Author Topic: The Price is Right Production Code Update  (Read 2598 times)

Online Thatgameshowguy

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Hi ho, hi ho!
The Price is Right Production Code Update
« on: July 27, 2022, 11:05:26 PM »
Welp, it's official. After 9993K (short week) we will have episode 0011L.

Full season calendar updated on the website.

https://priceisright.com/calendar/
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Re: The Price is Right Production Code Update
« Reply #1 on: July 28, 2022, 08:15:53 AM »
I feel like Lizzo right about now....."it's about damn time"  :P

No 9995K though, aww.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Season 15 cash earnings: $151,769
Season 16 cash earnings: $274,708 (+$31,284 scrimmage cash)
Season 17 cash earnings: $350,902
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

“People who are crazy enough to think they can change the world, are the ones who do.” – Rob Siltanen

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: July 28, 2022, 08:52:09 AM »
For the first time, the letter within the code looks like it has absolutely no meaning, besides simply just being that L comes alphabetically next. Perhaps L for "lazy"?
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: July 28, 2022, 12:22:04 PM »
For the first time, the letter within the code looks like it has absolutely no meaning, besides simply just being that L comes alphabetically next. Perhaps L for "lazy"?

K doesn't mean much either.  The originals did (the D for day or N for Night) but beyond that...

Not that any of it really does much, given that they don't count in order and skip numbers all along, so the total number doesn't mean the total episodes.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #4 on: July 28, 2022, 01:28:50 PM »
K doesn't mean much either.  The originals did (the D for day or N for Night) but beyond that...

K means "thousand."

Honestly, L makes as much sense as anything else they could have picked -- after all, the L numbers are just the ones that come after the K numbers, and L does come right after K.  Besides, you can't fault the show's staff in 1972 for not predicting that it would be on long enough to run out of production numbers twice.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #5 on: July 28, 2022, 03:21:04 PM »
And to think that all of this could have been avoided had the staff simply opted to go from 9995D to 10001D.
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: July 28, 2022, 05:37:54 PM »
And to think that all of this could have been avoided had the staff simply opted to go from 9995D to 10001D.

I wonder if they had some kind of archaic technology that prevented them from inputting five-digit production numbers a la the Y2K problem?

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #7 on: July 28, 2022, 10:41:13 PM »
L makes the most sense.

However, man, why couldn't we get an updated calendar for Season 50, was it just forgotten?
Season 41 - Season 43, Season 46 - Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: July 28, 2022, 11:22:02 PM »
I wonder if they had some kind of archaic technology that prevented them from inputting five-digit production numbers a la the Y2K problem?

They did that in 1996. Was Y2K even on the radar then?

Offline garffreak

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: July 28, 2022, 11:40:54 PM »
Well, I was bloviating about this back in November (http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,32743.msg494580.html).  My guess was off, but blozier2006 nailed on the head - just go with the next letter. 

I was too busy making a K = 1000 M = 1000000 but use M anyway theory.
New TPiR Announcer: Gilbert Gottfried.  See?  Things *can* be worse.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: July 29, 2022, 01:45:39 AM »
Well, I was bloviating about this back in November (http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,32743.msg494580.html).  My guess was off, but blozier2006 nailed on the head - just go with the next letter. 

I was too busy making a K = 1000 M = 1000000 but use M anyway theory.
And that was basically me talking out of my ass when I typed that... I had no expectation they'd actually DO it! :P

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #11 on: July 29, 2022, 04:21:23 PM »
K means "thousand."

Honestly, L makes as much sense as anything else they could have picked -- after all, the L numbers are just the ones that come after the K numbers, and L does come right after K.  Besides, you can't fault the show's staff in 1972 for not predicting that it would be on long enough to run out of production numbers twice.

Yes, I know that K is used for thousand in some cases, but the point being it wasn't here (since after getting to 9995D, they weren't going to a thousand of anything - there were already more than a thousand shows).

Offline gsn93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: July 29, 2022, 05:01:29 PM »
Yes, I know that K is used for thousand in some cases, but the point being it wasn't here (since after getting to 9995D, they weren't going to a thousand of anything - there were already more than a thousand shows).

The production number is based on the production week hence them going to "K" after week #999. They wanted to keep the four digit code intact instead of adding a extra number at the front. So it does makes sense in this context.
Total HYO Winnings: $101,775(as of 5/10/10)

Offline thepriceis_J

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: July 29, 2022, 07:31:45 PM »

Yeah, as mentioned, Steve's point is that it *was* being used to mean thousands in the case of Price. That is confirmed.

The production code means #[week of production][show of the week][D/K]. Not the total number of shows. Yes, as also mentioned earlier in this thread, D in this case stood for daytime since they also launched an concurrent nighttime series at the same time. But, when they reached the 999th week of production, there was no longer a nighttime show (two others, of course, had come and gone), so they logically, in their view, went with K to stand for the 1000th week of production.

Why they didn't go with a five digit production code in 1996 is anyone's guess. Perhaps one Roger or someone else can, or already has, answered. As someone else further mentioned earlier, I very well wouldn't be surprised if it stemmed from a Y2K fear. It was most definitely on the radar by '96. People were definitely talking about it for quite a while even if it didn't reach it's hype peak and news saturation until 1999 itself.

I agree with Steve, there really wasn't much more they could do next in terms of using a letter that made sense. As was said, no one could've predicted that this show would last for 2,000 weeks and nearly 10,000 episodes in 1972. That was unheard of and unfathomable to think possible. So, now that we're here, they might as well do the simplest thing which I don't think is lazy at all. Not that it matters in terms of show content, it will still be fun to actually be pay attention as we enter a new era of codes (I wasn't paying attention in 1996).
« Last Edit: July 29, 2022, 07:35:14 PM by thepriceis_J »
"WHO GOT BIRDS?" - Snoop Dogg
Coming on Down since Season 20!
Season 13 & 14 CSS Champion

Me: Of all of the game shows you've hosted, besides Jeopardy!, like High Rollers or Classic Concentration, which is your favorite?
Alex Trebek: I'd have to say To Tell The Truth, because it was the first time in my career that I got to sit down while I was hosting.

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #14 on: July 30, 2022, 09:52:06 AM »
Just wondering, what is the exact number of aired episodes as of today, not counting any remaining S50 episodes set to air in August?