Author Topic: Interesting discussion on CBS Daytime blocks and observation  (Read 1442 times)

Offline vnisanian2001

• Walking the Golden Road
Interesting discussion on CBS Daytime blocks and observation
« on: April 14, 2022, 01:11:03 PM »
http://www.gameshowforum.org/index.php/topic,33959.msg397200.html

An interesting discussion on existing CBS Daytime game show blocks. But wait a minute. Chelsea says "If GSN ever busts out Pyramid again or leases it out, and runs 11/83 to 5/85, that run might fill in further." My observation: Aren't there rumors about November 1983-May 1985 and April-October 1987 being damaged beyond repair? I noticed GSN did not show a single episode from those two points in the run, including their recent Betty White tribute. I thought they would have converted those two parts of the run by now, but it doesn't sound like they have.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Interesting discussion on CBS Daytime blocks and observation
« Reply #1 on: April 17, 2022, 01:47:19 PM »
Although nearly everything from 9/4/1972 onward exists in some form or another, Gambit has never been rerun on BUZZR, GSN, or any other secondhand network, and Wink Martindale posting some episodes as well as a couple others is what mostly holds much of the '70s back, along with most of CBS' brief run of The $10,000 Pyramid. Whew!/Celebrity Whew! is making the stretch from 8/27/79 up through the end of its run in May 1980 accessible in a patchy way, with the chief culprit of this stretch being fur episodes of Price. Until the relaunch of Tattletales in 1982, Price was the only CBS game show, once again with scattered episodes from this stretch, although GSN likely aired most episodes from the second half of Season 10 (post-fur).

When Pluto reaches 5/6/85 over on TPIR: TBE, this will start a stretch up through July of 1986 where complete CBS daytime blocks will have been run, with just a few weeks of episodes from September 1986 that USA didn't rerun from the end of PYL's run. Other periods that Pluto will touch upon to eventually create "complete" CBS blocks will be February-April 1987, October-December 1987, April 1988-April 1989, and most of 1991. The mid-1987 gap is due to GSN not carrying $25,000 Pyramid, the early 1988 one due to Blackout (although the majority of episodes circulate in original broadcast form, so many of those could be covered), and the 1989-early 1991 ones due to Chuck Henry's NYSI and Bob Goen's Wheel of Fortune. The Family Feud Challenge does create another gap in 1992-93, but of course after that, up until 2009, was the long TPIR-only period.

Most of ABC's shows from 1978-91 (from Pass The Buck to Match Game '90) have been rerun on GSN/BUZZR, except for Bruce Forsyth's Hot Streak, Double Talk and Bargain Hunters in 1986-87.

NBC is by far the most sparse in terms of existing blocks, especially since Card Sharks is the earliest series that has regularly aired secondhand. Even then, you've got the first revival of High Rollers which is presumed lost, Jeopardy! '78 hidden deep somewhere, and of course, Wheel of Fortune, which with THREE exceptions, has never aired any daytime episodes following its initial run. This doesn't include the vast stretches of Scrabble and Sale of the Century never seen again or since, even though USA ran large chunks of Scrabble. Lesser shows like Time Machine, Bruce Forsyth's Hot Streak, and Battlestars are also missing from this era.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline vnisanian2001

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #2 on: April 17, 2022, 01:53:37 PM »
I see Chelsea has since gone back and made some changes to her post. I wonder what she thinks of these rumors? Does the absence of those two portions in the recent Betty White Marathon prove anything?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: April 17, 2022, 03:06:38 PM »
Most of ABC's shows from 1978-91 (from Pass The Buck to Match Game '90) have been rerun on GSN/BUZZR, except for Bruce Forsyth's Hot Streak, Double Talk and Bargain Hunters in 1986-87.
Correction: Pass the Buck was CBS, not ABC.