Author Topic: Your Prediction for Next Refurbished Game  (Read 7445 times)

Offline Timotheus

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Give it a whooz, Dan.
Re: Your Prediction for Next Refurbished Game
« Reply #30 on: January 21, 2022, 01:48:21 PM »
That said, they will continue doing refurbishments and set changes. It could be to add current technology like possibly converting Money Game to use touch screens and adding graphics, or complete overhauls where they could see need with Triple Play or Pick a Number.

Oh sure, I have no doubt they'll continue to update and refresh the game sets. And they usually do a nice job on these! Almost none of these worse than their predecessors, usually a lateral move at worst.* I mostly meant it as a waxing rhapsodical on a show design with a lot of character, one that doesn't feel overly focus-grouped and streamlined, one that makes each game experience feel different!

And also as a lengthy preamble leading to what was intended as a humorous surprise bash on Triple Play.

* The only ones that I really dislike from the Carey era are Bargain Game and 10 Chances.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #31 on: January 21, 2022, 07:38:03 PM »
I'm normally against refurbishing games. I love how the set is a melange of different styles and trends - that gives the show a wealth of character. Getting to see the most hyper-modern sets stand side-by-side with relics from the '70s, I love it! The oddness of the gaudy That's Too Much set, the blocky and imposing Line 'Em Up board, the vintage cash register of Grocery Game, rustic Cliff Hangers, and the bold retro kitchiness of the Pay The Rent rooms, all together? An absolute wonder to behold. Even though most repaints and redesigns are well-done, the show loses a little something every time. Not much, just a little.

Beautifully said.

That said, they will continue doing refurbishments and set changes. It could be to add current technology like possibly converting Money Game to use touch screens and adding graphics, or complete overhauls where they could see need with Triple Play or Pick a Number.

The flashy touchscreen in Double Cross works because the game's identity was supposed to be flashy and modern and it features prominently as part of the game and if you take that away there's not much there to set it apart from other two-prize quickies.

I don't really want or need Money Game and Shell Game and Bullseye to have flashy touchscreens. I just need to see a quick price reveal. I don't see what's gained by ditching the art cards.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #32 on: January 22, 2022, 10:04:25 PM »
What’s gained is making things relevant and engaging for the majority of modern audiences.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #33 on: January 23, 2022, 12:16:57 AM »
I have a very hard time believing that 51% of the show’s audience cares whether the price is revealed on an art card or a touchscreen.

I don’t know for sure that there aren’t people who will change the channel the moment an art card is shown on camera, or that CBS doesn’t have data showing that Stack the Deck with the new grocery reveal retains viewers better than Stack the Deck with the old grocery reveal. But I certainly have a hard time believing that changing a prop that appears onscreen for a few seconds improves time spent viewing in any meaningful way.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #34 on: January 23, 2022, 06:56:05 AM »
I concur about Money Game.

But I'd like to see the board redone to the original colors, a blue board with red cards for the numbers.

The art cards/pull cards are just fine.  I'd add perhaps a digital readout to keep track of the total amount of money won.

I never cared for the current Money Game board, hated when they got rid of the classic looking board.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: January 23, 2022, 10:55:34 AM »
Another possibility to update Money Game might be going green, as it were, to fittingly make the board the color of money.  And even if they were to ditch the dollar sign design, they should still keep dollar signs as part of a hypothetical refurbish. 

Offline GR_Man_9009

• Walking the Golden Road
  • BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #36 on: January 23, 2022, 11:44:49 AM »
For 3 Strikes, I would make it so that there's a board that lists the contestant's wrong guesses for example if a contestant says 3 in the third spot and that's wrong, that would go on that board, that would help the contestant not have to try to remember so much.
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #37 on: January 23, 2022, 01:08:10 PM »
For 3 Strikes, I would make it so that there's a board that lists the contestant's wrong guesses for example if a contestant says 3 in the third spot and that's wrong, that would go on that board, that would help the contestant not have to try to remember so much.

Part of winning 3 Strikes is remembering where the numbers do and don’t go, so this will not work.

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #38 on: January 23, 2022, 01:13:06 PM »
Part of winning 3 Strikes is remembering where the numbers do and don’t go, so this will not work.

But look what happened to Any Number. The contestant even had their chosen numbers in front of them in the prize prices, and they still felt the need to add the list showing what was used/left.

Just to be clear, I'm not trying to make the case for showing the numbers. I prefer it as-is.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #39 on: January 23, 2022, 03:50:20 PM »
But look what happened to Any Number. The contestant even had their chosen numbers in front of them in the prize prices, and they still felt the need to add the list showing what was used/left.

Honestly, I agree with adding the numbers there. Having Barker (and later Carey) occasionally struggle to remember the numbers left was painful to listen to, so I actually think the game looks considerably better with a “used number board.”