Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 9/19/2022 (TPiR Season 51 Premiere)  (Read 5324 times)

Offline Richie

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: TPiR Recap - 9/19/2022 (TPiR Season 51 Premiere)
« Reply #15 on: September 19, 2022, 09:13:41 PM »
I wouldn't say Grand Game was fairly easy.   It was a tossup between the pretzels and the cleaner.   And $5.10 was one of the oddest target prices of this game.   I'm glad Jennifer won it.   I said pretzels too but I was not certain.

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #16 on: September 19, 2022, 09:39:49 PM »
Interesting thing I noticed today... 3 Strikes was played behind the RGC. When I saw it in person in December 2018 it was played behind the blue curtain on wheels (Magic Blue Curtain???). The current set was perfectly visible to the audience before they came back from commercial. I'm glad they're hiding it better from the audience.

Also, great opening episode for the season! They did very well for this one. Much better than the 50th season finale they did a few weeks ago. The games were set up to be won (except for 3 Strikes).

Here's to another amazing season of the greatest game show on TV!
1,719 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline DRPrice

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #17 on: September 19, 2022, 10:26:58 PM »
     The Most Expensive joke ... groan, just groan, Drew...

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #18 on: September 19, 2022, 10:32:21 PM »
     The Most Expensive joke ... groan, just groan, Drew...

:roll: Of course.

I love how you only post to complain about some minuscule element of the show when you could...simply not watch it if it offends you so much.

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #19 on: September 19, 2022, 11:04:46 PM »
Drew is a comedian. You know his juvenile style will absolutely come up with that. He's not Bob...
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Not exactly "Left Field" avatars.
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #20 on: September 19, 2022, 11:17:33 PM »
I had a feeling that we'd start the season with Grand Game, and we did. Nice win!

I noticed the #2 joke from Drew as well. Of course he'd laugh about that...but laughter can be contagious. :P

Too bad in the second half as Squeeze Play felt winnable to me, and Cliff Hangers even more so. I had my doubts about Bargain Game, but fortunately that was won.

Sometimes, I question why I watch with family, as that would lead me to go WAY over on the Mercedes showcase (higher than anyone in CSS today if I played). Then again, I probably would've been over by a few thousand anyway, and I still would've been over by a few hundred on the Volkswagen showcase.

A great premiere, and as usual, I'm looking forward to the rest of the season!
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #21 on: September 19, 2022, 11:54:33 PM »
Man, what a show!  I know we've said in the past that the current staff doesn't seem to know how to do season premieres, but this episode felt like they were making up for all the others.  $51,000 in Grand Game, a Lincoln and a Mercedes, a $45,000 boat...they really pulled out all the stops on this one!

I'm pretty sure they wanted Grand Game to be won.  They clearly also wanted Cliff Hangers to be won, but that didn't exactly work out.

Most Expen$ive for three trips!  ...Or three rooms, actually, but they used the trip staging!  That absolutely made my day.

3 Strikes was easily the biggest disappointment of the day...but with how much the game relies on luck, there's really nothing they could have done about that.

I'm not crazy about the new logo.  It's not awful, but it looks kind of...cartoonish, I guess?  The audience signs look markedly better than the others, though, and are actually pretty slick.

The Big Wheel looks really snazzy...and they finally edited the stock footage surrounding the arrow shot to take out the wall segment with the square pattern that was still visible all last season!

It looks like they changed something on the light strip on the Turntable's doorframe...I'm not exactly sure how to describe it, but its lighting is noticeably different than all the other ones now.

Also, is it just me, or did the lights on the audience pods change color during the prize descriptions for Most Expen$ive?  It looked like they suddenly turned a lighter shade of blue and stayed that way for the rest of the show.

Also, where did the other three contestants go while [Most Expensive] was being played?

I just went back and looked -- they went back to their seats.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline AussieEvil

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Not Hurt By Pain™
« Reply #22 on: September 20, 2022, 12:18:35 AM »
Hmm, something seems a bit off about the borderless logo at the very top of the show. Maybe it'll contrast better against a full audience vs. the current pod setup where the white text kind of blends in with the audience area floor?
"Fans are clingy complaining dipshits who will never ever be grateful for any concession you make. The moment you shut out their shrill, tremulous voices the happier you will be for it."

Offline shell_game

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #23 on: September 20, 2022, 09:25:33 PM »
This premiere had everything I could ask for for the first show. It just had "that" feel from years gone by all the way through. Very well done.

Steve's word of "cartoonish" is the perfect way to describe the new logo. It didn't feel cheap, but just goofy somehow. It's hard to explain.

Using all 3 doors for Most Expensive was awesome. I was really expecting them to do a wide shot with the jib like they do of all 3 doors during triple play. It would have been cool to see. But I assume they didn't do it because the necessary staging of the many items within the doors might have looked odd from the wide angle.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #24 on: September 26, 2022, 02:39:05 PM »
Every single game this episode had something special. Grand for $51K, ME for three rooms, 3X in itself is special, Squeeze for a freaking boat, Cliff for four trips, and Bargain for TWO new cars. Honestly a huge improvement over last season's premiere.

My only gripe is a needlessly evil 3 Strikes price.....zeroes have no place other than as the last digit.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #25 on: September 28, 2022, 07:20:07 AM »
Agree with all the comments that this felt more like the first show of a new season.  On 3 Strikes, I think it's time to just give the contestant the first number and only put the remaining 4 numbers in the bag.  The game would go from "nearly impossible" to "difficult to win."  It would also possibly save some time.   They give the first number on so many car games, why not this one?

Happy 51st y'all.

Offline Wayoshi

• CSS Host
  • The production values Evelyn SHOULD strive for.
    • My Youtube
« Reply #26 on: September 28, 2022, 06:08:23 PM »
Agree with all the comments that this felt more like the first show of a new season.  On 3 Strikes, I think it's time to just give the contestant the first number and only put the remaining 4 numbers in the bag.  The game would go from "nearly impossible" to "difficult to win."  It would also possibly save some time.   They give the first number on so many car games, why not this one?

Happy 51st y'all.

Because the budget would take 2-3x as much of a hit on a win as a regular car win, and they want to control their giant wins to specified (gimmick) weeks.
S5x... the show's stabilized into something decent now, I guess...