Author Topic: The $100,000 Pyramid with Michael Strahan – Season Six  (Read 17729 times)

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: The $100,000 Pyramid with Michael Strahan – Season Six
« Reply #30 on: July 25, 2022, 08:03:52 AM »
Pinball: "You'll find me at an arcade and have flippers bumpers, and multiball."
Buzz! Unfortunately you essentially fell into the same trap Hiko did. “Ball” in Pinball.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #31 on: July 25, 2022, 10:46:16 AM »
My additions in bold. The first half hour was especially fantastic, with the trip up the second Winner's Circle done in 31 seconds.

Forgive me if I’m exaggerating, but the first episode of last night’s Pyramid could be among the greatest in the history of the 50-year franchise. The two teams combined to score 83 out of a possible 84 points and both players completed their Winner’s Circle round. I’m not sure how many times that happened on the Dick Clark version.

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
« Reply #32 on: July 26, 2022, 09:17:12 PM »
If I  remember right,  was the record for the fastest time in the winners circle was Billy Crystal at 30 seconds?

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: July 26, 2022, 09:36:19 PM »
If I  remember right,  was the record for the fastest time in the winners circle was Billy Crystal at 30 seconds?
The record is [unless something's happened that I don't know about] 26 seconds, with Crystal.

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
« Reply #34 on: July 26, 2022, 10:23:52 PM »
The record is [unless something's happened that I don't know about] 26 seconds, with Crystal.

I knew it something like that.

Thanks

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: July 31, 2022, 10:01:04 PM »
On the July 31st episode, first half hour: Should I say this? Well, I kinda figured we would have low scores during the main game. The players did get better as time went on though, and we got a $100K win!

Did the judge accept “tricycle” for “a bike”??

I would have emphatically said “THE Olympic one” for Types of Torches, and I too thought of “Tiki ones”. Good job by the contestant using “warm water”, “bubble” and “relaxing” in clues for Types of Baths.

Nice pass and return on Words That Contain an ‘X’ for the 100K. I would have avoided the word “X-ray”, but it was accepted for the win.

On the second half-hour: Another $100K try!

I don’t know if “Dionne Warwick’s Gold” would have helped, but I would have said it for Solid Things. That came to me after “A Rock”. How about “Ice”? I also thought of “yeasty bread” for Things That Go Up (Rise), but I liked J.J’s “good stock prices” too.

"E Pluribus Unum". "Et Cetera". My clues for Latin Words (Phrases). I wouldn't have gone J.J's pig Latin route, but it worked.

Arghh! So much time (about 36 seconds!) for Things You Meet.  Strahan’s “The Fockers” was excellent; I came up with “your deadline”. 
« Last Edit: July 31, 2022, 10:08:26 PM by GameShowKid »

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: August 01, 2022, 12:52:39 AM »
And now, hours later, I think of "the press" (for Things You Meet). :-)

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #37 on: August 01, 2022, 02:40:49 AM »
I understand that it's an ABC cross-promotional, but celebrities from The Bachelor? Really? They honestly scraped the bottom of the barrel for that one.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #38 on: August 01, 2022, 06:19:56 AM »
I see it as no different than the soap stars of the old days, tbh.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #39 on: August 01, 2022, 06:55:13 AM »
I see it as no different than the soap stars of the old days, tbh.
Being a soap star actually requires talent, so a bit of a false equivalency there.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #40 on: August 01, 2022, 08:28:29 AM »
It does, but to defend reality TV stars in general, you have to have skills in order to compete.  Or good looks.  While you don't need talent, you can't be a total nothing either.

I think the comparison here is that the show is going to go with the big & popular TV shows for their celebrities, and that includes current TV programming more often than not.  It wasn't completely exclusive to soap starts back in the day; certain sitcoms and primetime shows would be included.  The Bachelor might not be a fan favorite to several people, but there are a ton of people who have & still watch it.  It not uncommon for people to watch bad television from start to finish, but the Bachelor & Bachelorette have been on the network for a couple decades.

So it's not surprising to see their stars on Pyramid.  There are a lot of shows I probably will not spend a second of my time watching, but if there's an ounce of success, plus a following & other factors, you'll see them on Pyramid (and other gameshows) more often than not
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline plinkostick1

• In the Audience
« Reply #41 on: August 01, 2022, 12:20:41 PM »
Another gripe, buzzing gelatin for "Jell-O" which may be what "Jell-O" is named after but they are entirely separate words. Then accepting "X-Ray" for words that contain an X which I guess by the letter of the law it is a word like any other that contains the letter X but seems to obvious. I think xylophone and x-ray are the only things you need to list to have 99% of people to guess "words that's start with X", which would be accepted.

Guess I would've said "a strong foundation" for solid, "a first date, a new boss, a new friend" for meet.

Offline PGS25

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #42 on: August 01, 2022, 12:22:50 PM »
Morning: Breakfast, rooster, sunrise, The TODAY show.
Fix: Broken toy, broken car, broken TV, broken relationship
Spider: Black widow, Tarantula
Candles: Birthday cake, menorah, Liberace's piano
Sandwich: PB & J, footlong, club, BLT
Go up (Rise): Balloon, gas prices, grocery prices, the morning sun, yeasted dough
Solid: Ice, gold, Ashford & Simpson's Rock
Lava: "I am the molten substance that comes out of a volcano."
Meet: A new friend, your girlfriend's parents, your girlfriend's relatives

Total cash won: $134,500. Season total: $493,000
No Mystery 7 wins

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: August 01, 2022, 01:22:40 PM »
Another gripe, buzzing gelatin for "Jell-O" which may be what "Jell-O" is named after but they are entirely separate words. Then accepting "X-Ray" for words that contain an X which I guess by the letter of the law it is a word like any other that contains the letter X but seems to obvious. I think xylophone and x-ray are the only things you need to list to have 99% of people to guess "words that's start with X", which would be accepted.
Pyramid is both a game of words and of sounds; for example, I would have said "A magician does magic these" for Trix (the cereal). This is not to say I've agreed with all of the official judgement calls on the show; I haven't. And I would have gone with words like "Xanax" and "Pemex" for Words Than Contain an 'X', fearing I'd get buzzed for saying "X-ray".

Offline GameShowKid

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #44 on: August 01, 2022, 01:25:56 PM »
Solid: Ice, gold, Ashford & Simpson's Rock
Meet: A new friend, your girlfriend's parents, your girlfriend's relatives
I especially like these. :-)  Great thinking.