Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 2/25/2022 (TPiR Season 50 Dream Car Week - Day V)  (Read 3457 times)

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Re: TPiR Recap - 2/25/2022 (TPiR Season 50 Dream Car Week - Day V)
« Reply #15 on: February 25, 2022, 05:46:27 PM »
Well uh........saving the best for last was an understatement. Rest of the show aside, this 10 Chances playing is by far the wackiest pricing game playing in recent history that I can recall. 10 Chances is already hard enough for the everyday player and viewer with five digits, and yet TPTB had the audacity to play it with six. Then after several zero rule violations, appearing to foretell a loss as usual, Melissa goes and nails the price of the car on her first try! Clangs and whoops included, nice touch btw.

Then, if that wasn't enough, we got the weirdest SCSD I've seen since the $80,000 payout some years ago. As mentioned, I don't believe I've ever seen a short spin on a double dollar spinoff before.

Tune in tomorrow for Saturday Price! Drew said it himself!
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Season 15 cash earnings: $151,769
Season 16 cash earnings: $274,708 (+$31,284 scrimmage cash)
Season 17 cash earnings: $350,902
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

“People who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” – Rob Siltanen

Offline TinoStar11

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #16 on: February 25, 2022, 06:05:36 PM »
Their Youtube channel just uploaded the 10C playing , if anyone wants to relive the epic win.

Offline sayingsorry

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: February 25, 2022, 07:12:32 PM »
Anyone else panic when she went over to the car with the marker still in hand worried she'd get it on the car or the leather interior? 😂

Offline gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2022, 08:48:23 PM »
If there’s no gray area, then how did Standards & Practices react to Barker incorrectly disqualifying that player?

Who’s to say they reacted at all? Maybe S&P didn’t even realize anything was wrong.

Plus, was that player ever compensated?

Did the player ever realize anything was wrong? If neither S&P nor the staff nor the host nor the player caught the error during the taping, it’s more of “an unfortunate wrinkle we hope never to reproduce”.

If S&P did catch it once it aired, what’s appropriate compensation? Both showcases? An all-expense paid trip back to LA to be a contestant again?

It’s unfair to the contestant, but that “all producers’ decisions are final” clause in the rules holds a lot of weight for a reason. An appropriate S&P reaction might be calling a staff meeting and just saying “don’t do that again, here’s the appropriate way to handle it in the future.”
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2022, 08:48:40 PM »
So this was supposed to be Wednesday's episode? Why the swap? To save the biggest win for last?

Offline mechamind

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2022, 09:49:00 PM »
Saving the big win for last seems like the obvious reason to me.
It's another Adam who is another recapper for another game show on another site.

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Online alansh42

• Outside in Line
« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2022, 10:09:26 PM »
I’m glad I slept through most of today’s episode, otherwise I probably would’ve burst a blood vessel at that 10 Chances playing. Holy cow. A contestant mostly respecting the zero rule and getting the six-digit price correct on the first attempt.

Assuming the contestant is aware of the zero rule, and they could easily guess the one as the first number, there were 24 realistic combinations that the contestant could pick from.
You can pare it down a bit from there. You have 9, 5, 2 and 3 left. It's probably not a 19xxx0 or 15xxx00 car.

Still, an amazing win.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #22 on: February 26, 2022, 12:00:15 AM »
Nice Money Game win to start the show. Loved Ernie's shirt!

Bad choice going with the pasta and not the yogurt in Grocery Game when needing something just over a dollar to win.

Wow, they actually did 10 Chances for the dream car. That playing was nothing short of epic. A few bad guesses on the first two prizes, but then she got the car on the first try! Wow!

It does feel a little weird that Melissa was able to get into the Showcase after her bonus spin didn't go all the way around, but of course she did need an official spin. It could've gone either way either doing things as they did or DQing her.

Congrats Melissa on a huge total after winning the Showcase for good measure. Don't think we'll see you tomorrow Drew.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #23 on: February 28, 2022, 12:44:00 AM »
Holy crap.

I just got around to watching this tonight.

That was one of the most surreal hours of television I have ever seen.

I'm not even sure who was more excited about Melissa winning Ten Chances -- Melissa or Drew.  His reaction of, "WHAT JUST HAPPENED?!" was one of his greatest moments hosting The Price Is Right.  His sign-off after the Showcase couldn't have been better, either -- "One of the biggest winners in the history of daytime, and you got to see it!"

I'm way behind on Pluto (as in, I'm one show away from the debut of Walk of Fame), but if there's a show where Bob disqualified a contestant from a spin-off because her bonus spin didn't go all the way around, that's not a gray area -- that's just plain Bob being wrong.

As for the order of this week's shows, Monday was Monday.  Thursday and Friday were aired on Tuesday and Wednesday and vice versa.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #24 on: March 01, 2022, 05:18:28 PM »
Well uh........saving the best for last was an understatement. Rest of the show aside, this 10 Chances playing is by far the wackiest pricing game playing in recent history that I can recall. 10 Chances is already hard enough for the everyday player and viewer with five digits, and yet TPTB had the audacity to play it with six. Then after several zero rule violations, appearing to foretell a loss as usual, Melissa goes and nails the price of the car on her first try! Clangs and whoops included, nice touch btw.

Then, if that wasn't enough, we got the weirdest SCSD I've seen since the $80,000 payout some years ago. As mentioned, I don't believe I've ever seen a short spin on a double dollar spinoff before.

Tune in tomorrow for Saturday Price! Drew said it himself!

Not only violating the zero rule, but also 2 of the 3 choices for the middle prize being prices in the $300's range (which they are usually not offering items at that price level for it either), so basically 3 bad choices and 3 good (and with the last, very good) ones.  Quite a surprising outcome.

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #25 on: March 08, 2022, 07:35:29 AM »
I know Dream Car week ended a week ago, but I just saw the Friday show.  I am surprised no one commented that Ten Chances was set up for an easy win the way the digits were arranged on the card:  9 - 1 - 5 - 0 - 2 - 3.    The way the eye moves across those numbers that go up and down, the eye naturally pairs the 5 and 0 and the 2 and 3 without realizing it.  So the first number has to be 1 and then you see the 2-3 and then a nervous hurried contestant would put 50 at the end leaving only the 9:  123,950.  Much easier to see that let's say 125,390 - that would have been next to impossible.   Also, it was obvious that when the spin-off spin did not go all the way around that part was edited - Drew would not have had that spiel about it not counting so polished and ready to go so spontaneously.   But agree it was a great way to end the week!

Offline masoudfun1996

• In the Audience
« Reply #26 on: March 12, 2022, 11:10:49 AM »
With that Dream Car Win in 10 Chances, I am happy to inform you that Melissa is now in 1st place for Season 50 winnings and 5th place for all-time winnings (excluding primetime shows).

Feels pretty exciting to have a Dream Car winner getting a spot in the Top 5 on the all-time leaderboard, huh?

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: March 12, 2022, 11:46:07 AM »
^A Dream Car Week winner from 2016 was #5 on the list before Melissa bumped him off. The #4 top winner did win a car from Dream Car Week, but she won it on the Best of 2013 show.