Author Topic: Discord ban because I got hacked  (Read 4225 times)

Offline jlgarfield

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Rider Pride!
Discord ban because I got hacked
« on: July 17, 2022, 09:32:50 PM »
Hi, I got banned from the GR Discord server because my account got hacked; I have rectified the problem. I apologize for any trouble I may have caused and I promise it won't happen again.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 09:35:54 PM by jlgarfield »

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
Re: Discord ban because I got hacked
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 09:48:18 PM »
Unbanned.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: July 18, 2022, 09:46:01 PM »
You should find a legal company to work with - whatever you used to use for the chat was fine, but I was attempting to read it today (thinking the episode was new, being it mentioned Christmas in July) and they discriminatorily prohibit some people from registering even to read since they REQUIRE you to verify something with a text, which is IMPOSSIBLE for some to do (the phone on the wall doesn't receive texts, even though that phone would verify location better than any cell phone ever made, since it can NOT be moved and still work).

Not your fault, but perhaps no one here knew that was the case!

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #3 on: July 19, 2022, 12:54:16 AM »
Two-factor identification is pretty standard these days. Don’t see it going away. That’s the cost of living in a world with more spambots than landline users.

Have you tried signing up for a free Google Voice number? Those can receive and respond to texts.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: July 19, 2022, 02:44:17 PM »
Two-factor identification is pretty standard these days. Don’t see it going away. That’s the cost of living in a world with more spambots than landline users.

Have you tried signing up for a free Google Voice number? Those can receive and respond to texts.

They could still do that by calling the number given and giving a code that is entered (as many other companies do), but they refuse to.  Just wanted people running this to know that, so that they don't offer things in that forum that some posters may not be able to read or participate in (as you don't need that to just sign up and post, which is a good thing and doesn't cause issues for the most part).

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #5 on: July 19, 2022, 04:30:14 PM »
The mods of this site have no control over what Discord's verification policies are.

More to the point, I don't see this site switching away from using Discord anytime soon. It's the most popular chat software in the world, and a platform that most young people are familiar with, even moreso than forums.

It does make things difficult for people without a cell phone, and that's unfortunate. But 1) there are ways around it--a Google Voice number is free--and 2) I think you're the first person since the switch in 2017 that's wanted to discuss TPIR online in a live chatroom setting AND doesn't have a cell phone.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: July 22, 2022, 11:18:45 AM »
The mods of this site have no control over what Discord's verification policies are.

More to the point, I don't see this site switching away from using Discord anytime soon. It's the most popular chat software in the world, and a platform that most young people are familiar with, even moreso than forums.

It does make things difficult for people without a cell phone, and that's unfortunate. But 1) there are ways around it--a Google Voice number is free--and 2) I think you're the first person since the switch in 2017 that's wanted to discuss TPIR online in a live chatroom setting AND doesn't have a cell phone.

I wasn't even trying to discuss anything, just trying to read to see if anyone else was posting, since it seemed odd that they were having what looked like a new show (given that it starts by saying Christmas IN JULY, even though it turns out to just be a rerun of the shows done at the actual Christmas time).  That's why it seems odd to have to go through all that just to read what others are saying, since even on the site you can read posts without being registered.

Not even sure why this was changed, as the original (as I remember) didn't have any need for this "extra" stuff.

That, of course, IS something that those running the site could control (that is, they didn't need to switch something just to use a popular brand, if they had one that was going along without doing so).

Offline TPIRfan#9821

• 4/23/2020
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • ghost in the more-than-shell bedroom
« Reply #7 on: July 22, 2022, 02:22:18 PM »
They didn't switch to Discord because it's popular; they switched because after a server move in 2017, the chat was borderline unusable and crashed the site during showtime, and the Discord started out as an emergency move, which turned into the current solution.

/also IIRC it was a Flash chat, Flash is dead, so we would have had to move eventually
"If any show, forget sports, Price is Right, [the audience is] the star of the show. Somebody... coming on down and losing their minds, and ... crying, that's the show. The show isn't me, the show isn't necessarily [a] can of soup, how much that is, it's watching people go bananas, and there's going to be some of that missing."

-Drew Carey, interview with Athletic, September 16, 2020

"I honestly thought the doubler was gone, but 9821 going $0 makes sense"

-thatvhstapeguy, Discord message, April 5, 2023

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #8 on: July 23, 2022, 12:04:39 AM »
/also IIRC it was a Flash chat, Flash is dead, so we would have had to move eventually

Indeed it was.  I can distinctly remember downloading some sketchy Flash-enabler for my Galaxy SIII (that’s been a minute ago…) to access the chat back in 2013ish.  It would load…and that’s about all it would do lol.

We’ve come quite a long ways.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker