Author Topic: The Price Is Right Is Hitting The Road  (Read 7606 times)

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
Re: The Price Is Right Is Hitting The Road
« Reply #15 on: March 22, 2022, 04:48:54 AM »
^My immediate thought before reading more was "this is going to be like the Wheelmobile, isn't it?"

There's no way this is a full show to divert competition from TPIR Live, right? I'm expecting this to be more like the Randy's Donuts thing where the games are there, and maybe there's a grand opening/closing ceremony, but it's free reign.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #16 on: March 22, 2022, 09:26:04 AM »
Its more or less an extra promotion to celebrate the 50th season and bring more exposure to the show.

Exactly how is this a bad thing?

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: March 22, 2022, 10:47:09 AM »
Why does the press release call spinning the Wheel and Showcase Showdown separate things?!  :evil: Even CBS THEMSELVES is getting it wrong now. The Showcase Showdown IS the Wheel. Drew explains this all the time!

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #18 on: March 22, 2022, 04:39:09 PM »
Is there going to be one show in every state, or just about every state (Hawaii would be difficult)? Would be awesome to see it in New Jersey, though at least there will be a NYC show I see.

I'd bet that the most they'll do in terms in locations is cover the lower 48 states, or only visit the 50 highest-populated cities within (but maybe not all of) the lower 48 states. I wonder if these road shows will be recorded and aired on CBS?  And if so, could we end up seeing a limited number of pricing games, particularly those that do not rely on electricity, such as Money Game, Double Prices, Hi Lo, etc.?
« Last Edit: March 22, 2022, 04:41:28 PM by FanOfDrew87 »

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #19 on: March 25, 2022, 06:53:51 PM »
looking at media coverage of tonight's event (the 25th at the Santa Monica Pier), it's not a full show like TPIR Live

it's just a Wheel replica, the showcase podiums, Plinko, and the like

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #20 on: March 25, 2022, 10:56:34 PM »
Photo op with the Wheel is cool. Giving people the chance to drop a Plinko chip is cool. Opportunity to buy mercy, t-shirts, etc. is cool.

Quote from: press release
Fans will also be able to win prizes supporting local businesses in visiting cities.

making 50 stops coast-to-coast to give fans the opportunity to play games and win prizes.

We haven’t seen what the “games and prizes” are, even if it’s just a simple verbal pricing games and the chance to win a T-shirt. It’s not a real show, but it’s not just a photo op either.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline OneBidTris

• 4/2/2024
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
  • Hosting FPG for Season 50
« Reply #21 on: March 28, 2022, 09:36:51 PM »
Had the opportunity to go to the kickoff on Friday and had a good time. Drew was gone by the time I got there, but George, Alexis, and James were there the whole time I was there. Waited about an hour to get in, but you could see what was going on inside the exhibit. They gave everyone name tags and you needed to show your vaccine card in order to enter.

Once inside, you got to drop a Plinko chip down the board. If you got it in the 50, you got $50. Someone in the line mentioned it was for a comedy club, but I cannot confirm. I do know that they were giving out keychains for those that didn't get it in the center. After that, you got in line to spin the wheel. I was very impressed by how compact it was, and I think it was a smart way to transport it on this tour. There was a prize for getting $1 with a combination of one or two spins, though the amount escapes me at the moment. They also had a gif maker running that you could scan after your spins.

There was one more photo-op in front of Showcase podiums at the end and there you could scan a QR code to enter the $50,000 sweepstakes. There was a separate wall to take photos in front of as well, though the pier is very pretty already. There was a DJ playing music all day and there were people chatting. I saw several people ask the models for photos, and they were very kind about it.

They also did showcases throughout the day, from what I could tell it was the same showcase of a surfboard, skin care products and Ray-Bans all day. Repping Santa Monica, the ARP was $998. I was a little worried with bids of $1224 and $800, but the winner was such a nice lady. She even gave the surfboard to LA local, a very kind gesture.

