Author Topic: Come on Down with Rich Fields Podcast  (Read 19348 times)

Offline C8

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Come on Down with Rich Fields Podcast
« Reply #75 on: February 16, 2023, 09:00:08 AM »
I'll say this.

I found the clip and saw it.

Its bad, clearly caused hurt to a significant population of viewers, and a level of unaware cringe not even Larry David could write for Curb Your Enthusiasm.

But it headed past "boy, that joke landed poorly" and barreled into "why on earth would you think it was a good idea to say that, it's baffling why any human being would think that bringing that up was a good idea, let alone one with 30 years of broadcasting experience".

FTFY.

Offline jerseyfla

• Outside in Line
« Reply #76 on: February 16, 2023, 11:54:38 AM »
I'll say this.

Its bad, clearly caused hurt to a significant population of viewers, and a level of unaware cringe not even Larry David could write for Curb Your Enthusiasm.

FTFY.

Oh wow. I definitely only watch WTSP just for CBS Sports events and Wheel and Jeopardy. Hopefully I can find the clip.

Offline jerseyfla

• Outside in Line
« Reply #77 on: February 16, 2023, 01:29:07 PM »
Now it’s official on his FB. Rich has decided to start Motivational Speaking.

“After much consultation with all involved, I have stepped away from broadcasting and I will now be going out on the road to do some motivational speaking. It's a regular presentation that I do when I speak with groups and organizations. My speech is all about goal setting, attaining goals quickly and how to manifest your own destiny. And everyone loves the Hollywood behind-the-scenes photos and videos that I show during the talk. I have been approached on a number of occasions to make this leap into public and motivational speaking (which I have always loved) and now is the time.”

Offline Combs

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #78 on: February 17, 2023, 09:11:16 AM »
I'll say this.

FTFY.

I searched YouTube and Google and found nothing. I wasn't even sure what to search for in terms of words. At least now I know the podcast isn't coming back. I was wondering why there was dead silence on the Come on Down with Rich Fields YouTube page and Facebook page as well as Rich's Facebook page. Seems like they could have at least told us the podcast wasn't coming back.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #79 on: February 17, 2023, 09:19:54 AM »
A very simple Google search will lead you to the moment.  Perhaps some of the suggestions Google offers when you start searching will lead you there.  But, in a couple of words, it's gross.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #80 on: February 17, 2023, 09:55:43 AM »
Usually, if you use FTVlive, you will always have the ability to find these things. They only addressed the resignation today, though.

Full honesty though, this is certainly adding to the feeling that he's a toxic personality. The fact Tegna let him resign without ever addressing it.....sigh, but not a surprise of the business. Communication in the communication business stops when the accused is a staff member.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 10:04:47 AM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Combs

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #81 on: February 17, 2023, 12:07:25 PM »
Usually, if you use FTVlive, you will always have the ability to find these things. They only addressed the resignation today, though.

Full honesty though, this is certainly adding to the feeling that he's a toxic personality. The fact Tegna let him resign without ever addressing it.....sigh, but not a surprise of the business. Communication in the communication business stops when the accused is a staff member.

Wow. I'm at a loss for words. What made him think that was an okay thing to say, even as a joke? Is he really that obtuse? How could he not know what the end result would be? That was indeed, awful and yes, gross.

He was scheduled to have Burton Richardson on the podcast around the time this happened. Makes me wonder how Burton feels now. Kathleen Bradley too. Has Rich's former co-host Dave Wagner said anything? Roger Dobkowitz? I imagine no one has, but it makes me wonder.

When the podcast first went on break in November, they said it was because they were building a new set. I guess that was just spin to cover for what actually happened. It sure makes sense why we haven't heard a word in three months though. Was Rich suspended for those three months and they just now decided his fate?

Roadgeek Adam, thank you sir, for pointing me in the right direction.

I still can't believe he said that.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #82 on: February 17, 2023, 02:48:11 PM »
It's talk first, think later. He is probably that obtuse.

