Author Topic: Come on Down with Rich Fields Podcast  (Read 19134 times)

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Come on Down with Rich Fields Podcast
« Reply #30 on: June 22, 2022, 07:26:57 AM »
Roger's feelings towards the current show shouldn't be a surprise to anyone. He was fired. After 36 years, they threw him out like garbage and I can only think that must have hurt a lot. I've never been fired from a job, but if I had, I don't think I would have much of anything nice to say about my former employer either.

Correction: Roger was asked by the network and production team to make changes to modernize the show and work with the new talent's style. Roger refused to, and his services were no longer needed. He wisely chose a generous retirement package. he was HARDLY tossed out "like garbage".

On top of that, It has been...FOURTEEN YEARS.
« Last Edit: June 22, 2022, 07:29:30 AM by urbanpreppie0004 »

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #31 on: June 22, 2022, 08:36:30 AM »
If Roger wants to be callous to The Price is Right and the way it's currently being run, let him. He has a right to say whatever he wants. Are his opinions justified? It's not for me to say. Unfortunately, people here are taking it to themselves to be even more insufferable than Roger if such a thing is possible. There's no good in fanning the flames towards someone who never took losing his job in stride.

People are still watching the show regardless of who's in charge. They did when Roger was working with the show, and they're still doing so now. The staff is doing something right if the show's living to see its 50th birthday.

Offline Combs

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #32 on: June 22, 2022, 09:34:51 AM »
If Roger wants to be callous to The Price is Right and the way it's currently being run, let him. He has a right to say whatever he wants. Are his opinions justified? It's not for me to say. Unfortunately, people here are taking it to themselves to be even more insufferable than Roger if such a thing is possible. There's no good in fanning the flames towards someone who never took losing his job in stride.

People are still watching the show regardless of who's in charge. They did when Roger was working with the show, and they're still doing so now. The staff is doing something right if the show's living to see its 50th birthday.

100% well said. I don't say a lot here because I'm in the minority and I don't want to start arguments. I don't have a problem with people liking the current show and Drew, but it's not for me. (I stick with Barker, James, Kennedy, and Davidson shows.) I don't trash the current show and I don't trash Drew. The amount of complaints towards Roger and *his opinion* towards the show seems to be an obsession for some. If you don't like Roger and have such disdain for his opinion why would you watch a podcast with him being interviewed, or visit his facebook page, or give him any acknowledgement, etc.? I see it a lot. "Roger is a bitter old man." "Roger is irrelevant." Just ignore him.

And yes, the show is alive and well at 50 going on 51 years. Does it really matter that Roger hates it? Why is that worth complaining about...fourteen years later? It's old news and it isn't changing. Does anyone here really expect Roger to sing the praises of the current show? I guarantee if Roger is still alive in twenty years and the show is still on the air in twenty years, Roger will still hate it. Quit expecting him to change his mind and complaining/getting mad because he doesn't. It's never going to change.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #33 on: June 22, 2022, 10:35:16 AM »
When you continue to publicly display your displeasure you open yourself to criticism at each opportunity. His complaining and constant griping is very insufferable himself. So it stands to reason people like me who have problems with him would come off as just as insufferable. I feel like the solution here is that he needs to just move on and focus on his retirement.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #34 on: June 22, 2022, 01:50:36 PM »
He has a right to say whatever he wants.

Nobody’s disputing that. The dispute is over whether believe Roger’s comments are in good faith, or are interesting after fourteen years.

The amount of complaints towards Roger and *his opinion* towards the show seems to be an obsession for some.

I give you my promise that if somebody makes a Facebook page or discussion board that amounts to answering the question “tell me why Roger is bad” every week for seven years, I will roll my eyes at that too.

It’s fine that he doesn’t like the show. It’s less fine to build a brand about not liking the show.

Why is that worth complaining about...fourteen years later? It's old news and it isn't changing.

You’re right, but it works both ways.

