Author Topic: To Tell the Truth Mishap to Guest's Property By Celebrity 2022  (Read 8422 times)

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
This is for episode 27 season 6 that premiered a day before this post (not the vintage tttt). For those who have not seen it (since it was in the opening for that episode, I do not know if this is a spoiler or not) One of the celebrities (Marion) ripped a tag off of a beanie baby during 'guessing who the beanie baby collector is' segment (spoiler , it was revealed later that it was very expensive (mult thousand dollars) when in a set with 2 others) The host promise to reimbursed the person but do you think there will be to get people for another season of to tell the truth after this, (since they ask people to entrust their stuff a lot on the show (like shoes if they were shoe design, or pancakes if they make fancy pancakes), and they may not trust the show to keep things safe after this.) definitely considering the end of the abc host ish show, and his new job on law and order, which is on a different network. I would love to hear from experience people on this, since I am not. I would post this to the all encompassing gameshow forum since this does not have to do with price is right, but that one I listed above is invite only (and I am not invited, but would be happy to be) it will be crossposted on the lesser known "Paradise" forum though. So what do you think will happened and how do you feel about it, all opinions and guesses welcome.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: To Tell the Truth Mishap to Guest's Property By Celebrity 2022
« Reply #1 on: April 21, 2022, 09:41:03 PM »
Wow.  You don't have to collect Beanie Babies to know how horrible that was.  It's a collectible, and Marlon totally messed it up by yanking the tag off that Beanie Baby.  I was never that big into Beanie Babies myself, but I did follow them in their heyday, and a big part of the dolls' value comes from the tag still being attached, and to that extent they even make special tag protectors that collectors can buy in order to prevent the tags from getting creased.

The show better make that collector whole again, but Game Girl makes a very valid point that collectors of other items may be reluctant to appear on future shows if their items are going to be treated so cavalierly.  Even if the Beanie Baby collector is compensated with fair replacement value for it, what if this should happen to another collectible that's very rare, so rare that those who have them don't want to get rid of them?  Or, not to mention, a one-of-a-kind collectible that, in addition to book value, has great sentimental value to the collector?  Yeah, the simple answer would be "don't bring it on the show," but I'm sure the producers made all sorts of promises about how they'd take care of them, handle them carefully, keep them secure, etc., and since this was ABC, there'd be a trust factor as well.  I'm sure the collector cringed when the host tossed the Beanie Baby to Marlon, even without the tag being removed.

I hope this story gets out among the collecting communities - not just Beanie Babies, but everything.  Even if this was just a one time, isolated incident, that's still once too many.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: April 21, 2022, 10:35:03 PM »
A celebrity being a Jack— isn’t shocking, but I’m hard pressed to imagine this is remotely something that would cause problems lining up guests in the future.

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: April 23, 2022, 02:51:15 AM »
A celebrity being a Jack— isn’t shocking, but I’m hard pressed to imagine this is remotely something that would cause problems lining up guests in the future.

Well... yeah... if your "Truth" has something to do with what you are or what you've done.  For example, if your "Truth" is that you used to be the guy in the Mickey Mouse costume at Disneyland, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't want to go on the show.

But if they came to me and said "Coinboynyc, we heard that you've got a pretty impressive collection of Bob Barker memorabilia, would you like to be a contestant and bring some of it on the show and talk about it?", having seen what they did to that poor soul's Beanie Baby, I'd pass.

Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: April 23, 2022, 08:02:31 AM »
Again, the idea this is somehow going to be widely known or cared about and thus make things remotely harder for the producers to book guests is just not realistic. In our super saturated, highly fragmented media world, this isn’t a blip on the radar. Was it inappropriate? Yes. Will it reverberate? Nope.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: April 23, 2022, 02:01:55 PM »
I wouldn't waste my time going on these kinds of shows if that's how celebrities would treat my hobby. This should be a warning to all future guests, but I seriously doubt it.

In fact, I've never understood the appeal of panel shows like To Tell the Truth, regardless of era. It's not my cup of tea. It affords celebrities more opportunities to be disrespectful tools.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #6 on: April 23, 2022, 05:58:09 PM »
they'll probably have the celeb in question on a blacklist for now on

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: April 24, 2022, 01:48:29 PM »
I seriously doubt that would happen for that reason.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: April 24, 2022, 02:27:32 PM »
The righteous outrage is more amusing than the incident....

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: April 25, 2022, 01:36:42 PM »
This seems totally accurate

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #10 on: April 25, 2022, 02:17:55 PM »
Well... yeah... if your "Truth" has something to do with what you are or what you've done.  For example, if your "Truth" is that you used to be the guy in the Mickey Mouse costume at Disneyland, I can't see any reason why you wouldn't want to go on the show.

But if they came to me and said "Coinboynyc, we heard that you've got a pretty impressive collection of Bob Barker memorabilia, would you like to be a contestant and bring some of it on the show and talk about it?", having seen what they did to that poor soul's Beanie Baby, I'd pass.

Yeah, I’m not an executive producer/talent booker, but if I was, I’d never book Damon Wayans for the show ever again. I just watched the video and his lack of judgment is just awful. Call me self-righteous, but I’d be incensed if I had a $10,000-$20,000 collector’s item that was devalued like that, even if I was “promised” compensation for it.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: April 25, 2022, 03:23:04 PM »
In this case, if Anthony Anderson wants him back, you work to bring him back.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: April 25, 2022, 05:50:59 PM »
Then if Anthony Anderson wants his career tarnished, he won’t have to work too hard. Damon Wayans helped some, but he’s already flushed his career down the proverbial toilet here.

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #13 on: April 25, 2022, 06:08:22 PM »
also, this shows, imo, that the modern show made it too focused on the celebs and their antics that borderline on older Harvey Feud level jokes

and how behaved the older versions' panel were for the most part (save for some comments by Bill Cullen involving birds in hand)

(edited to clarify what i was complaining about with the focus on the newer version)
« Last Edit: April 25, 2022, 06:17:41 PM by GRWHAMMY the 2nd »

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: April 25, 2022, 06:25:10 PM »
Then if Anthony Anderson wants his career tarnished, he won’t have to work too hard. Damon Wayans helped some, but he’s already flushed his career down the proverbial toilet here.

Though I thought that what he did was tactless, I don’t think this is remotely the end of his career. And I do agree with imhomerjay’s point about Anderson wanting him back.