Author Topic: 2022 College Football season  (Read 10625 times)

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 67 years of The Price Is Right
2022 College Football season
« on: August 27, 2022, 05:14:30 PM »
The Georgia Bulldogs start their National title defense next week against Oregon (3:30 ET, ABC), but meanwhile this week, 10-point underdog Northwestern upsets Nebraska, 31-28. The Huskers committed three turnovers in a contest of unranked teams. Should be a fun year.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: 2022 College Football season
« Reply #1 on: September 11, 2022, 03:32:07 PM »
Nebraska head coach Scott Frost is shown the door after a 1-2 start and losing to Georgia Southern yesterday. Big upset yesterday was Appalachian State over #6 Texas A&M.
"No man is exempt from saying silly things; the mischief is to say them deliberately."
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #2 on: September 24, 2022, 08:17:27 PM »
After trailing 24-14 at the half against the No. 22 Texas Longhorns, a field goal attempt by Texas Tech's Trey Wolff led the Red Raiders to win 37-34 in overtime.

https://www.si.com/college/texas-tech/football/red-raiders-vs-texas-longhorns-recap-analysis-post-game-news-udpate

Also in Boise State, coach Andy Avalos has announced the firing of offensive coordinator Tim Plough a day after their 10-27 loss to UTEP.

https://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/34657389/day-disheartening-loss-utep-boise-state-fires-offensive-coordinator-tim-plough

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: September 25, 2022, 02:15:12 AM »
Wake Forest came very close to upsetting #5 Clemson, only for the Tigers to pull it out in two OTs, 51-45. Meanwhile between the hedges, the #1 Georgia Bulldogs, who had given up 10 points in three games thus far, surrenders 22 to Kent State but still win, 39-22. The line was Georgia giving 45; look for a change in the rankings later today.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: September 25, 2022, 03:55:35 PM »
Well, as usual I am wrong. Georgia maintains their #1 ranking with 55 first place votes. Bama follows (4 first place votes) then Ohio State (4). Oklahoma takes the biggest plunge, from #6 to #18 following their loss last night to Kansas State.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #5 on: September 25, 2022, 05:44:52 PM »
I think the ratings are sorta meaningless.  Well, they are meaningful until November hits.  A lot of it is legacy-based, but more than not, they are fair.  For instance, Pittsburgh was on the way to a Top 10 or Top 15 ranking before losing in OT against Tennessee (only loss for the 2021 ACC Champions).  A home loss, but one where they lost their QB and nearly their backup QB.  The Vols, an SEC team, is undefeated & knocked off a pretty decent team in Florida.  PITT nearly dropped out of the rankings, in fact, they dropped again after a win (courtesy of a decent Texas A&M win who was ranked just below after Week 2, at 24.  No movement for the Panthers after a big win on Saturday.

Meanwhile, Oregon was a Top Ten team, and got booted outright after a road loss to Georgia (yeah I know it was ugly).  That was their only loss; no need to drop them out over the reigning National Champions.  They are back up to 13.

Still a lot of football left, but it is a combination of results, tradition, and legacy
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: October 03, 2022, 12:57:48 PM »

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: October 03, 2022, 03:04:17 PM »
I'll comment on the Wisconsin/Paul Chryst thing in a second.  Right after a post about the latest College Football Rankings:

The 5th AP Poll, released on Sunday, has the Top 5 remaining as Top 5 teams.  This time, and this year (ahead of a possible SEC Title Game clash), Alabama regained the Top Spot over Georgia.

Oklahoma State, sorta obtaining revenge over Baylor, moves up within the Top 10.  Penn State & Ole Miss enter the Top Ten, following the former's struggle against Northwestern and the latter basically swapping places with Kentucky.  USC & Tennessee remain where they are.

A lot of movement within the middle of the rankings (11-20), and the bottom five within the Top 25 feature a third of a dozen teams new to the Rankings (Syracuse, Mississippi, Cincinnati, and LSU).

Reigning conference champs Baylor & Pittsburgh finally fell out along with Florida & Texas A&M.  Not surprising, PITT was the only team that received zero votes among the teams that fell out.  Maybe don't lose to Georgia Tech at home.  The weather wasn't a big excuse as Penn State found a way to win, and they were dealing with tough conditions.  I probably should've stayed away from that game since the sad part of G-Tech firing everybody before the game meant a chance for G-Tech to regroup.  Of course, Nebraska had a chance against Oklahoma but barfed, which is typical given the fact that I picked the Cornhuskers (unlike Georgia Tech), and only after that do the Sooners fall flat on their faces.

For the second consecutive year, Texas A&M falls down below Earth as they "looked ahead" toward Alabama in a primetime game where a win would wreck the Tide toward championship success.  It's a current A&M team against Bama again.  The only difference is that it's in Tuscaloosa, though that's offset by Young's injury.

Pau Chryst was dismissed on Sunday as the Badgers head coach following a 2-3 start.  I think I was surprised, but only for a second.  It must have been tough for Wisconsin & Chryst to part ways.  That's one of their own.  It's more probable than not that the Badgers were going to finish with a winning record, and BTW, that's been the case since Paul was running the program.  FWIW, they weren't going to beat Ohio State this year.  They weren't going to beat Michigan either, or Penn State.  That's in reference to the B1G Title Game.  They're okay, one of the better programs.  Unlike Michigan, TPTB did not stick with their guy to see if they could make it happen.

Doesn't help losing to Illinois & the former coach.  I don't think it was that big of a deal since the teams that blew them out are decent.  I don't know or think they're going to do much better in Wisconsin than Paul Chryst, but when things get stale, change is inevitable

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: October 03, 2022, 04:10:43 PM »
Alabama is giving 24 against Texas A&M Saturday night. Georgia gives 29-1/2 with Auburn. The squabbling the Bulldogs had with each other on the sidelines in the Missouri game is something Kirby Smart needs to address if they expect to defend their national title. Georgia wins, but Auburn covers. Meanwhile, Texas A&M will still feel some lingering pain after Mississippi State waxed them and the 3 spread. Bama wins and rolls with the 24.

As usual, all predictions I make are to be taken with a ton of salt.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: October 09, 2022, 02:59:02 AM »
Shows what I know department: Georgia romps against Auburn while Alabama had to overcome four turnovers to squeak by Texas A&M. Rankings should be interesting.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: October 09, 2022, 08:40:20 AM »
To be fair, the Tide was without Young.  BTW, I sorta wanted to see A&M get pummeled, so it would figure their starting QB gets hurt in advance of it.  Even at well-less than 100%, the turnovers aren't up to 4, but if Bryce can't throw, why take a chance?  They need him for Tennessee.

I knew Georgia was going to win, but I picked Auburn to cover as well (albeit barely).  FWIW, it was a late TD to go over that 29.5 (which had moved down to 27.5) as well as the 49.5 O/U.

Can't wait for the rankings.  I don't know if I'll post them upon its release, but I'll address it when I get a chance (even if it's posted here in advance).  To speculate, I'd be a little surprised if they moved Georgia back to No 1.  They're supposed to win vs Auburn at home.  Alabama as mentioned was without Bryce Young, but had his absence been a definite one, then yeah I could see a second consecutive 1-2 swap following a Crimson Tide survival at home.

Save for Clemson, everyone else won easily in the Top 5, so I see everyone staying put, including Ohio State & Michigan, though the latter did struggle a bit early on, but for fair reason and on the road against a team that hadn't lost at home yet

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: October 09, 2022, 01:53:10 PM »
The top ten remain unchanged, with Alabama, Georgia and Ohio State taking the top three spots. Alabama garnered 35 first place votes to Georgia's 18.
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: October 09, 2022, 04:58:03 PM »
So the Week Six AP Poll was released almost 3 hours ago.  The Top 10 remained intact but not in the same order as before.  Just some minor shuffling amongst the bottom half of the Top 10.  Then moving up, after a Clemson/Michigan swap, the Top 3 got interesting.  Alabama did take a dive (Bama standards) despite a win without its starting QB.  They are the third team now.  In a corresponding move, Georgia and Ohio State both moved up.  The Buckeyes coulda jumped Georgia to take the top spot IMO.

Baylor and Pittsburgh are no where to be found, but Cincinnati moved up several spots to 21.

The above info is still correct, as it's based off of the Coaches Poll.  Either way, the Top 10 remained unchanged

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #13 on: October 10, 2022, 02:09:03 AM »
And I was wrong...again! (I was going off CBS Sports' app and it was obviously not updated yet.)
--Michel de Montaigne

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #14 on: October 15, 2022, 07:53:40 PM »
WOW! What an awesome Third Saturday in October. Tennessee defeats Alabama 52-49 as Hendon Hooker outdueled Bryce Young by throwing 5 touchdown passes. Chase McGrath's knuckleball 40 yard field goal at the buzzer won the game, gave the Vols their 1st win over the Crimson Tide since 2006, and caused a sea of orange humanity to cover the field. That game was totally awesome baby!

Love live The Third Saturday in October! :) What a great game! :)
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.