I love when Roger posts war stories from the old days. I’m indifferent that Roger doesn’t like the current show. I don’t love that Roger’s encouraged people to go to his page saying “look at this they did they’re doing special weeks isn’t this horrible” and responding “yes, it’s horrible” for the millionth time. He’s smart enough to know what he’s doing amounts to feeding the trolls.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Mark

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #35 on: June 22, 2022, 01:55:32 PM »
This is the first time I've heard of Rod Roddy stating that he was "co-host" of the show.

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: June 23, 2022, 12:58:15 AM »
Interesting to see how open Roger and Rich were on Bob's health despite it being mostly negative.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #37 on: June 23, 2022, 12:42:32 PM »
I've only listened/watched the episode with Roger, but the information given about Rod Roddy was very interesting (and explains a lot I think).  I mean I know what Roger is going to say about the Drew version, so it did not dampen my enjoyment of hearing the rest of what was discussed.  I will likely go back and watch the previous episodes now.  At first, I didn't really have an interest, but there is good stuff in here.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #38 on: June 23, 2022, 06:27:49 PM »
Listened to the podcast. Not a ton of new info, but liked the vibe overall and a few nuggets. Will probably tune in again at some point. Here's a handy link.

Biggest gossip nugget: Rich and Roger remained relatively close to Bob up after leaving the show up until December 2019, at some point after that Bob stopped returning calls and eventually changed his number.

Rich reached out to Bob's publicist who responded, "yes, that was done intentionally; it's not just you, Rich, a lot of people are cut off from Bob now." They speculated that his fall may have played into that decision. Since then only Bob's family has known how he's been doing.

I get that they probably would prefer to set a more upbeat vibe, and Bob is their friend, but would be interested in a follow up where they directly respond/rebut/place in context to some of the specific stories Randy West shared on Stu's Show or that will be in Randy's book. Hearing them talk about their side of the Rod/Bob/primetime dispute was interesting and I want to hear more of it.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: June 23, 2022, 07:10:22 PM »
They speculated that his fall may have played into that decision. Since then only Bob's family has known how he's been doing.

Bob is 98. We all have work friends (who may be wonderful and well-intentioned) and family. Let the man just rest and enjoy.
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline sideshowPA

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: June 23, 2022, 07:11:50 PM »
Among the things he says are that the set changes constantly, they have weird prizes like 100 pairs of shoes, and that it's starting to look cheap like foreign versions he used to watch.

This is the same show which offered a healthy dose of Geo Metros for many, many years, yes?
"I don't want to hear disorganized beeping." - Bob Barker

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #41 on: June 23, 2022, 07:35:00 PM »
I think if I got fired from a job I did and loved for 36 years, I'd be bitter and resentful for the next 36 years after that myself. I'd also get pretty tired of people asking me questions about it after a while too. Roger is allowed to have his opinions. It's interesting to see his perspective. Whether or not everything he says (or Rich for that matter) is 100% truthful is a whole other matter, but I digress.

Personally, I've grown to like the Drew era. Sure the first few years kinda sucked, but he's made the show his own and I find it enjoyable. That said, I still look back at the Barker era quite fondly. It certainly wasn't without its own faults but I see it as a product of its time much like what we have now. Grandfather clocks and Buick Centuries have gone the wayside in favor of smart phones and Kia Souls and if the show is still on 20 years from now who knows what we'll see.

It's sad to know that Bob's health hasn't been great but then again at his age it's not really surprising. I just hope that he's in good care and good company.

The actual retail price is...

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #42 on: June 23, 2022, 08:14:39 PM »
at least the show survived long enough to learn from its mistakes WITH the first couple years of the Drew era leading into what we have now

something that probably wouldn't happen if Roger stuck around

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: June 24, 2022, 05:56:11 AM »
What was the incident mentioned where Rich supposedly slipped up and caused a Corvette to be given away? I don´t remember this at all.

Offline EhManana

• Outside in Line
« Reply #44 on: June 24, 2022, 02:39:17 PM »
One of the models later gave away a car as well, I hope that reason wasn't a factor in the firing of Rich.