As for the quiet. As I alluded to earlier, communication of staff issues in the news business gets very sketchy. Some stations (like WABC) openly state when a staffer has been arrested or something (just look up the Heidi Jones story). But generally it operates like this where it's crickets for months and then the bio vanishes and never seen on air again. Happens all the time. Rich was just suspended until he "resigned".
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #83 on: February 17, 2023, 04:06:54 PM »
I just listened to it. Horrible remark to make, and the fact he was apparently trying to be funny is even worse.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 04:08:55 PM by Hag »
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline jerseyfla

• Outside in Line
« Reply #84 on: February 17, 2023, 05:55:54 PM »
Wow! That is BAD! I noticed on the podcast that he would make jokes and giggle at himself a lot. And the talent on WTSP are mostly young cheaper talent or newbies to the market except for Dave Wagner who was at one point the main anchor for a year or two in the 90s before being demoted to just 5pm for ratings reasons. Dave departed in 1999 and roamed a bunch of markets before coming back last year. Their newscasts are the typical TEGNA unconventional newscast format which the market doesn't like as shown in the ratings. I'm sure their talent was very triggered by that remark and created a hostile work environment hence the "discussions" leading to his career path change. Now I wonder if Rich got too comfortable and over his head at Television City to where he made crude jokes off set and the post-Dobkowitz/Barker brass and Drew got tired of it so they wouldn't renew his contract. But if that was the case, why would KCBS/KCAL hire him afterward? Also KCBS/KCAL's studios are in Studio City and not Television City like TPIR. Hmm.

Has anyone read Randy West's book and were there any negative comments about Rich? I haven't bought the book yet, but I am curious. I knew Rich mentioned he was competing against "a Rod Roddy wannabe who lost his breath easily". I have to think that was pre-weight loss Randy.
« Last Edit: February 17, 2023, 05:59:23 PM by jerseyfla »

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #85 on: February 17, 2023, 11:26:46 PM »
The name "Rich Fields" does not appear in Randy's book.
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline Sotc2022

• In the Audience
« Reply #86 on: February 19, 2023, 01:10:46 PM »
The name "Rich Fields" does not appear in Randy's book.

Ebook version? Nice

Offline compdude512

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #87 on: February 21, 2023, 11:01:15 AM »
I'm just getting around to learning about this, and all I can say is, "wow." I'm not a big fan of "fluff" conversation on news broadcasts as a former journalism student, and this is a great example of why. When your on-air talent is encouraged by producers to go out and "ham it up" to appear more approachable to the viewing audience, you open yourself up to off-the-wall comments like this going over your air. I'm extremely disappointed in Rich for thinking the comment he made was anywhere near acceptable, and I'm stunned as to why he thought it was a good idea.

What Rich and Dave gave us with the enjoyable guest list we saw on the podcast while things lasted was something we as game show fans couldn't get anywhere else, and it's unfortunate things had to end the way they did. I hope someone out there can pick up where things left off and continue with a similar podcast. If not, I sadly don't see any mainstream outlets running to folks like Kathleen, Shane, Burton, Bob, David, Kathy, and Roger to ask for hour-long candid interviews with no commercial interruptions.

Now I wonder if Rich got too comfortable and over his head at Television City to where he made crude jokes off set and the post-Dobkowitz/Barker brass and Drew got tired of it so they wouldn't renew his contract. But if that was the case, why would KCBS/KCAL hire him afterward?

The news business knows that fewer and fewer eyes are on their broadcasts every year, which translates to fewer advertising dollars for the station. When the former announcer from a smash-hit show like "Price" with Bob Barker knocks on your door, you hire him knowing you can milk as much publicity out of it as possible and potentially get some of those eyes from "Price" on your news show.

I'm not sure how they promoted Rich at KCBS/KCAL in his early days, but I'd be surprised to hear they weren't heavily running promos to the effect of, "tune in to the news to see the announcer from 'Price' doing the weather," or simply putting Rich himself on camera to do teasers in between commercials on "Price". Even if they did know about Rich's alleged backstage commentary, I don't recall it being discussed anywhere outside of diehards on game show fan boards at the time. It was a low risk/(potential) high reward proposition for the KCBS/KCAL brass.
"We, in fact, like it when people criticize what we've done on the show because it means you're thinking about the show." -Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters.