Author Topic: The $100,000 Pyramid with Michael Strahan – Season Six  (Read 17783 times)

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
Re: The $100,000 Pyramid with Michael Strahan – Season Six
« Reply #15 on: July 18, 2022, 07:46:27 AM »
Do I have this right? So far, there have been nine $150,000 payoffs.

You're correct. Here's the breakdown by season:
  • Season 1 (2016): None
  • Season 2 (2017): 3
  • Season 3 (2018): 3
  • Season 4 (2019): 2
  • Season 5 (2021): 1

It was great to see Tatiana win $100,000 in the Winner's Circle. Her clue of "Cheetos Cheese Curls" was ace. Last season saw only one $100,000 winner (who was also that season's $150,000 winner), so I hope we have more $100,000 winners this season.

Also, to others who mentioned this, I too thought it was odd that the clue "State that starts with an 'A'" was not cuckooed in the main game. Also, in the first Winner's Circle in the second half, "Peeing on a fire hydrant" was strangely not buzzed for "Things a Dog Does."
« Last Edit: July 18, 2022, 07:49:58 AM by goldroadfanatic »
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #16 on: July 18, 2022, 11:10:21 AM »
Also, in the first Winner's Circle in the second half, "Peeing on a fire hydrant" was strangely not buzzed for "Things a Dog Does."

Why would it be - that is, in fact, something that many dogs do, so it seems to be a logical choice?

Offline goldroadfanatic

• 2/22/2024
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • One Dollar!
« Reply #17 on: July 18, 2022, 11:18:17 AM »
Because "on" makes the phrase prepositional, which is forbidden in many Winner's Circle subjects (the exception being "What ____ Would Say," which gives clue-givers a lot of leeway).
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: July 18, 2022, 12:04:05 PM »
Because "on" makes the phrase prepositional, which is forbidden in many Winner's Circle subjects (the exception being "What ____ Would Say," which gives clue-givers a lot of leeway).

Perhaps then this is also an exception to said rule (given that they didn't do anything about it).

Offline WilliamPorygon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #19 on: July 18, 2022, 07:03:59 PM »
Yeah, the judging felt really off.

Accepting "a pedicure, manicure" for mani-pedi seems off at first, but I guess it would count as having separately given both parts of a multi-part answer, which they've generally allowed.

There's no way "starts with [letter]" should've been allowed, period.  Only time it might be okay I think is when the category is already words that start with the given letter.

I remember hearing from an interview a few years ago that they said they tend to be very lenient with the judging on the first box in the winner's circle, which is probably why they let "peeing on a fire hydrant" slide but not "the sun in your eyes" later on.  And is also probably an example of why they *shouldn't* be more lenient just because it's the first box, because now it makes it that much harder to satisfactorily explain to the audience why the last box got the buzzer.  (To be quite honest, they never explain this rule satisfactorily to begin with, pretty much never mentioning or explaining "prepositional phrase" and just giving a vague "it was descriptive" that doesn't tell people who don't already know the rules anything.)

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
« Reply #20 on: July 18, 2022, 10:44:37 PM »
Hands: Thumb, fingers, knuckles, lifelines
Penn.: Philadelphia, Harrisburg, Scranton, Wilkes Barre
Potato Chips: Ruffles, Lays, Cape Cod, Pringles
Puffed: Rice, Smoke, The new Cheez-its, Cheetos
Fast: Road Runner, Mcdonald's food, Ambulance, Fire Truck, Marathon Racer
Stand: Ladder, Olympic Podium, Your own two feet, Your ground
Sticks: Drum, Pogo, Popsicle, Chop, Gum
Flop: Poorly rated TV show, Bad Movie, A store's sale

Total cash won: $124,500 Season total: $240,500
1st $100,000 win of the season.
1 Mystery 7 won.
Little Rock for "Arkansas".

Stand: The Promises...         Standing on the Promises is  a song that you sing at church..  If you are not familiar with church songs you may not have  guessed it

Offline plinkostick1

• In the Audience
« Reply #21 on: July 20, 2022, 01:18:34 AM »
I've complained far too much about the judging on this show (and previous versions). Generally each show there's at least one judgement I either disagree with or don't understand. As mentioned, accepting "pedicure manicure" for "mani-pedi" but then they didn't accept "mowing the lawn" for "mower". You could argue different forms one's a noun, one's a verb, but the word right before it was "argument" and they accepted "arguing".

Offline PGS25

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #22 on: July 24, 2022, 10:28:38 PM »
Can someone PLEASE explain the tiebreaker? I'm still confused.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #23 on: July 24, 2022, 10:37:59 PM »
Can someone PLEASE explain the tiebreaker? I'm still confused.

