Author Topic: Season Premiere Pre-emption  (Read 7647 times)

Offline priac

• 10/10/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
Season Premiere Pre-emption
« on: September 12, 2022, 05:18:42 PM »
Assuming Monday’s Season 51 Premiere will be pre-empted due to coverage of Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral?  I can’t imagine the networks not covering this. Wondering if they’ll rerun the season premiere on Tues.  Thoughts ?   

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
Re: Season Premiere Pre-emption
« Reply #1 on: September 12, 2022, 06:16:32 PM »
I suppose it depends on how long the coverage lasts.  It'll be 6 in the morning on the East Coast when it starts, so it's conceivable that it'll be over by the time Price comes on.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #2 on: September 16, 2022, 11:04:45 AM »
I suppose it depends on how long the coverage lasts.  It'll be 6 in the morning on the East Coast when it starts, so it's conceivable that it'll be over by the time Price comes on.

I hope it is--  I don't want it to be an all-day affair (important as the late Queen Elizabeth was); I really do want to see this premiere.

Offline Mark

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #3 on: September 16, 2022, 02:33:27 PM »
According to my local CBS affilate, it's supposed to run from 7-9 AM Eastern

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: September 16, 2022, 02:47:37 PM »
According to my local CBS affilate, it's supposed to run from 7-9 AM Eastern

That's what I wanted to know! Hopefully it's in that time frame on the day of.

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #5 on: September 17, 2022, 12:10:28 AM »
Assuming Monday’s Season 51 Premiere will be pre-empted due to coverage of Queen Elizabeth II’s funeral?  I can’t imagine the networks not covering this. Wondering if they’ll rerun the season premiere on Tues.  Thoughts ?

They have pre-empted the Season 27 premiere on the originally scheduled date back in the late 1990s in favor of a Presidential News Conference or some other CBS News related stuff.  That season premiere ended up airing on Tuesday, and the episode originally intended to air on Tuesday that week was rescheduled for after Christmas, if I remember correctly.  If they pre-empt the Season 51 premiere of TPIR on Monday, chances are they'll air it on Tuesday.

I read on other threads about a season premiere being pre-empted on the East Coast in 1993 (which had the debut of Cover Up) - what was the reason for the pre-emption? Was it a Preisdential news conference or some breaking news?

Offline vnisanian2001

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #6 on: September 17, 2022, 12:29:34 AM »
Not to be nitpicky, but isn't saying something was preempted "in favor" of something else tasteless?
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 12:38:41 AM by vnisanian2001 »

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: September 17, 2022, 02:10:22 AM »
They have pre-empted the Season 27 premiere on the originally scheduled date back in the late 1990s in favor of a Presidential News Conference or some other CBS News related stuff.  That season premiere ended up airing on Tuesday, and the episode originally intended to air on Tuesday that week was rescheduled for after Christmas, if I remember correctly.  If they pre-empt the Season 51 premiere of TPIR on Monday, chances are they'll air it on Tuesday.

I read on other threads about a season premiere being pre-empted on the East Coast in 1993 (which had the debut of Cover Up) - what was the reason for the pre-emption? Was it a Preisdential news conference or some breaking news?

Season 22 was the Oslo Accords signing. Season 27 was Monica Lewinsky coverage.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: September 17, 2022, 06:15:35 AM »
Not to be nitpicky, but isn't saying something was preempted "in favor" of something else tasteless?
Frequently, and it’s also somewhat misstating things. It’s not about favoring anything.

All that being said, so far ABC and NBC are showing coverage as running until noon eastern, vs CBS’s 9 a.m. Quite the variance and while not impossible, it would be unusual for one network to bail three hours ahead of the others.

Offline rj2345

• In the Audience
« Reply #9 on: September 17, 2022, 09:39:47 AM »
Frequently, and it’s also somewhat misstating things. It’s not about favoring anything.

All that being said, so far ABC and NBC are showing coverage as running until noon eastern, vs CBS’s 9 a.m. Quite the variance and while not impossible, it would be unusual for one network to bail three hours ahead of the others.

Not really when you consider the overall daytime TV picture.

NBC/ABC's pre noon lineup is controlled by either their news departments, or local affiliates.  CBS, however, still has a full daytime lineup, and with 2 shows (TPIR and LMAD) scheduled to start a new season that day.

Thus why CBS at the moment scheduling to end coverage at 9 instead of Noon.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #10 on: September 17, 2022, 10:05:21 AM »
Not really when you consider the overall daytime TV picture.

NBC/ABC's pre noon lineup is controlled by either their news departments, or local affiliates.  CBS, however, still has a full daytime lineup, and with 2 shows (TPIR and LMAD) scheduled to start a new season that day.

