Author Topic: 2022 College Football season  (Read 10631 times)

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
Re: 2022 College Football season
« Reply #60 on: November 26, 2022, 03:50:37 PM »
Georgia finishes undefeated, knocking off Georgia Tech 37-14 after a shaky start (Stetsen Bennett had only 28 passing yards in the first half). Meanwhile, Michigan  finishes off Ohio State (final 45-23) who will likely be no. 4 in the CFP rankings. South Carolina all but knocks Clemson out of the picture with a 31-30 win.
« Last Edit: November 26, 2022, 03:53:14 PM by Ccook »
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #61 on: November 26, 2022, 11:27:40 PM »
What's interesting now is that Michigan and Ohio State could have a rematch in the National Championship Game. I'm guessing that if Georgia, Michigan, and TCU handle their business next week, it'll be 1. Georgia, 2. Michigan, 3. TCU, and 4. Ohio State. (Sorry, Alabama, 2 losses is 2 losses.) That would mean the possibility of a rematch in the National Championship Game. I don't think it would happen because I think Georgia is repeating, but the possibility is worth noting.)
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #62 on: November 27, 2022, 02:10:26 AM »
The PAC-12 title game (Friday 8 PM ET, Fox) is still undecided on who faces USC. Oregon and Utah both have identical conference records (7-2), but I'd give Oregon the nod since they beat Utah a couple of weeks ago thus giving them the tie breaker.

The others are set:
FRIDAY (all times Eastern)
Conference USA (8 PM, CBS Sports) - North Texas/Texas-San Antonio
SATURDAY
Big 12 (12 Noon, ABC) - Kansas State/TCU
MAC (12 Noon, ESPN2) - Ohio/Toledo
Sun Belt (3:30, ESPN) - Coastal Carolina/Troy
AAC (4 PM, ABC) - Tulane/Central Florida
SEC (4 PM, CBS) - Georgia/LSU
Mountain West (4 PM, Fox) - Fresno State/Boise State
SWAC (4 PM, ESPN2) - Southern/Jackson State
ACC (8 PM, ABC) - Clemson/North Carolina
Big 10 (8 PM, Fox) - Purdue/Michigan
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #63 on: November 27, 2022, 02:56:39 AM »
Wrong as usual I am. Utah faces USC in the PAC-12 game.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #64 on: November 27, 2022, 02:49:30 PM »
Ohio State drops to #5 and Michigan rises to #2 in the newest AP top 25 while TCU and USC move up to 3 and 4 respectively. Alabama rises to #6 while Clemson and LSU drop to #10 and 11 respectively. Where it really counts is Tuesday night, so we'll see what that holds.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #65 on: November 29, 2022, 06:21:35 PM »
IMO, and barring a major collapse from the Top 4, Bama is done.  However, I think Ohio State is as well, but to a lesser extent.  While both polls have Ohio State and Alabama at 5 & 6, as mentioned, it'll come down to the rankings.  I wouldn't be shocked if the Tide is 5th over OSU, who lost big at home against their rival missing their big RB star.  If they are, they'll need only one of the Top 4 to lose in order to get in.  Unless it's Georgia, as I don't think they'd miss the playoff outright despite LSU's fall.  What LSU has done this year is very impressive.

I could be wrong about Ohio State missing out, but I don't see any way they jump USC unless the Trojan lose again to Utah.  Sure the Buckeyes are 11-1, but USC is a decent program.  Similar to LSU, they've exceeded expectations.  12-1 is very nice; like OSU, just one loss, but 12-1 as a conference champion over the defending champs would totally clinch their spot in the playoff
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #66 on: November 29, 2022, 07:13:11 PM »
Top Six: Georgia, Michigan, TCU, USC, Ohio State, Alabama

The reveal went from 6 to 1.  There may have been drama between Michigan and Georgia for the Top 2 spots, but everything held this week

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #67 on: November 29, 2022, 07:34:40 PM »
At this point, I think both Georgia and Michigan are locks now. USC now seems to be a case of win and in and lose and out. TCU is clearly in with a win. TCU could go either way with a loss. Ohio State and to a certain degree Alabama are rooting for TCU and USC to lose and lose big at that. This now is clearly a case where if the top 4 win their conferences, they're getting the 4 playoff berths.
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #68 on: November 30, 2022, 01:32:13 AM »
Here's who is favored for championship weekend:

