Author Topic: Does Anyone Know...  (Read 7109 times)

Offline 2ndGenerationContestant

• Outside in Line
Does Anyone Know...
« on: May 31, 2007, 05:02:17 PM »
First off, GREAT site, very informative and interesting :-)

Here's my question, does anyone know if there has ever been a 3rd Generation Contestant??

Here's the story:  My mom was on the show when it was a 1/2 hour night time show in 1973, I was on the show in 1983 and my son turns 18 next Monday the 4th and we have tickets for the June 5th show(talk about cutting it close)

I'm having shirts made that play on the 3rd Generation Contestant angle and thought I'd ask the group if they know.

My mom pretty much watches every day and doesn't think that this has ever happened; but I thought I'd throw it out there.

Thanks!!!

Valerie

Offline junkaholic95

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Does Anyone Know...
« Reply #1 on: May 31, 2007, 06:01:40 PM »
First off, welcome to the site!  Secondly, I don't know this for sure, but I think it has happened.  One of our more knowledgeable members should be able to shed some light on the subject.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #2 on: May 31, 2007, 06:17:12 PM »
Just because I'm a dork...what did you and your mom play, assuming you got onstage?
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

• Outside in Line
« Reply #3 on: May 31, 2007, 06:23:02 PM »
My mom played the Clock Game and Bob had to stop the clock because she was so nervous.  I played Most Expensive and won a pool table, washer and dryer and ratan dinette set.  I got 95 cents on the wheel and still did not get to go to the showcase :-(

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: May 31, 2007, 06:26:31 PM »
Welcome aboard!  The generation thing would be interesting to see played out.

Also interesting to know Clock Game and Most Expensive are close to your hearts.  John Sly (ClockGameJohn on the site) also played Clock Game, and won.  Maybe you two can exchange stories!
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #5 on: May 31, 2007, 06:36:54 PM »
Valerie, I'm genuinely curious here, so I hope this doesn't sound jerkish:  Your mom must not be remembering this totally correctly, because Bob wasn't hosting the nighttime show in 1973.  Dennis James was.  Are you sure she wasn't onstage with him?

• Outside in Line
« Reply #6 on: May 31, 2007, 06:46:20 PM »
She may not be, the only thing that she remembered was that the day it was aired was the day the LBJ passed away, because they kept interupting earlier programs.  My mom and dad both remember that it was the first couple of years that it was on...I was too young to remember...all I remember is that my mom was wearing white gogo boots a purple mini and had a big blonde boof hairdoo, pretty funny :-)

When did Bob host the night time 1/2 version from what you know??

Thanks

Offline junkaholic95

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #7 on: May 31, 2007, 06:53:54 PM »
Bob hosted the nighttime show from 1977-1980, so maybe she was either on with Dennis James or she was actually on the daytime  show.  You say you were on in 1983, so you'd probably remember if it were from 77-80 so what I said before might be right.

• Outside in Line
« Reply #8 on: May 31, 2007, 06:54:54 PM »
Boy, that would blow my whole angle :-(  Hopefully someone can confirm so that I don't look stupid.

Where in PA do you live?  My mom and dad are from Franklin and Erie.

Thanks Again, this is fun :-)

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: May 31, 2007, 06:59:47 PM »
LBJ passed away 1/22/73.  I'm can try and help...where did your mom and dad live when the show air?  There's some resources I can try and find via old TV Guides, trying to pinpoint if it was a Barker or Dennis James episode.

The location is important because the nighttime show was in a special television situation called "checkerboard syndication".  This basically means that a show was syndicated (bought by one channel in a market to air) only once a week, unlike syndication today, which is 5 day a week strips.  Also, due to a specific system in place called bicycling, not every station aired the same program.

In essence, your mom's episode may have aired 1/22/73 in that area, and possibly months later (or earlier) in my area because of this system.

Dennis James hosted the nighttime show from 1972-1977, to which Bob took over until the run ended in 1980.

(Hope I didn't confuse you too much!)
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline WarioBarker

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Azumanga WHO - my first-ever published work!
    • DeviantART Profile (see what I'm up to!)
« Reply #10 on: May 31, 2007, 07:04:09 PM »
Valerie, what's your mom's last name {both maiden and married}?

The reason why I ask is because if her last name is 'Anderson', then I can almost confirm that she was on the Nighttime show in 1973 - but only if it was on #006-N, late in the first season, or anytime during the second.

Regardless, if you want to find your mom's episode, it might just be here: http://j-shea.com/TPIR/nighttime/index.html

Now, it may not be in visual form - or at all, for that matter - but at least it's a good place to start!

Finally, I have to ask: Does your mom have the episode in question that she appeared on?

Hope this helps!
-Daniel 'RELEASE DENNIS JAMES!' Benfield
Quote from: The_Great_Butler
WarioBarker is exactly right.
This post ©2009 DB Enterprises, Inc. -- But at least it wasn't my fault Drew removed the ability to comment from his blog.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #11 on: May 31, 2007, 07:07:56 PM »
The nighttime show ran for the first eight seasons.  Dennis hosted 1-5, and Bob hosted 6-8.

As for your mom's episode, Wikipedia states that LBJ died at 4:33 PM on January 22, 1973.  If there were news reports on before TPIR, that supports it being the nighttime show.  I wish we could use that date to figure out which episode it was, but we really can't, because the nighttime episodes were run in different orders in different cities.

On the other hand, we may be able to rule out the daytime show.  John, can you see whether or not Clock Game was played on episode #0211D?  That'd be the second quarter of Season 1.

Offline junkaholic95

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #12 on: May 31, 2007, 07:08:21 PM »
I'm in Mount Union, PA just on the Huntingdon/Mifflin County Line along the Juniata River.  So far, you're still not wrong about anything.  These guys can probably find the episode you're looking for.  Based on what's been said, were probably looking at a Dennis James episode.

• Outside in Line
« Reply #13 on: May 31, 2007, 07:09:32 PM »
You know what??  I must be the one messing it up, it must have been a daytime show because it was definately Bob I for some reason thought that only the night time shows were a half hour.

The other thing I kinda left out (it sounds kinda over the top)is that my dad was also on the show and he was on in 78, I know kind of a crazy family...we love TPIR.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Director
« Reply #14 on: May 31, 2007, 07:10:57 PM »
Daniel, the lineup on #006N is Grocery Game, Any Number, Double Prices.  Valerie's mother played Clock Game.

EDIT:  And now I have to ask:  What did your dad play? :)

And heck, since we're already going overboard on this, do you know the airdates of your and his shows?