Author Topic: Contestants you watched who were dominant?  (Read 1159 times)

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience
Contestants you watched who were dominant?
« on: March 27, 2022, 02:29:50 PM »
Mine would Ken Jennings, Thom Mckee and since i'll count American Gladiators as a game show, Peggy Odita. In all three cases they dominated the game.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Contestants you watched who were dominant?
« Reply #1 on: March 27, 2022, 02:48:37 PM »
Michael Larson, no questions asked. Being able to legally hack a game show makes him a legend in my mind.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #2 on: March 27, 2022, 03:49:29 PM »
i saw Ken and even James on their original Jeopardy! runs when they were fresh

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Let's make the 50th season the best ever.
« Reply #3 on: March 27, 2022, 04:11:58 PM »
With all due and deserved respect to Ken Jennings, I'll say Chuck Forrest.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #4 on: March 27, 2022, 04:18:42 PM »
Ken is pretty much number one for me, but if I had to focus on other people besides Jennings, I'd stick with Rutter.  Until the end, he did have Ken's number, but Jennings, as mentioned, played like James on the GOAT special.  To be fair, I was a little stunned when Brad swept him in 2005, despite the former's then perfect streak.

Outside of Jeopardy, Thom would be another one, but Joe Dunn should be included IMO.  Who knows how far he could've gone without crap-ass rules for a players winnings limit
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline wink87

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: March 27, 2022, 04:46:28 PM »
I will say Frank Spangenberg, the first Jeopardy contestant to break $100,000 in normal competition. Who knows how far he could've went if there was no winnings limit.

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: March 27, 2022, 08:58:26 PM »
Besides those mentioned, I would also include Scrabble's Jacqui Caulkins; she had a clear mastery of the game--have the record low Sprint time for the longest running and most familiar format certainly speaks volumes--and if NBC didn't have a 5-day limit for the show, I suspect she might have been able to play for weeks thereafter.   

Offline Richie

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: March 28, 2022, 11:47:51 PM »
Besides those mentioned, I would also include Scrabble's Jacqui Caulkins; she had a clear mastery of the game--have the record low Sprint time for the longest running and most familiar format certainly speaks volumes--and if NBC didn't have a 5-day limit for the show, I suspect she might have been able to play for weeks thereafter.

Jacqui Calkin was the best champion under the Bonus Sprint format.   11.1 seconds is one I CAN'T beat myself.   

Here are my picks:

these are from Match Game 1990/1991:

Tracey Fife: she lasted the entire five days and was Match Game 1990/1991's top winner.   Her last Super Match was very hard to ace and I was really impressed.

John: On Match Game 1990, his last name was not mentioned, BUT he later appears on Tom Bergeron's Hollywood Squares version.   He reveals there his last name is Clark.   He was the second top winner on this version.   His last day was sweet.

from Sale of the Century:

John Goss.   He was the first lot winner and had won almost $80,000 in cold hard cash.   His last game was really dramatic.

Alice Conkright: The contestant who made Jim Perry break at every Instant Bargain.   Oh her run was impressive.

That's all I can come up with for now.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #8 on: March 28, 2022, 11:55:30 PM »
With the dominance of Jeopardy and how there have been a handful of legends that have made a name for themselves, I often wonder how they'd do in other gameshows (like Scrabble, Pyramid, and all the versions of Password (esp Plus and Super).  Different game styles, but IMO, it would be worth a watch if the past gameshows were a thing today
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: March 29, 2022, 04:07:39 AM »
John Goss.   He was the first lot winner and had won almost $80,000 in cold hard cash.   His last game was really dramatic.
First lot winner of the nighttime show. We don't know who the first lot winner was in daytime.

Offline vnisanian2001

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: March 29, 2022, 12:58:01 PM »
Mort Kamins?

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience
« Reply #11 on: March 30, 2022, 06:11:58 PM »
Jacqui Calkin was the best champion under the Bonus Sprint format.   11.1 seconds is one I CAN'T beat myself.   

Here are my picks:

these are from Match Game 1990/1991:

Tracey Fife: she lasted the entire five days and was Match Game 1990/1991's top winner.   Her last Super Match was very hard to ace and I was really impressed.

John: On Match Game 1990, his last name was not mentioned, BUT he later appears on Tom Bergeron's Hollywood Squares version.   He reveals there his last name is Clark.   He was the second top winner on this version.   His last day was sweet.

Alice Conkright: The contestant who made Jim Perry break at every Instant Bargain.   Oh her run was impressive.

That's all I can come up with for now.

She was one of the last big winners on a RG game show too.  My memory of her was hearing Charlie Tuna announce her ever growing total every day, it was amazing.