Author Topic: Looking for Date of Showcase Overbid: "Three DOLLARS?!?!?!"  (Read 2693 times)

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
Looking for Date of Showcase Overbid: "Three DOLLARS?!?!?!"
« on: January 07, 2022, 09:17:49 AM »
I can't find it on YouTube anymore, but there used to be a clip in which Bob's reaction had me rolling on the floor laughing! I don't recall the contestant's name or her bid, but I do remember the price of the showcase was five-digits and ended with $_ _ 997, three dollars under the contestant's bid. What I DO recall was Bob's hysterical reaction: "You went over by three DOLLARS?!?!?!" He then turns to the audience and says "She missed both showcases by three DOLLARS?!?!?! I..." Then the audience started to yell "Give it to her, anyway!" And Bob said back "We're not going to give it to her anyway!" Great stuff all around! Oddly, her showcase was revealed FIRST...and the other showcase was won by a few thousand dollars. I'm surprised it wasn't revealed last.

All I can recall was it was sometime in the 1990s, probably mid to late 90s. Since there was no lineup attached to the clip I can't say what games were played. If anyone can find the date with this limited info...well, this site wouldn't surprise me! 😃
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 04:32:59 AM by Alfonzo »
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Looking for Date of Showcase Overbid: "Three DOLLARS?!?!?!"
« Reply #1 on: January 08, 2022, 12:30:46 AM »
You know, I think it makes sense they revealed it first.  That gave Bob more time for a great and unique reaction to the painful overbid.  If it was revealed second it would get steamrolled by the winning contestant's celebration.

Sorry but I have no tips on a link to the video.  I'd love to see that also.
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #2 on: January 08, 2022, 02:54:41 AM »
You know, I think it makes sense they revealed it first.  That gave Bob more time for a great and unique reaction to the painful overbid.  If it was revealed second it would get steamrolled by the winning contestant's celebration.

Sorry but I have no tips on a link to the video.  I'd love to see that also.

Thinking about it, you're right. Bob's voice had an infliction I had never heard before or since that made the whole thing painful and funny at the same time! Revealing it second probably would not have led to Bob's reaction.

I'm sure someone will have the date. An overbid by just "three DOLLARS?!?!?!" is not too common and I'm sure someone has notes on it.
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 02:57:48 AM by Alfonzo »

Offline DylanBe

• In the Audience
« Reply #3 on: January 08, 2022, 08:15:58 AM »
Thinking about it, you're right. Bob's voice had an infliction I had never heard before or since that made the whole thing painful and funny at the same time! Revealing it second probably would not have led to Bob's reaction.

I'm sure someone will have the date. An overbid by just "three DOLLARS?!?!?!" is not too common and I'm sure someone has notes on it.
Is this what you're talking about? There's no date listed there, but I think I found the clip you mentioned.

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #4 on: January 08, 2022, 08:43:44 AM »
Is this what you're talking about? There's no date listed there, but I think I found the clip you mentioned.

You're Da Man, Dylan! The other contestant overbid as well, which makes it really strange that's Jacqueline's showcase was revealed first.

According to the comments section on YouTube, the episode was originally supposed to air on June 6th, 1994 but was delayed for some reason to October 14th, 1994.

And it's just as hilarious as I remember it to be!
« Last Edit: January 08, 2022, 08:58:55 AM by Alfonzo »

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: January 08, 2022, 11:57:32 AM »
Bob's inflection is definitely one of a kind. Man that was painful, though of course years later there would be a contestant that was all of $1 over on her bid. The other contestant was also over by a small margin too!

Online mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A recapper on fire!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #6 on: January 08, 2022, 02:44:02 PM »
More like "Three DOLLARRRRRRS?!"  :P

But boy, Bob knows how to get us through any game show moment, good or bad. I still miss his hosting after all these years.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline ThatDonGuy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: January 16, 2022, 06:00:39 PM »
You're Da Man, Dylan! The other contestant overbid as well, which makes it really strange that's Jacqueline's showcase was revealed first.

According to the comments section on YouTube, the episode was originally supposed to air on June 6th, 1994 but was delayed for some reason to October 14th, 1994.

And it's just as hilarious as I remember it to be!

June 6, 1994 was the 50th anniversary of the D-Day invasion of France; CBS may have been covering President Clinton's speech at the Normandy cemetary that day.