Author Topic: Not that the show really needed to but...  (Read 2259 times)

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In Contestant's Row
Not that the show really needed to but...
« on: July 17, 2022, 05:42:37 PM »
Did the powers that be on "Price" purposely have Plinko debut on Monday, January 3rd 1983, knowing that NBC was airing three new game shows that morning? 

I'm guessing not, as I'm supposing that there was no big announcement for the previous episode about the upcoming of Plinko.  Not entirely sure but was just something that I was curious about.

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
Re: Not that the show really needed to but...
« Reply #1 on: July 17, 2022, 05:46:49 PM »
The three game shows that debuted on NBC the same day Plinko debuted were not up against TPIR (correct me if I'm mistaken), so that is likely another reason why the debut of Plinko that day had nothing to do with NBC launching three new game shows that same day.

The debut of Plinko was also a surprise as was many pricing game debuts during those days, though Bob did mention there was a new pricing game that day at the start of the show that day.  No viewer knew it was coming beforehand.
« Last Edit: July 17, 2022, 05:51:13 PM by FanOfDrew87 »

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: July 17, 2022, 08:36:30 PM »
I think it's more that NBC was moving Wheel of Fortune to be directly against the first half of Price, at 11am, on 1/3/83. But that's just my take.

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: July 18, 2022, 07:14:21 AM »
I actually think it was intentional to combat against Sale of the Century which was another merchandise show that always featured a luxury car on stage.  Again, I am not sure what impact adding Plinko that day could make, but maybe it prevented a few channel switchers back in the day!

Offline tybuki

• In the Audience
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 10:33:04 AM »
The three game shows that debuted on NBC the same day Plinko debuted were not up against TPIR (correct me if I'm mistaken), so that is likely another reason why the debut of Plinko that day had nothing to do with NBC launching three new game shows that same day.
Hit Man premiered at 1130 AM ET, so yeah, it was up against TPIR.