Author Topic: Come on Down with Rich Fields Podcast  (Read 19137 times)

Offline Axl

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Come on Down with Rich Fields Podcast
« Reply #45 on: June 24, 2022, 02:43:05 PM »
This is the first time I've heard of Rod Roddy stating that he was "co-host" of the show.

We discussed on the board here (now many, MANY years ago) that Rod had given several interviews where he described himself in those terms... terms that clearly we not compatible with how Bob saw things. It was also around that time that Rod seemed to be padding his part a bit when he got on camera. ("Well, I'll tell you, Bob, let me think long and hard as I look out over this audience to find...")

Interesting to see how open Roger and Rich were on Bob's health despite it being mostly negative.

I thought that was far more uncomfortable than hearing Roger's usual litany of complaints about the show. If Bob's family has gone out of its way to shield him from negative publicity about the state of his health, it doesn't exactly seem like the act of a friend to go online, share everything you know, and then speculate about what you know. (I'll give Roger a partial pass on this... he seemed uncomfortable talking about it, and Rich was really goading him into giving more.)

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #46 on: June 24, 2022, 03:34:25 PM »
What was the incident mentioned where Rich supposedly slipped up and caused a Corvette to be given away? I don´t remember this at all.

About where in the episode is that mentioned? I think I know what that refers to, but I'd like to hear what they say to make sure I'm not remembering something else.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #47 on: June 24, 2022, 04:42:46 PM »
About where in the episode is that mentioned? I think I know what that refers to, but I'd like to hear what they say to make sure I'm not remembering something else.

42:01
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline MSTieScott

• TPIR Alumnus!
« Reply #48 on: June 24, 2022, 06:28:46 PM »
Hm. That doesn't match what I'm thinking of. Granted, I was a page during Rich's first years on the show, so I wasn't at every taping, but even as a fan, I don't remember any moment where Rich read a price in his script that gave away the answer to a game. (Although if that did happen, I can easily understand how it would get through rehearsal with no one noticing. The pricing games themselves were never rehearsed -- only the prizes were. So if a script page ended with "a prize worth $xx,xxx," everyone would just assume that that's what's supposed to be there.)

Because Roger can't remember the specific details, I'll just go ahead with the moment I remember. Maybe this is why he can't remember what game it happened in -- it wasn't in a pricing game.

During his warmup before an episode, Rich was chatting with the audience. I don't remember the context, but one of the audience members mentioned a Corvette, and for some reason, that prompted Rich to speculate on what Corvettes go for nowadays -- something like, "What would that be, $50,000 or so?"

The thing was, one of the showcases in that very episode had a Corvette as the big prize at the end. And even though Rich didn't have access to showcase totals, he had inadvertently made a pretty accurate estimate regarding the Corvette's price.

I hurried backstage to inform Roger (yes, you can call me a snitch), who decided that because everybody in the audience heard it (and we didn't know who would be in the Showcase round), the Corvette would stay. Needless to say, when the end of the show came around, the contestant put in a very good bid on that showcase and wound up winning the Corvette.

I was too low in the hierarchy to know whether there was any aftermath, but I can imagine Rich being told to never speculate on prices in front of the audience ever again.
The statements and opinions expressed above are those of the author and do not necessarily reflect the opinions of the author's employer or any company the author has worked with, past or present. Individual results may vary.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #49 on: June 24, 2022, 10:51:31 PM »
Really just an innocent mistake by Rich. Wasn't there an episode where Bob inadvertently read the first two numbers in the price of a Showcase and the contestant won by starting their bid with those numbers?

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #50 on: June 24, 2022, 11:27:31 PM »
We discussed on the board here (now many, MANY years ago) that Rod had given several interviews where he described himself in those terms... terms that clearly we not compatible with how Bob saw things. It was also around that time that Rod seemed to be padding his part a bit when he got on camera. ("Well, I'll tell you, Bob, let me think long and hard as I look out over this audience to find...")