Overall, I enjoyed this pop-up. It reminded me a lot of the kinds of setups I'd see outside Comic-Con and would fit right in. I don't know how different the other stops are going to be on this stop, but I would give it a recommendation based off of what I saw.

Here are some photos I took below:

Offline wxfrcaster

• In the Audience
« Reply #22 on: March 29, 2022, 12:28:02 PM »
Kind of reminds me of the CBS College Tour that came to my campus back in the mid 90s. They had a mock Feud set where they selected teams to play (winning teams received a home game), a green-screen to do weather, and some soap opera tents. Was a fun time and I still have my Feud home game!

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
« Reply #23 on: April 13, 2022, 09:56:31 PM »
I hope they will mention when in the City they are going. there are a lot of streets.

Offline TPIRZippy

« Reply #24 on: May 07, 2022, 10:42:48 PM »
Went to the event yesterday in CLE.  Had to be under tents due to rain that moved in, but everyone still had a great time.  The specific address was posted online a few days before.  People there who saw TPIR on TV on Friday who came to the event said that there was a promo during the show reminding people to come on down.

I won $50 on Plinko.  That was the top prize; the person running it had a stack of $50 prepaid cards in their money apron.  Other slots won gift certs to local merchants, trinkets, etc. so I made out great!  They had two "dummy" Showcase podiums (no monitors; static text reading "Showcase" in the usual position and a TPIR logo where the bid would be that could be pulled out to display "Winner!")  They used them for a Showcase round while I was in line right adjacent.  The single showcase had Guardians tickets, Rock & Roll Hall of Fame tickets, Playhouse Square tickets, and something else...what was the fourth thing? I can't remember it.  Both contestants overbid the first time so they were asked to re-bid; closer without going over won the Showcase. 

After playing Plinko and having a photo op with the Showcase podiums, everyone got to spin the Big Wheel and meet George.  This was the "rate-determining step" of the whole thing as it takes a certain amount of time to spin the wheel and then reset it to $1.00 each time so people can get their photo with George.  He talked with each person. 
The staff offered to take pictures for everybody at each step if needed.  It was great to meet George.  I spun 65 cents on the Wheel so no prize there, but I will certainly take what I got--the $50 prepaid card, a couple postcards, a name tag, and a Yodely Guy keychain. 

It was definitely worth the while and it was worth getting there early.  They were going to be there past 4pm to finish everybody in line, but had to close off the line before 4pm to do so.  (That is, don't show up at 3:45 and expect to get in if there is a line.)
« Last Edit: May 07, 2022, 10:45:36 PM by TPIRZippy »

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #25 on: May 08, 2022, 03:51:06 PM »
I'm going to attend the New York City event on May 18. I hope I luck out on the Plinko board and the Big Wheel.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: May 08, 2022, 11:11:36 PM »
^Where is the NYC event going to be?

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #27 on: May 15, 2022, 03:32:13 PM »
Answering my own question-- the NYC visit will be in Madison Square Park from 12 to 4pm. This article also says this is the last show of the tour. https://www.amny.com/entertainment/the-price-is-right-50th-anniversary-tour-madison-square-park/

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #28 on: May 15, 2022, 03:37:46 PM »
What happened to 50 stops? The tour lasted for 54 days, and I doubt anything besides the named cities count toward the total.

Overall, it seemed like it went well as an event, it was a nice addition on top of everything.
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #29 on: May 15, 2022, 10:26:15 PM »
I was ready to take my slap on the wrist for misreading the press release, but no, the press release did say 50 stops.

LOS ANGELES, March 21, 2022 /PRNewswire/ -- To celebrate 50 golden years as the most iconic and joyful game show on television, CBS Original THE PRICE IS RIGHT is hitting the road. The epic coast-to-coast tour will make 50 stops across the country, giving fans the opportunity to play games, win prizes, and enter for a chance to win a grand prize of fifty thousand dollars ($50,000*), while supporting local businesses along the way.

Whoopsie!
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."