Author Topic: Come on Down with Rich Fields Podcast  (Read 19327 times)

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
Come on Down with Rich Fields Podcast
« on: June 01, 2022, 05:41:47 PM »
Surprised nobody's talked about this yet...

Come on Down with Rich Fields

Former announcer and current Tampa Bay weatherman Rich Fields started a podcast where he talks about, well, The Price is Right. One new episode is livestreamed a week, and all five are currently available to listen to at your pleasure on Youtube.

I haven't had the chance to sit down and listen to all of it yet, but it's rich with behind the scenes content and other stuff some might find interesting.
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In Contestant's Row
Re: Come on Down with Rich Fields Podcast
« Reply #1 on: June 02, 2022, 03:43:50 PM »
Thanks for this, I am curious to check it out.

Offline NewsDirector3287

• Outside in Line
« Reply #2 on: June 02, 2022, 10:45:38 PM »
Because I had nothing to do this afternoon, I watched all five of the available episodes so far.  In my opinion it's a good show.  You get to hear Rich tell his story of how he got to California, to getting the job, working with Bob, and lots of other behind the scenes stories.  It's filmed at the CBS affiliate where Rich works as a meteorologist, along with investigative reporter Dave Wagner, and the two of them have great chemistry. 

He mentions certain people like a man named Eddie who helped him get Johnny and Rod's old podium from the dumpster a few minutes before the show started taping, and of course Roger, who he hopes to eventually get to come on the show.  If there is a downside, it's that he misnames a lot of things.  For instance, he shows a set of cards from Pocket Change in one episode, but says they're from Penny Ante. 

Working in TV, I know how shows can blend together after a while, but that was still a little off putting, but not enough to ruin my enjoyment of the show. Overall, you can tell he clearly enjoyed his time there, and you can see the impact the job had on him.  I look forward to many more episodes and stories in the future!

Offline Kev347

• Double Showcase Winner
  • I love it when people get lit up.
« Reply #3 on: June 03, 2022, 08:24:19 AM »
This podcast is full of great content like NewsDirector said, but you need to take it with a grain of salt. There are some stories that obviously stretch the truth. For example, I highly doubt Monty Hall told Rich personally that he should have hosted the new LMAD (the pre-Wayne Brady one) instead of whoever did. Content like this unfortunately calls the entire rest of it into question.

Still, this is like popcorn for the seasoned Price fan, and I'm sure there are plenty of nuggets of truth in here. Rich also paints a much rosier, gentler picture of Bob than many of us have been exposed to in recent years. I'm glad he treated Rich well.

Offline vnisanian2001

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #4 on: June 03, 2022, 10:27:32 AM »
This podcast is full of great content like NewsDirector said, but you need to take it with a grain of salt. There are some stories that obviously stretch the truth. For example, I highly doubt Monty Hall told Rich personally that he should have hosted the new LMAD (the pre-Wayne Brady one) instead of whoever did. Content like this unfortunately calls the entire rest of it into question.

I don't get it. Why stretch the truth at times? Nothing personal against Rich Fields, of course.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: June 04, 2022, 08:04:05 PM »
I wasn’t aware Bart Eskander was responsible for Randy West not getting the gig.

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #6 on: June 04, 2022, 08:35:23 PM »
I wasn’t aware Bart Eskander was responsible for Randy West not getting the gig.

I had wondered if that was who Bob was lobbying for, hearing you say this confirms it for me.

Yes these podcasts are interesting but I agree with another poster, some of the incorrect names of things is a bit off putting.  Still rather interesting and enjoyable nevertheless.

Online priceguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: June 05, 2022, 02:03:00 AM »

Same here. Randy said a couple of times on "Stu's Show" that everyone wanted him for the job except one key person. He never said who though.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: June 05, 2022, 06:53:45 AM »
Same here. Randy said a couple of times on "Stu's Show" that everyone wanted him for the job except one key person. He never said who though.
If that's the case, I'm surprised Randy didn't get the job; wouldn't the fact of Bob being EP give him authority to overrule Bart [as director]?

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: June 05, 2022, 08:48:07 AM »
One episode I watched last night really showed how dedicated to the show that Rod was when Rich visited his estate, where he would discover most of Rod's suits tucked away on one shelf, along with a lot of his pants/shoes to the point where all those massive collections of apparel offered on the show don't seem quite as overwhelming. He also kept every script for each show he announced, along with a videotaped copy of every show as well. Some of the dimensions of parts of the studio, including the Big Doors (20 by 10 feet long/high), were also featured, along with various props, including one of the Whammy indicators from PYL, a shell and chip from the Shell Game, a 3 Strikes strike, and a piece of one of the 1985 CBS red Eye curtains. If you're on Facebook, you can use messenger to suggest ideas for future episodes, so keep that in mind.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Torgo

• TPiR Alumnus
  • Essential to the Experience
    • Torgo Entertainment
« Reply #10 on: June 05, 2022, 10:22:35 AM »
And I would have gotten that job, too, if it weren't for those meddling kids!

Sounds like revisionism to me.
Torgo has left the building. John and I never really cared for the way he presented himself.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: June 05, 2022, 01:28:27 PM »
Sounds like revisionism to me.

Except it’s coming out of Rich’s mouth this time. The description he gave for the unnamed guy lined up for the job fit Randy to a T.
« Last Edit: June 05, 2022, 01:30:46 PM by CJBojangles »

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: June 10, 2022, 09:21:37 AM »
The Podcasts are interesting and i love seeing Rich props he saved from the show. Him and Bob seem to get along really well. He said he's going to have Roger on the podcast i can't wait to see that interview.

I wish Randy or Burton got the job. Rich was alright but he always announced like he was yelling.
« Last Edit: June 10, 2022, 09:27:21 AM by Reloaden »

Offline The Big Wheel

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: June 10, 2022, 11:44:43 AM »
I find it interesting that, according to Rich, the folks at CBS have offered photographs and even full episodes of shows to be used on the podcast. Although there are some here who paint a not-so-nice picture of Rich during his tenure at the show, there are at least a few people at CBS that must still favor him.
Life moves pretty fast; if you don't stop and look around once in a while, you could miss it!

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #14 on: June 15, 2022, 01:01:59 AM »
There are at least a few people at CBS that must still favor him.
It certainly doesn't hurt that the podcast is now being run by a CBS affiliate.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.