Author Topic: OBIT: Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II (1926-2022)  (Read 1899 times)

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
OBIT: Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II (1926-2022)
« on: September 08, 2022, 01:38:45 PM »
Queen Elizabeth II, 96, cause not given.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 03:02:04 PM by Roadgeek Adam »

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
Re: OBIT: Her Majesty, Queen Elizabeth II (1926-2022)
« Reply #1 on: September 08, 2022, 01:46:02 PM »
Long live King Charles, or William if he passes the crown to him.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 03:02:20 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #2 on: September 08, 2022, 01:56:57 PM »
What a run.  Sad day for sure...RIP Queen Elizabeth II.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 03:02:30 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #3 on: September 08, 2022, 02:12:56 PM »
In all respect, this deserves its own thread. RIP to such an iconic woman. So many of us never knew a world without her reign.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 03:02:38 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #4 on: September 08, 2022, 03:11:05 PM »
The passing of Her Majesty is a monumental one, not only in British history, but in international history. For most people, no one has ever seen the death of the most powerful monarchy in world history. Elizabeth, who took the throne at 25 when George VI died suddenly, was a force for the country of which she served her life. A woman her served her country's military. She was a force for feminism, for 70 years, the most powerful woman in the civilized society. At the same time, she was the person who you saw the queen and yet, just saw another person. She was never full of herself. She always acted like just another person. People loved her for that. Now that she has passed on, we have no idea what the future will be in the monarchy, for King Charles III has been waiting a very long time. Not very often a 73 year old is the one who takes the throne. From the death of Diana, to Camilla to Meghan, Elizabeth II was the steadying force that held the monarchy together.

Of more interest to this community, we know she was a game show watcher. When Sir Richard Whiteley was knighted, it was made known that she was a watcher of Channel 4's Countdown. Not often someone that high is known as a game show fan like the rest of us.

For the next 12 days we will, as people younger than her coronation from 1952, stuff we have never seen as part of the passing of the reigning monarch. The entire United Kingdom and several commonwealth countries will be shut down entirely for mourning. There's also going to be questions of how many commonwealth countries may choose to leave the monarchy now that her majesty has passed. One of those is Canada. Countries will have to reprint all their money for those who had her majesty on the bills and coins.

May she rest in peace. Thank you for your service to your country and the world.
« Last Edit: September 08, 2022, 03:16:33 PM by Roadgeek Adam »
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #5 on: September 08, 2022, 03:36:53 PM »
Queen Elizabeth literally got paid for being alive.  It's sad that she died just like it is when anyone dies, but beyond that, it's only important if the British people decide they want it to be.  If this foreshadows the end of the monarchy, I think that would be a net positive.

The most tragic thing about her death is that it will overshadow the death of Bernard Shaw, who really doesn't deserve that.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #6 on: September 08, 2022, 03:43:00 PM »
Queen Elizabeth literally got paid for being alive.  It's sad that she died just like it is when anyone dies, but beyond that, it's only important if the British people decide they want it to be.  If this foreshadows the end of the monarchy, I think that would be a net positive.

The most tragic thing about her death is that it will overshadow the death of Bernard Shaw, who really doesn't deserve that.

Unfortunately, it is indeed the case that the great Bernard Shaw's passing will be overshadowed. Unfortunately, this is far from its only occurrence in history. We were discussing it off site, but Groucho Marx died the same day Elvis died in 1977; Farah Fawcett died the same day Michael Jackson did in 2009. It sucks that things like this work that way.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #7 on: September 10, 2022, 05:10:02 PM »
I don't think I would want Canada to give up the monarchy. I suppose it's because I'm a little older, of a different generation than many people here, and it means more to me.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: September 10, 2022, 11:20:27 PM »

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #9 on: September 11, 2022, 10:13:45 PM »
Countries will have to reprint all their money for those who had her majesty on the bills and coins.

Coins and currency with the Queen's portrait will not be demonetized.  They'll continue to be legal tender even as new money with the portrait of Charles III will be introduced.
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
« Reply #10 on: September 12, 2022, 11:52:01 PM »
does anyone know where the documentary abc played The day she died is , my recording disappeared all of a sudden. (my recording was technically labelled press your luck (as that was the original show to be on if she did not die), but something must've happened when I edited it to be 2h after instead of 1h after (I use one hour to also get generation gap, and save dvr space).
« Last Edit: September 12, 2022, 11:54:29 PM by Game Girl »