Author Topic: Continuation response rules in game shows  (Read 1793 times)

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
Continuation response rules in game shows
« on: December 21, 2021, 08:11:43 PM »
Responding with multiple words to a question sometimes startles contestants where they only say part of the answer, pause for a few seconds, and then say the remainder of the response. Some shows would allow a response to fine as long as its said by the buzzer or the judge rules them incorrect, like a lot of the classic quizzers. Often, you get the "we need more information" call which often leads to a couple extra seconds to complete the response. Other shows like Wheel of Fortune require a response that provides the full answer without a noticeable hesitation, in the case of the MOVING COMPANY puzzle earlier this year, along with another bonus puzzle on tonight's show where the contestant took a pause after saying the first three words of the puzzle, and then despite beating the buzzer for the final word, Pat/Sony still ruled it as incorrect, and it cost her an Audi Q3. Some shows have the "I need a full answer immediately", meaning that the Speedround and Winner's Big Money Game round in Sale of the Century for example, requires a full answer immediately, with no time to correct their response if they pause for more than about half a second. Which shows to you feel provide these "pause" rules most fairly, and which shows do you feel are the stingiest, favoring the producer?
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Online ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Continuation response rules in game shows
« Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 12:49:23 AM »
Responding with multiple words to a question sometimes startles contestants where they only say part of the answer, pause for a few seconds, and then say the remainder of the response. Some shows would allow a response to fine as long as its said by the buzzer or the judge rules them incorrect, like a lot of the classic quizzers. Often, you get the "we need more information" call which often leads to a couple extra seconds to complete the response. Other shows like Wheel of Fortune require a response that provides the full answer without a noticeable hesitation, in the case of the MOVING COMPANY puzzle earlier this year, along with another bonus puzzle on tonight's show where the contestant took a pause after saying the first three words of the puzzle, and then despite beating the buzzer for the final word, Pat/Sony still ruled it as incorrect, and it cost her an Audi Q3. Some shows have the "I need a full answer immediately", meaning that the Speedround and Winner's Big Money Game round in Sale of the Century for example, requires a full answer immediately, with no time to correct their response if they pause for more than about half a second. Which shows to you feel provide these "pause" rules most fairly, and which shows do you feel are the stingiest, favoring the producer?

I hate to bump a two-week old comment, but I was scanning and I couldn't resist.

On your "Sale of the Century" point, "Scrabble" also had the same rule. Once you buzzed in, you had to give the answer IMMEDIATELY or else you would be marked wrong. Maybe it's a Reg Grundy thing.

To answer your question, I think the stingiest would be Wheel of Fortune for the reasons you mentioned. The most lenient is absolutely, definitely, without a doubt Family Feud. In fact, it's TOO lenient. There have been occasions in which a Fast Money player clearly gave an answer after the buzzer and the judges still accepted the answer. That irks me more than it should.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
Re: Continuation response rules in game shows
« Reply #2 on: January 07, 2022, 01:47:47 PM »
To answer your question, I think the stingiest would be Wheel of Fortune for the reasons you mentioned. The most lenient is absolutely, definitely, without a doubt Family Feud. In fact, it's TOO lenient. There have been occasions in which a Fast Money player clearly gave an answer after the buzzer and the judges still accepted the answer. That irks me more than it should.

Not every contestant in Fast Money gets an equal amount of time to think and answer because the length of the questions and the time it takes Steve Harvey to read them varies from episode to episode, so lenience there is a good thing. Despite the name of the round, Fast Money isn't really about speed, it's just about getting an answer without pondering the question too deeply.

On the other hand, if in a Face-Off somebody's hand hits the buzzer a tenth of a second before their opponent, and then they take a second to answer after Steve prompts them, they are getting an unfair advantage and should absolutely be buzzed.

On your "Sale of the Century" point, "Scrabble" also had the same rule. Once you buzzed in, you had to give the answer IMMEDIATELY or else you would be marked wrong. Maybe it's a Reg Grundy thing.

Sale is all about knowing when to interrupt the host, so strict enforcement makes sense there. Giving the contestant an extra second to collect their thoughts after buzzing in would completely change the flow of the game.

Scrabble, on the other hand... I've got nothing.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."