDF's/Tommy's Sentai counterpart)

You are correct. In this case, MMPR was initially adapted from Kyouryuu Sentai Zyuranger, and Burai was Tommy's counterpart in that series. It was touching to see Shiro Izumi (Burai's actor in Zyuranger) to give tribute.

In particular, it was very heartwrenching to see the other tributes...especially Amy Jo Johnson's (Kimberly/OG Pink) emotional stream... It wasn't easy to watch without tears...

Offline jmorgan

« Reply #251 on: November 26, 2022, 10:54:01 AM »
Sad news for 80's pop music fans as Irene Cara, the singer of the title songs for "Fame" and "Flashdance", the latter of which she won an Oscar for, passed away early this morning at age 63.

https://www.yahoo.com/entertainment/irene-cara-fame-flashdance-feeling-132342107.html

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #252 on: November 28, 2022, 11:37:45 AM »
These are a few weeks late, but Parkinson's disease has claimed the lives of two country music legends this past fall.

Jody Miller, who rose to fame in 1965 with "Queen Of the House," one of the earliest satires on being an overworked housewife, died Oct. 6 after battling the illness for several years. She continued her fame into the early 1970s, with her biggest hits ranging from covers of 1960s pop hits (including the Chiffons' "He's So Fine" and Barbara Lewis' "Baby I'm Yours," both 1971) and originals, including 1972's "There's a Party Goin' On."

Jody died Oct. 6 after a seven-year battle with Parkinson's.

https://www.billboard.com/music/country/jody-miller-dead-queen-of-the-house-1235151976/

Jeff Cook was the fiddler and bass guitarist for the band Alabama ... yeah, the one that had 33 No. 1 hits from 1980-1993 and a bunch of other top 10 hits in the 1990s, mixing both soft rock-type ballads and Southern rock songs of southern pride. Jeff also usually sang backup vocals, but like his cousin Teddy Gentry, he got a turn once in awhile on lead vocals on some album tracks. You heard his fiddling at work most prominently in songs like "Dixieland Delight" and "If You're Gonna Play In Texas (You Gotta Have a Fiddle In the Band)." You may have heard "Mountain Music," where toward the end of the song both Jeff and Teddy are featured soloists (trading lines with Randy Owen, the lead singer).

Jeff also suffered from Parkinson's, and he passed away on Nov. 7. He had been battling Parkinson's for at least a decade, and although he stopped making regular appearances with his cousins, he still made several appearances with the band in recent years.

https://www.tennessean.com/story/entertainment/music/2022/11/08/jeff-cook-alabama-2022-band-co-founding-member-dies/69611215007/

The year 2022 has been very tough for country music, already with the deaths of Loretta Lynn, Naomi Judd, Mickey Gilley, Jerry Lee Lewis, Olivia Newton-John, a bunch of session musicians, songwriters and producers (Jerry Crutchfield, Hargus "Pig" Robbins and Dallas Frazier among them) and others. We are lucky to have listened to their gifts and musical talents over the years.

RIP to Jody and Jeff.

Brian
« Last Edit: November 28, 2022, 11:42:51 AM by Briguy »

Offline dagdoggnh

« Reply #253 on: November 29, 2022, 11:03:04 AM »
Clarence Gilyard Jr., best known for playing Conrad McMasters on "Matlock" and Ranger Jimmy Trivette on "Walker, Texas Ranger", as well as roles in "Die Hard" and "Top Gun" died on November 28 at age 66 following a long illness.

Details: https://variety.com/2022/tv/news/clarence-gilyard-jr-dead-walker-texas-ranger-die-hard-1235443900/

Offline htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #254 on: November 29, 2022, 11:35:17 AM »
That’s sad. Just watched Die Hard on Saturday.
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.