Author Topic: New Pricing Game Idea - Dial Up!  (Read 2050 times)

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
New Pricing Game Idea - Dial Up!
« on: July 07, 2022, 01:09:13 PM »
This idea involved a contestant playing to win a car, plus up to $50,000 cash with a motif of connecting to the internet via dial-up using grocery items and small-to-medium prizes.

To win the car and the cash, the contestant is presented four products in order of increasing value, arranged in a set of devices used for dial-up connection. Each product has two prices, and the contestant must guess the correct price to progress. Each time the contestant answers correctly, he/she wins a non-cumulative cash prize; $1,000, $5,000, $10,000, $25,000, and $50,000. Once the contestant moves past the fourth product, they will be shown two possible prices for the car. At any time, the contestant can choose to take the money and quit, or risk it to play for more cash and the car.

If the contestant gives a wrong answer along the way, the internet connection is disrupted, and the contestant will lose all the cash up to that point! However, the contestant still continues to the following product under the penalty that the top cash prize is out of play, and they start from winning $1,000 all over again. If the contestant has lost all money on a wrong guess, and gives a second consecutive incorrect answer, the internet connection is terminated! At that point, the game will be over and the contestant leaves with nothing (i.e., gets product no. 2 wrong, and then guesses product no. 3 wrong). The contestant can also wind up winning nothing if he/she goofs the price of the car, or even if he/she gets the first product wrong! If the contestant gets all four products plus the car right, he/she will win the car and $50,000 perfectly.
« Last Edit: July 07, 2022, 01:12:35 PM by whowouldeverhurtawhammy »
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: New Pricing Game Idea - Dial Up!
« Reply #1 on: July 07, 2022, 05:57:58 PM »
Why would a game be based on a concept that hasn’t been a thing in US homes on any kind of scale for years and years?

Offline whowouldeverhurtawhammy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: July 08, 2022, 01:18:07 PM »
Why would a game be based on a concept that hasn’t been a thing in US homes on any kind of scale for years and years?

I thought it might give a partial retro feel to the game to have viewers longing for simpler times...but I see your point.
(to the tune of Sailor Moon)
Guessing prices by moonlight, winning cars by day light, never losing to a real fight, I am the one named...WHAAAAT?!?!

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: July 10, 2022, 03:34:29 PM »
Some things inspire nostalgia, sure…but dial up internet isn’t one 😉

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #4 on: July 10, 2022, 06:00:45 PM »
Some things inspire nostalgia, sure…but dial up internet isn’t one 😉

Worse, for me it brings back bad memories of having to pay per minute for using America Online and not even being able to log in on weekends because it was so busy!
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won