C-USA--Texas-San Antonio (-8.5, O/U 68.5)
PAC 12--USC (-3, O/U 67)
MAC--Toledo (-2.5, O/U 55)
Big 12--TCU (-2.5, O/U 62)
Sun Belt--Troy (-8.5, O/U 48)
SEC--Georgia (-17.5, O/U 51)
Mountain West--Boise State (-3, O/U 54)
SWAC--Jackson State (-17.5, O/U 50.5)
AAC--Tulane (-3.5, O/U 56.5)
ACC--Clemson (-7.5, O/U 63.5)
Big 10--Michigan (-16.5, O/U 52)

Of course after the coin toss, all bets are off. Should be an interesting weekend. The playoff selection show is Sunday at noon on ESPN.

--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #69 on: November 30, 2022, 11:58:33 PM »
Looks like playoff expansion will be a sure thing about a couple years earlier than planned.  Might have been an issue with the tradition of the Rose Bowl, that may still be an issue

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #70 on: December 02, 2022, 12:32:29 PM »
Here come the times for the Top 6 Conference Title Games.  Each of the 10 games for a title are pretty good, even if they result in not much (like this year's ACC Championship though the Orange Bowl is still worth it).  The Sun Belt, MAC, Mountain West, and CUSA have meaning even if they're not for a playoff spot or a New Year's Six spot; the CUSA game is tonight; 1 of 2 for Friday with everything else scheduled for Saturday

Friday, December 2

Pac-12 Championship
8:00 on FOX
Utah vs USC

Saturday, December 3

Big XII Championship
12:00 on ABC
Kansas State vs TCU

American Championship
4:00 on ABC
Central Florida vs Tulane

Southeastern Conference Championship
4:00 on CBS
Louisiana State University vs University of Georgia

American Coastal Conference Championship
8:00 on ABC
Clemson vs University of North Carolina

BIG Ten Championship Game
8:00 on FOX
Purdue vs Michigan

All times are Eastern.  Looks like 3 for ABC, 2 for FOX and 1 for CBS.  Fox had just the one (B1G) last year with ABC/ESPN airing the Pac-12 in 2021 (same Friday slot)

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #71 on: December 02, 2022, 01:13:27 PM »
I had already posted those along with the other championship games this past Sunday.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #72 on: December 02, 2022, 05:59:50 PM »
Oh I see.  It does have everything; My fault!

I wasn't here last weekend but I still played catch up to read everything that was posted upon my return on Tuesday.  I don't know how completely overlooked the fact that you definitely added all the times & networks.  Having re-read it, I didn't need to repost that info.  Sorry about that.

However, I did recall your post on all of the odds.  Going with USC and the over for the Pac 12 & North Texas and the under for the CUSA CG

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #73 on: December 02, 2022, 11:47:06 PM »
Looks like we'll have to wait until the weekend for a team to clinch the first playoff spot.

Well, this is actual Karma courtesy of Washington in addition to Utah.  Now with guaranteed chaos to start Saturday, no one has clinched a playoff spot yet prior to Gameday.  In clinching a spot, I mean a team in the Top 4 winning its Championship Game.

In addition to an unknown spot, the Heisman might not be a lock anymore

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #74 on: December 03, 2022, 01:45:59 AM »
Oh I see.  It does have everything; My fault!

I wasn't here last weekend but I still played catch up to read everything that was posted upon my return on Tuesday.  I don't know how completely overlooked the fact that you definitely added all the times & networks.  Having re-read it, I didn't need to repost that info.  Sorry about that.

However, I did recall your post on all of the odds.  Going with USC and the over for the Pac 12 & North Texas and the under for the CUSA CG
No harm, no foul. Done the same thing myself a time or two.

USC's loss opens the door for Ohio State, and if there's an upset among Georgia, Michigan and TCU, that presumably puts Alabama back on the radar. Being prohibitive favorites don't mean squat when teams know what's on the line.
--Michel de Montaigne