Whichever team got their point total in the fastest aggregate amount of time wins. Stay with me now, my explanation might confuse you even further.

On the original Dick Clark Pyramid series, whenever the first team got all seven words in their tiebreaker round, the amount of time they had left was subtracted from 30, and that’s how much time the second team had to match that score. For example, if a team got their seventh point with five seconds left on the clock, the second team needed to get all seven in 25 seconds or less.

That’s sort of what the current version is doing. Both teams have their rounds’ times recorded. If they score seven points in a category, the amount of elapsed time between the start of that category and the seventh point is recorded. Otherwise, the amount of time for that category is recorded as 30 seconds. Whichever team has the lowest total time between the three categories wins.

I apologize if my explanation made things even more confusing for you. And of course, anybody here can correct me if I interpreted the rules incorrectly.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 10:41:31 PM by ooboh »

Offline PGS25

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #24 on: July 24, 2022, 10:51:51 PM »
I'm aware of the Dick Clark rules. So its basically being the fastest within 90 seconds.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: July 24, 2022, 11:01:39 PM »
On the July 24th episode, first half-hour: Ken Jennings is also a great Pyramid player. I am not surprised.

Two $50K wins! A Mystery 7 win! A 21-21 tie! (No $5,000 for the tie breaker. 😊) 

Hmmm. Things That Are Free. Isn’t “entirely discounted” synonymous with “free”? Should that have been buzzed? I thought of “Costco samples”. And “Glad bags” and “Hefty bags” were great clues for Things In A Trash Can (Garbage). Anyone for “Oscar The Grouch”? 😊

On the second half-hour: If necessary, I would have said “A streetcar named..." to help the contestant get the word ‘desirable’.

Another Mystery 7 win! A $100K try!

Hiko went an entirely different route with Things In A Delivery Room than I would have. “The screaming pregnant mother”? “The doctor”? And I came up with “a shiny car” for Waxed Things, but using the word “Brazilian” was good thinking.

So was saying "A dive one" for Kinds of Bars. Would my "A candy one" have helped? Ah... I now think "A Hershey one" would have been better.

Three buzzes for Hiko in his Winner's Circle rounds. I felt for him though when he got one of those for using the word "ball" for What Pinball Might Say.
« Last Edit: July 24, 2022, 11:12:52 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #26 on: July 24, 2022, 11:11:07 PM »
I'm aware of the Dick Clark rules. So its basically being the fastest within 90 seconds.

Essentially, yes. If neither team gets 7/7 in their first two categories, then whichever team scored their last point first wins.

Offline PGS25

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #27 on: July 24, 2022, 11:27:05 PM »
Week: "There are 7 days in me.", "There are 52 of me in a year."
Juice: Grape, Cran-Apple, V8
Free: Monopoly's parking space, A Buy 1 Get 1 Coupon, An app only offer
Mayor: "I'm the job held by Ed Koch, Bill De Blassio, and Tom Bradley."
Cozy: A nook, fireplace, blanket
Computer: Surf the internet, type letters, print letters, send email
Waxed: Floors, Surfboards, Legs, Steve Carrell's chest, Madame Tousseau's (sp.) figures
Pinball: "I'm the video arcade game that "tilts"." "I'm associated with The Who's "Wizard"."
Picnic: The food, basket, ants, Yogi Bear

Total cash won: $118,000. Season total: $358,500
2 $50,000 ties so far.
Both Mystery 7's won
"_____ To Exhale" would have been perfect for "Waiting". or a server at a restaurant could have led him to "waiting.
Hiko just ran into some bad luck in both winner's circle rounds. It was not meant to be.

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #28 on: July 24, 2022, 11:32:04 PM »
Free: Monopoly's parking space
I really like. :)

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: July 25, 2022, 06:56:42 AM »
Juice: Grape, Cran-Apple, V8, fruit punch, orange, lemon
Free: Monopoly's parking space, A Buy 1 Get 1 Coupon, An app only offer, trials, expressways, democracies
Mayor: "I'm the job held by Ed Koch, Bill De Blassio, Richard Daley, and Tom Bradley."
Computer: Surf the internet, type letters, print letters, send email, click and drag a mouse, insert a floppy disc, input programming languages
Waxed: Floors, Surfboards, Legs, Steve Carrell's chest, Madame Tousseau's (sp.) figures, cars
Pinball: "You'll find me at an arcade and have flippers bumpers, and multiball."
Picnic: The food, basket, ants, Yogi Bear, a blanket

My additions in bold. The first half hour was especially fantastic, with the trip up the second Winner's Circle done in 31 seconds.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/