Author Topic: Your Prediction for Next Refurbished Game  (Read 7443 times)

Offline Chris88

• Outside in Line
Your Prediction for Next Refurbished Game
« on: January 18, 2022, 07:58:02 AM »
Which is the next game you believe that they will refurbish or you think that needs a makeover?

Edit by Alfonzo: Title changed to better reflect topic.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 09:18:59 AM by Alfonzo »

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Your Prediction for Next Refurbished Game
« Reply #1 on: January 18, 2022, 08:47:55 AM »
Hi-Lo, Swap Meet and believe it or not Any Number.  Aside from the small modification a few years back, it's the same set from 1986.  I think after 35 years the very first pricing game deserves a make over - even if they bring back elements from the original 1970s board to honor its heritage.

And I don't think it needs a full makeover but after almost 31 years, can we update the graphic that says "Pick a Number"?  It looks like no one put any thought into it and that they rushed to get a "quickie" game on the air.
« Last Edit: January 18, 2022, 09:19:32 AM by Alfonzo »

Offline Tateman

• In the Audience
« Reply #2 on: January 18, 2022, 09:45:14 AM »
I'd really say any game that still has that early 90s teal-pink-lavender aesthetic. That's Too Much is the first that comes to mind.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: January 18, 2022, 09:56:55 AM »
Pleeeeeease Money Game. Talk about 90s.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #4 on: January 18, 2022, 12:04:51 PM »
Magic #, because why not?
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #5 on: January 18, 2022, 12:45:14 PM »
For a game that offers three cars, Triple Play sure is dinky.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #6 on: January 18, 2022, 12:48:20 PM »
Switcheroo, because doing so isn't a federal crime.   Plus, the show has been very top notch in terms of set upgrades, even when they're not that necessary

ITA, gamesurf.  Never thought about that.  Maybe because they hardly play the game.  However, you'd think they'd put more effort into something there!
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Online ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: January 18, 2022, 01:04:39 PM »
I'd really say any game that still has that early 90s teal-pink-lavender aesthetic. That's Too Much is the first that comes to mind.

Perhaps ironic, as That’s Too Much! premiered in 2001.

Online ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: January 18, 2022, 01:06:30 PM »
Magic #, because why not?

I’m not a proponent of updating any game that still has an eggcrate display. LEDs are more modern, but eggcrate displays will always be charming to me.

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #9 on: January 18, 2022, 02:08:00 PM »
"Pick-A-Number" could use a redesign. I have always believed the slapped-together design looked odd.

Offline superballfan

• In the Audience
« Reply #10 on: January 18, 2022, 07:54:24 PM »
How would feel Five Price Tags needs a change?  Would it work if the small prizes was done similar to Shell game using touch screens, and the tags revealed by a button like It's in the Bag? Your thoughts.

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: January 18, 2022, 07:55:52 PM »
Definitely Money Game. But why do I feel like they would see a need to incorporate technology into it? It doesn't need that kind of makeover.

But I would take any revision to Freeze Frame, technology laden or not.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: January 18, 2022, 08:00:39 PM »
How would feel Five Price Tags needs a change?  Would it work if the small prizes was done similar to Shell game using touch screens, and the tags revealed by a button like It's in the Bag? Your thoughts.
My thoughts? If it ain't broke, leave it the hell alone.

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #13 on: January 19, 2022, 06:50:44 AM »
Definitely Money Game. But why do I feel like they would see a need to incorporate technology into it? It doesn't need that kind of makeover.

I beg to differ-- if Money Game were refurbished, I'd like to have it like Bullseye is now, where Drew simply touches the numbered panels, and if they showed dollar signs, those numbers would go into a total money number display at the top, and if the car half icons were shown, those numbers would cover up the car half icons at the bottom.

If four money numbers were selected, then that total would be in the top display, and Drew would not have to add it in his head, because it would be right in front of him; this would also eliminate the need for cardboard and paper cards (this is just my opinion; disagree if you will).

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2022, 09:18:29 AM »
this would also eliminate the need for cardboard and paper cards (this is just my opinion; disagree if you will).
Heartily disagree... in the Barker era, at least, they deliberately kept Money Game "tech free" so they could use it as a backup car game in case another, more modern game went on the fritz; by screwing it up with touchscreen garbage, you'd eliminate that utility.