I thought that was far more uncomfortable than hearing Roger's usual litany of complaints about the show. If Bob's family has gone out of its way to shield him from negative publicity about the state of his health, it doesn't exactly seem like the act of a friend to go online, share everything you know, and then speculate about what you know. (I'll give Roger a partial pass on this... he seemed uncomfortable talking about it, and Rich was really goading him into giving more.)

This may qualify as a dumb question but does Bob have family? Dorothy Jo and him never had kids and she has been dead almost 41 years now. He is 98 and I dont know of any living relatives.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #51 on: June 24, 2022, 11:52:03 PM »
Apparently his younger half-brother Kent Valandra is still alive. Not sure if he has any involvement with Bob's current situation but he may very well be his only living next of kin.

The actual retail price is...

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #52 on: June 25, 2022, 08:26:37 AM »
I can understand both sides of the argument about discussing Bob's health, or lack thereof.

I mean Bob will be turning 99 in less than 6 months from now, so it would stand to reason that he would be experiencing some kind of health issues.

Bob himself seemed to be fairly open when he was the host about having various health issues.  I even remember way back when Bob hosting the program while on crutches.

I can respect Bob's family (whether it's his half brother or others, we can only speculate), wanting Bob to have his privacy and dignity.  I can also understand about Rich and Roger feeling somewhat perplexed that they were suddenly and without warning, cut off altogether from Bob.

I cannot speak for anybody else here, as for me, while I find Rich's podcasts entertaining, I cannot help but get the vibe that Rich is not totally genuine.  I have no doubt that he loved being announcer, and I agree with him about how the show just carelessly discarded the original announcer's podium...but when he talks about pricing games and gets the names wrong, or elements of the games wrong, it makes me feel like he should have known more about these things.  He doesn't seem to be as much a LFaT as many LFaT's are.

I also find it somewhat hard to fathom that Rich and his Dad were able to sneak onto the set and go behind the scenes.  Maybe it was true, but just hard for me to fathom that, especially after all that went down during the quiz show scandals of the 1950s.  Standards & Practices, especially for a major network like CBS and at that time, I would have thought would have had a tighter reign over things.  Then again, this is the same network that was taken to task by one Michael Larson on Press Your Luck in 1984, so I reckon Rich's story could very well be true, although I get the feeling he embellishes some of the details.

But overall it is interesting to learn more about things.  Rather disappointed to hear about Rod and getting an ego like that.  Johnny never seemed to be like that at all...but we're all human and all subject to character flaws and frailties...especially in that line of work.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #53 on: June 25, 2022, 09:46:07 AM »
Rather disappointed to hear about Rod and getting an ego like that.  Johnny never seemed to be like that at all...but we're all human and all subject to character flaws and frailties...especially in that line of work.

My understanding is that Johnny had no agent, and was paid scale (what somebody starting out in the business would make) and never asked for more. Goodson-Todman Productions returned the favor by making sure Johnny always had as much work as he could want. In the 70’s there was a new game show on the air pretty much every 13 weeks & it was feasible for an announcer to work 2-4 shows at once.

When Rod came aboard he said, essentially, “no, pay me what I’m worth.” He became the highest paid game show announcer at the time (and, once talk shows started replacing game shows, eventually the only announcer successfully working a daytime network game show)

Johnny felt loyal to the company because he knew they’d take care of him. Rod knew he only had one client, he was the #2 on-camera role, he brought years of experience and a fanbase, and he was difficult to replace, so I can see him not wanting to leave anything on the table.
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #54 on: June 25, 2022, 01:48:33 PM »
I can understand both sides of the argument about discussing Bob's health, or lack thereof.

I mean Bob will be turning 99 in less than 6 months from now, so it would stand to reason that he would be experiencing some kind of health issues.

Bob himself seemed to be fairly open when he was the host about having various health issues.  I even remember way back when Bob hosting the program while on crutches.

