Author Topic: If a game show had an age range attached like a board game, each would be what?  (Read 1501 times)

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
If you check out any board game collection, you'll notice that one of the most interesting features is the suggest age range for each, from the preschool-aged range ones like Candy Land, to ones for somewhat older children (Hangman and Battleship is 8-Adult), and eventually grown-up ones for adults like Jeopardy! ("Teen to Adult" for the 1992 Tyco version) and Trivial Pursuit (Adult for the classic Genus edition).

But when it comes to watching the shows on TV themselves, a suggested age range may be a bit different compared to what the home version is, provided that there's even one affixed. Take Wheel of Fortune for example. Playing Hangman could easily be accomplished as early as kindergarten based on watching shows like Sesame Street, since there's lots of words that are learned prior to later 2nd/3rd grade. And quite honestly, I'd place Wheel of Fortune at "5 and up"; to me, the difference between "and up" and "to adult" implies a more serious, dedicated game that adults would enjoy watching like Jeopardy! (which I'd place at 8 to adult for the TV version).

Others IMO in terms of suggested age range (note: this implies material and not necessarily language/dialgoue that would make a show inappropriate for pre-teens):

Family Feud: 7 to adult (pre-Harvey), 10 to adult (Harvey)
The Price Is Right: 5 and up
The Chase: 10 to adult
Password (all versions): 8 to adult
Let's Make A Deal: 3 and up
Press Your Luck: 5 and up
Supermarket Sweep: 6 and up
To Tell The Truth: 10 to adult
Lingo: 7 to adult
Double Dare (Nickelodeon): 5 and up
Legends of the Hidden Temple: 7 and up
The Wall: 6 and up
Who Wants to be a Millionaire?: 8 to adult

Note: these ranges mostly differ from home versions of each game; at least as the viewer, you only see these as learning experiences since you're not actually competing. A first grader would enjoy the sets/numbers action in Jeopardy!, but would find most of material to complicated to really  understand, similar to how I felt when I watched Jeopardy! as a young kid.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Joker's Wild ...and deadly.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
I did have a Millionaire board game in the past, and I remember the "minimum age" having two digits. Comparing to that, a normal Jeopardy! game would have to be 12 to adult because of the challenging material (though anyone younger than that could certainly watch the action).

If Password is 8 and up, I guess Pyramid would be the same.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
Looking at my board game collection, Scattergories and Win, Lose or Draw were both 12 to adult on their 1988 versions, but since WLoD provided the answer for those at home, it provided nice educational viewing for younger viewers, so I'd place it at 7 an up for the TV versions (and 6 and up for the Teen version). You actually get to see a drawing instead of simply the word like in Password. TV Scattergories would be 8 to adult due to its rapid play.

Also, the 2000 Pressman WWTBAM game was 12 to adult. That's why I find setting the suggested age a few years younger for the TV version compared to the board game version provides a point where the viewers can learn their skills/knowledge before becoming ready to compete.

The 1986 Quizzard version of Sale of the Century is 10 to adult BTW, and like Jeopardy!, would place the TV version as 8 to adult in terms of watching.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
I'd probably put Pyramid at 10 and up (mainly $100,000), but 8 and up is fair enough overall.

Speaking of the different Feud eras (gameshow eras overall) and what's appropriate, I guess I'd put classic TPIR at 12 to adult based on a lot of things back in the day.  5 to adult is perfect otherwise due to home participation.  Not much common knowledge is needed for TPIR.  Just pricing knowledge for the maximum success
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck