Author Topic: Question about preemptions  (Read 2755 times)

Offline danderson400

• In the Audience
Question about preemptions
« on: April 11, 2022, 12:18:08 PM »
When a show was preempted for news coverage, were the show simply backed up from when the preemption occurred? for example in 1987 Super Password was preempted on November 18, 1987 for coverage on a report on the findings of the Joint Congressional Committee on the Iran-Contra Affair, so would they simply not tape any new shows until they caught up?

Offline vnisanian2001

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Question about preemptions
« Reply #1 on: April 11, 2022, 12:42:09 PM »
Talking about Daytime Wheel preemptions, I tried to include proof that it was preempted in 1983 on October 25 for Grenada Coverage, and November 25 for NBC Saturday Morning Cartoons. But the people running the timeline wouldn't let me. The data came from Newspaper Archives, which I research a lot. I don't see how it could be unreliable.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 12:49:27 PM by vnisanian2001 »

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2022, 01:37:40 PM »
thing is... did WOF even air new episodes on Saturday mornings

Offline vnisanian2001

« Reply #3 on: April 11, 2022, 01:39:08 PM »
thing is... did WOF even air new episodes on Saturday mornings

No, it didn’t. Often on Black Friday, the networks would show marathons of Saturday Morning Cartoons, and that was exactly what NBC did on Black Friday 1983.

Online Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2022, 04:08:55 PM »
Until its 1997 kids version Wheel 2000 on CBS, WOF never aired on Saturday mornings.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: April 11, 2022, 05:52:50 PM »
To answer the original question, yes, the show (Super Password in this case) would move to the next day, and typically the next tape day, they would either tape 4 or 6 shows to get caught up, depending on how many they were behind.

Offline vnisanian2001

« Reply #6 on: April 11, 2022, 06:09:10 PM »
By the way, here's proof that Daytime Wheel was preempted on November 25, 1983, despite what the people running the Daytime Timeline say. Smurfs is listed for 10:00 a.m.; it was a 90-minute program at that time.

https://www.newspapers.com/search/?query=smurfs&t=7802&ymd=1983-11-25

Offline GR_Man_9009

• BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #7 on: April 11, 2022, 08:02:25 PM »
Talking about Daytime Wheel preemptions, I tried to include proof that it was preempted in 1983 on November 25 for NBC Saturday Morning Cartoons.
How could it be preempted for SATURDAY Morning cartoons when the 25th of November was a FRIDAY and NOT a Saturday?
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline vnisanian2001

« Reply #8 on: April 11, 2022, 08:26:58 PM »
How could it be preempted for SATURDAY Morning cartoons when the 25th of November was a FRIDAY and NOT a Saturday?

Did you not see the newspaper TV listings I linked to, or my previous post on Black Friday?

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #9 on: April 11, 2022, 09:34:07 PM »
another thing, isn't this thread being derailed a little?

Offline vnisanian2001

« Reply #10 on: April 11, 2022, 09:44:00 PM »
another thing, isn't this thread being derailed a little?

Not derailing. I'm just using this thread as an opportunity to provide proof that there was a preemption on Black Friday 1983, despite blozier2006 (one of the people in charge of the timeline) constantly deleting them, since he apparently ignored all of evidence, including that NY Daily News TV listings page. I quit editing the network timeline because of his draconian behavior.
« Last Edit: April 11, 2022, 09:46:32 PM by vnisanian2001 »

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

« Reply #11 on: April 11, 2022, 10:01:17 PM »
thing is... is it really a preemption if the show not appearing was scheduled?

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #12 on: April 11, 2022, 10:44:58 PM »
Until its 1997 kids version Wheel 2000 on CBS, WOF never aired on Saturday mornings.

Stations occasionally air the WOF Saturday rerun episodes in the morning if there's a sporting event at 7:00 or 7:30 PM. In New York, WABC 7 sometimes airs them at 5:30 AM Saturday morning when there are college football games from September-January. And apparently recently during March Madness, WCCO 4 in Minneapolis, a CBS O&O, aired a Saturday WOF rerun right before a NCAA game at 11:30 AM Eastern/10:30 Central.

But to answer the post above, yeah I don't think network programs can get "preempted" except by breaking news. If it's scheduled, it just doesn't air an episode. It's not like syndicated WOF where one city can decide to not air the show that day for one reason or another, but there is still an episode for the day that city is missing out on because other cities are airing it without incident. When network programs do get preempted in full such as by breaking news or overrunning sporting events they usually slide back a week, or in TPIR's case they get delayed to the summer and replaced with a rerun for the West Coast.

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #13 on: April 11, 2022, 10:45:51 PM »
We’re arguing semantics here, but Google’s definition states

the interruption or replacement of a scheduled radio or television program.

Wheel was scheduled, but because of another programming block, the scheduled television program was replaced. I’d say it counts.

The real answer is it just depends on the show. If a show aired reruns over the summer, sometimes they just put new episodes later, like what Price does, or what Wheel did when they had a few episodes left because of COVID (or more accurately for a news break-in, Wheel once aired a new episode on Saturday to deal with coverage of Hurricane Katrina).
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #14 on: April 11, 2022, 11:21:38 PM »
Arguing semantics is what's resulting in everyone getting pissy with each other. I am locking this because we're not getting anywhere with it.

Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]