Author Topic: General Primetime Broadcast Network Game Shows Discussion Thread  (Read 4806 times)

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
Rather than bumping Ccook’s thread about the cancellations of four primetime game shows that aired on ABC, that also included talk about other primetime game shows. I am starting a new one to cover the general primetime game shows airing in the coming weeks or will soon be premiering months from now.

First up is a trailer for Password from The Tonight Show Starring Jimmy Fallon’s YouTube channel. Though the trailer may be focused too much on Jimmy Fallon, it revealed that Heidi Klum, Jon Hamm, and Martin Short are among the celebrity guests on the show in a two night premiere (August 9 at 10/9 & August 10 at 9/8).

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
Re: General Primetime Broadcast Network Game Shows Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: July 01, 2022, 09:16:23 AM »
A notable lack of restraint and too much hamming it up. But I'll reserve full judgment until I see a full episode when it premieres.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: July 11, 2022, 10:32:54 AM »
For those that watched The Final Straw last night, initial thoughts? I thought it was alright, but overall not super interesting. Janelle James didn't do much actual hosting. And is it me, or does the bonus round seem really easy?

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: July 11, 2022, 11:39:20 AM »
For those that watched The Final Straw last night, initial thoughts? I thought it was alright, but overall not super interesting. Janelle James didn't do much actual hosting. And is it me, or does the bonus round seem really easy?

Basically, it looks like a fancier version of Jenga.

The bonus part did seem moderately easy, but that may just depend on how those playing it do so - if someone is not as good and pulls out the wrong pieces first, they would probably have a harder time getting to the upper levels.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #4 on: July 15, 2022, 08:13:17 PM »
It's not a record in terms of how absent the whammies were within an episode, but if one blinked, they might have missed them or not.

Debbie didn't win as much as last week's winner, but man was she great on PYL?!  Obviously, the hour was very decent.  Great haul; as mentioned elsewhere, that was a ton of prizes, maybe a record there!

August can't come soon enough.  There's no expectation for me for the new Password, but it just has the feeling of must-see TV.  Can't really compare it to classic stuff right now or really even after the premiere
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #5 on: July 16, 2022, 12:10:21 PM »
So how long before we see a "Karen" Whammy? (Or does Tammy Whammette already cover that?)😄😉
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline RatRace10

« Reply #6 on: July 16, 2022, 08:32:28 PM »
So how long before we see a "Karen" Whammy? (Or does Tammy Whammette already cover that?)😄😉
How can she if her name is Tammy? Also that would be a total disrespect to all the past and potential PYL contestants who are named Karen, or any staff members on the show (not sure if there are any, I've never checked the credits). Not to mention that whole trope is just plain sexist. It's wrong and it needs to die.

They have enough Whammies as it is and they can be way more creative.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #7 on: July 16, 2022, 11:29:49 PM »
The only appropriate "Karen" whammy would be one that somehow references this contestant from the 80s version:

:oldlol: :-D

Offline jude_este

• Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #8 on: August 08, 2022, 11:07:03 AM »
The Tonight Show YouTube channel uploaded the first round of the Password revival, which includes Jimmy and Jon Hamm honoring Betty White.

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #9 on: November 27, 2022, 06:19:08 PM »
Some PYL news:

Tuesday, December 6 will be a special Christmas episode, it will air at 9pm Eastern.  Additionally, the unaired episode from September 8 due to the Queen's death is slated to air on December 15
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: November 27, 2022, 10:48:59 PM »
Celebrity Wheel of Fortune and $100,000 Pyramid will also be airing holiday themed episodes December 6 with PYL.

Offline Letswinitnow

• Outside in Line
« Reply #11 on: November 27, 2022, 10:49:23 PM »
Additionally, the unaired episode from September 8 due to the Queen's death is slated to air on December 15

Source? The Futon Critic did not say that.

Offline jude_este

• Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #12 on: January 11, 2023, 12:22:56 PM »
A brief update as ABC has renewed Press Your Luck & Celebrity Family Feud no word yet on any other renewals as of this posting.

https://deadline.com/2023/01/claim-to-fame-celebrity-family-feud-press-your-luck-renewed-abc-1235217667/

And it may be news that is a couple of days old, but CBS uploaded gameplay clips of the Lingo revival, including this clip featuring a gameplay feature called Lucky Balls.

Offline FieldsFan336

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Pika!
    • Behind the Microphone: The Rich Fields Fan Site
« Reply #13 on: January 13, 2023, 01:55:11 PM »
So now it's more than likely that the season 4 PYL episode pre-empted for the Queen's death back in September will be incorporated into the season 5 schedule, much like what season 3 did with the remaining season 2s due to the pandemic
Rich Fields' #1 Fan for Life / 2011 CSS playoffs bronze medalist / Blitz Club (sole survivor of the Survivor special) / First QSW 5/9/23

Offline AussieEvil

• Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #14 on: January 19, 2023, 08:31:07 PM »
So let me get this out of the way... The new version of Lingo blows, B-L-O-W-S. Should have been just called "Wordle: The Game Show." If I were to make a new version of Lingo, it would have been more like the current Dutch version, with the GSN Bonus Lingo rules. What we have here is Lingo's equivalent to 2001 Card Sharks, sorry.
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."