I can respect Bob's family (whether it's his half brother or others, we can only speculate), wanting Bob to have his privacy and dignity.  I can also understand about Rich and Roger feeling somewhat perplexed that they were suddenly and without warning, cut off altogether from Bob.

I cannot speak for anybody else here, as for me, while I find Rich's podcasts entertaining, I cannot help but get the vibe that Rich is not totally genuine.  I have no doubt that he loved being announcer, and I agree with him about how the show just carelessly discarded the original announcer's podium...but when he talks about pricing games and gets the names wrong, or elements of the games wrong, it makes me feel like he should have known more about these things.  He doesn't seem to be as much a LFaT as many LFaT's are.

I also find it somewhat hard to fathom that Rich and his Dad were able to sneak onto the set and go behind the scenes.  Maybe it was true, but just hard for me to fathom that, especially after all that went down during the quiz show scandals of the 1950s.  Standards & Practices, especially for a major network like CBS and at that time, I would have thought would have had a tighter reign over things.  Then again, this is the same network that was taken to task by one Michael Larson on Press Your Luck in 1984, so I reckon Rich's story could very well be true, although I get the feeling he embellishes some of the details.

But overall it is interesting to learn more about things.  Rather disappointed to hear about Rod and getting an ego like that.  Johnny never seemed to be like that at all...but we're all human and all subject to character flaws and frailties...especially in that line of work.

There's a big difference between coming in with crutches and tennis elbow than the issues that pretty much all of know Bob has at this point.

Rich...sigh. Rich. I believe he is a LFAT. 100%. So what if he forgets the details- he hasn't been on set in over a decade- no one is able to keep all the details of this show in their memory- im a big fan myself and I forget some of them. People go behind the scenes of Price and other game shows- taking relatives, and social media people all the time- it doesn't mean its a "security risk." The problem is...Rich didnt have permission to do so.

And Rod...like it or not, Rod's popularity as announcer was pretty high. People knew who he was, they knew his style, he was always on camera and in skits and was known for those jackets. Him asking for more coverage wasn't ego at all- it was justified and Bob, being bob- didnt like that. I remember the uproar when Rod was taken off camera back in those days...it wasn't right.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #55 on: September 09, 2022, 12:24:01 AM »
Rich is having Kathy Greco on his podcast taping September 19, and is currently soliciting questions. If you’ve ever had anything you’ve been dying to ask Fingers (within reason), here’s your chance.

https://www.facebook.com/674051018/posts/10160588695246019/?flite=scwspnss

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #56 on: September 09, 2022, 04:58:37 AM »
Rich is having Kathy Greco on his podcast taping September 19, and is currently soliciting questions. If you’ve ever had anything you’ve been dying to ask Fingers (within reason), here’s your chance.

https://www.facebook.com/674051018/posts/10160588695246019/?flite=scwspnss
I might have to check that out.  I wonder if anyone will ask them about the Ted Slauson and Terry Kniss perfect bid fiasco?

Offline TheVNTPIRFan

• In the Audience
  • marktran
« Reply #57 on: September 29, 2022, 06:53:10 AM »
It is announced that Kathleen Bradley is coming to the show on 10/17... Surprising to have a "Classic" Barker's Beauty as a guest!

Now I'm crossing my fingers to see if Holly, Dian or Janice will ever come anytime soon.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #58 on: September 29, 2022, 10:42:10 AM »
Apparently his younger half-brother Kent Valandra is still alive. Not sure if he has any involvement with Bob's current situation but he may very well be his only living next of kin.

I do know that his half-brother will control Bob’s endowment at Drury upon his death, so I would say he is still pretty involved in Bob’s life.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #59 on: October 01, 2022, 09:59:42 PM »
I might have to check that out.  I wonder if anyone will ask them about the Ted Slauson and Terry Kniss perfect bid fiasco?

Semi-spoiler alert.....

They did.  I won't say what was said, in the event that you were not able to yet view it.