Thus why CBS at the moment scheduling to end coverage at 9 instead of Noon.

Not everybody has Let's Make A Deal starting at 10:00 Eastern (or the hour preceding TPIR).  It's a great reason, one we share, but that wouldn't stop CBS from making a change.  Many people whose daytime lineup starts at 11:00 would have a decent CBS lineup running from 12:30 to 4:00 or whenever their half hour local news ends

Despite why CBS would forgo extra/bonus coverage, I agree with imhomerjay that it would be unusual for one of the 3 big networks to stop coverage early (even if it would be 2-3 hours of reaction from CBS), but you'd think they'd have announce something by now.  They're not obligated to I don't think, but people would be unhappy if there's an 11th hour change.  To be honest, I'm not sure if I'll be all that upset since it'll be available at a later time.  However, I don't think I'd be a fan if they ran the premiere on the West Coast (in a likely error).  Still, for me, it's wait & see (all the way to Monday).  It is the premiere, but that aside, it's not a big deal.  Especially when you compare it to the celebration of life (for Queen Elizabeth II).

I actually logged on around Midnight to post / with the intent to post the history of season premiere preemptions (specifically 1998-1999) and then didn't since FanOfDrew87 content that showed up pretty much took care of that.  As mentioned, the premiere was pushed back a day, and the scheduled Tuesday show was delayed "then-indefinitely" to air at a later date.  It was a New Year's Eve airing, and a perfect show.  That was 24 years ago, and the final week of the year is no longer a week full of reruns; if there's a delay, I'm image they'd have to air it (possibly a decent show with very good results) the week after Thanksgiving Week.  I figured that Black Friday would've been perfect, but then someone at Discord reminded me that it wouldn't be an option due to college football coverage (in years past they didn't start until around 2 EST, with a Y&R special preceding that).

On the other hand, they could simply push back all 5 shows into 09/26 (next Monday) and go from there.  I think we're clear (and everything will run as scheduled), but I will not be surprised if that's subject to change, where we don't find out until Sunday evening or even early Monday morning
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline FanOfDrew87

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: September 17, 2022, 10:54:52 AM »
Well, there have been many cases in which a show was significantly or partially pre-empted due to CBS News stuff, and the episodes in question were never reran.  It was likely due to nothing big or nothing exciting to warrant a rescheduling.  It makes me wonder if the Season 22 premiere was never aired on the East Coast at a later date due to nothing major being won.

I also remember reading in archived posts that CBS pre-empted a show in February 2011 due to a news conference - and that show didn't see the light of day until much later in August that year.  This was probably due to there being a double overbid in the Showcase, and although five pricing games were won, there were likely no overly great wins (if I remember correctly, there were no cash games) - so that would explain the decision to hold off until late in the summer rerun period that year.

I also expect there could be another pre-emption later this month or early October for coverage of King Charles III's coronation.

NBC and ABC does air news through noon ET either way.  Has been for some years now.  CBS is the only network to not air news through noon ET on a regular basis.  It may still be possible for CBS to air TPIR's season premiere as scheduled, but we may have a better picture as early as Sunday night.
« Last Edit: September 17, 2022, 11:02:14 AM by FanOfDrew87 »

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: September 17, 2022, 11:35:53 AM »
Adding to this:

PBS special report until 12 (11AM is a separate program in the guide)
CNN/MSNBC until 1
NewsNation (the old WGN) until 12

...however CBSN is only until 9 as is the main network.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline GR_Man_9009

• Walking the Golden Road
  • BBT Rules!
    • My Facebook Page
« Reply #13 on: September 17, 2022, 12:10:02 PM »

I also expect there could be another pre-emption later this month or early October for coverage of King Charles III's coronation.
I don't think that going to happen until next year. I don't even think that that's been scheduled yet.
The Big Bang Theory Rules!

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: September 17, 2022, 12:13:02 PM »

I also remember reading in archived posts that CBS pre-empted a show in February 2011 due to a news conference - and that show didn't see the light of day until much later in August that year.  This was probably due to there being a double overbid in the Showcase, and although five pricing games were won, there were likely no overly great wins (if I remember correctly, there were no cash games) - so that would explain the decision to hold off until late in the summer rerun period that year.

If we are thinking of the same show, I believe this was due to it being guest announced by Steve White, and it was moved to August and surrounded by other Steve White episodes, so it wouldn’t be out of place once George Gray was announced as the permanent announcer.

I think we’ll be fine on Monday, but if we’re not, I would think they’d bump the week back a day, and air Friday’s the following Monday, and bump that show to an open gap on the schedule.