Author Topic: Superfan Special taping November 9  (Read 7935 times)

Offline OneBidTris

• FPG Host
  • Hosting FPG for Season 50
Re: Superfan Special taping November 9
« Reply #15 on: November 25, 2022, 02:12:52 PM »
Two things: the priceisright calendar only notes daytime shows, it doesn't note anything about primetime shows in either a taping or airdate sense.

Second, let's not derail the thread guys. This is just about the Superfan show, not about anything else.

Offline Eddie

• Walking the Golden Road
    • #4234K: The very first show I attended
« Reply #16 on: November 25, 2022, 07:07:45 PM »
Two things: the priceisright calendar only notes daytime shows, it doesn't note anything about primetime shows in either a taping or airdate sense.
Not all specials are primetime.  The Thanksgiving show we just had was a daytime special.  So how do we know the Superfan show is set for primetime?
« Last Edit: November 25, 2022, 07:13:20 PM by Eddie »
Shows I Attended:
#4234K, #4235K, #8453K,
#0342L, #0314L, #0315L, #0321L, #0322L,
#0511L, #0513L & #0515L

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #17 on: November 25, 2022, 08:14:13 PM »
It was mentioned in a press release back in September.

Quote from: Paramount Press Express
The stakes are raised this season as THE PRICE IS RIGHT AT NIGHT is set to debut an additional five primetime specials, where contestants such as super fans and grocery store workers will have their pricing skills put to the test. More details to be announced.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline tybuki

• In the Audience
« Reply #18 on: November 26, 2022, 09:24:20 AM »
The fact that Drew caught the virus despite being vaccinated 3-4 times pretty much justifies their decisions.
You can still catch COVID vaccinated or not; the vaccine is there to minimize the affects of it. But you knew that, right?

Offline Eddie

• #4234K: The very first show I attended
« Reply #19 on: November 27, 2022, 03:28:16 AM »
You can still catch COVID vaccinated or not; the vaccine is there to minimize the affects of it. But you knew that, right?
Of course I do.  I reapplied in hopes of getting to see it in person back in September but if I went to LA a few weeks ago only to find it was postponed it would be a major bummer.
« Last Edit: November 27, 2022, 03:37:08 AM by Eddie »
Shows I Attended:
#4234K, #4235K, #8453K,
#0342L, #0314L, #0315L, #0321L, #0322L,
#0511L, #0513L & #0515L

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #20 on: November 27, 2022, 05:29:45 PM »
if I went to LA a few weeks ago only to find it was postponed it would be a major bummer.
One would hope the show would do something to make up for those they had to turn away.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline CROCODlLE

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #21 on: November 30, 2022, 01:47:01 PM »
You know, I've always suspected (this is me speculating, this is not a hard truth or something I have anything other than some anecdotes) that the way the show makes it up to contestants who travel specifically for the show, but the show gets cancelled, is possibly guaranteeing their spot as contestants.

Back in 2010, I talked to a gentleman in line, and he told me he was part of that Price is Right Contestant Search from the early 2010s. You know, they would go from town to town, interview local people, and then pick two people to come to the show from each town (the idea being to continue uncertainty on whether you would be called by having a second potential contestant from that town).

Apparently, Drew was sick the day of his show, which was disappointing since he brought a group of friends with him and everything. So, here he was in line, trying to get on the show the old fashioned way.

He was called down first that taping.

Mind you, that's just a thought. It could have been a situation where if the show was willing to pay your travel to come to LA, then they were certainly going to call you down if your interview was still solid and you came back on your own dime.

For the 30+ audience members who interviewed online, I'm not as sure about, but production has EXPLICITLY said during tapings they do take into consideration people who attend multiple times. Why shouldn't it apply to multiple interviews?

Another caveat: I remember this during my own taping when folks were exiting the studio, but they needed audience for the afternoon show, so I'm not sure if they just needed free audience space to fill and needed something to tempt people with, or there were some people who weren't called during my taping that they wanted to have in the next.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #22 on: January 26, 2023, 07:20:34 AM »
So... some of you may know already, but I was one of the 20 potential contestants cast for the superfan show!

They went above and beyond to find people who really knew how the show worked. The casting process involved asking about over-the-top things we’d done for Price, what Price memorabilia we had, parties we'd hosted, how Price had changed our life, anything that set us apart from the casual fan. I was asked two games I would want to play and what my strategy would be. At every point in the process I was asked and re-asked if I could be in LA on November 9th. I cancelled work, booked my hotel & flights, & made sure my calendar was clear for that tape date.

I flew out November 8 and checked into the Beverly Inn, ready for a big day the next morning. At 11:30 PM at night we got texts and emails from Hannah saying that due to a production issue the taping had been cancelled. We learned a few days later from Drew’s twitter account that he had tested positive for COVID. The taping had to be rescheduled for the 29th.

Because of these unusual circumstances, and since it isn’t really a superfan special if the hand-picked superfans can’t attend, the show did something very cool. For the second taping date, they paid for our flights to LA, arranged with a driver service to take us to and from the airport, put us all in the Short Stories hotel (formerly Farmer’s Daughter), and provided breakfast the morning of the taping. Win or lose, everybody got a free trip to LA because of the rescheduling.

When we checked into the Short Stories we all had a swag bag waiting filled with stuff from the 50th Anniversary Celebration—a bag with a TPIR name tag, a hat, and a T-Shirt.

George opened his warmup with “Look at it this way—you got two vacations for the price of one!” At the end of the taping, George said that we were the loudest audience they’d had since the switch to the pods. 

TPIR Superfan special airs in primetime Wednesday February 1st. You DON’T want to miss this episode.
« Last Edit: January 26, 2023, 07:28:00 AM by gamesurf »
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #23 on: January 26, 2023, 12:40:25 PM »
Congrats on even getting into the audience in a super fan show!! Can't wait to hear about your full experience after it airs! :)

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #24 on: January 26, 2023, 03:53:27 PM »
Everything that gamesurf said times 10. I was also in the audience for this one. DO! NOT! MISS! IT!

Offline EvilChameleon

« Reply #25 on: January 26, 2023, 05:26:50 PM »
With all the gushing people who have attended the taping have done, the hype is immeasurable.

Offline LFAT since diapers

• 11/20/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #26 on: January 26, 2023, 08:36:37 PM »
Can't wait!

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
« Reply #27 on: February 06, 2023, 12:45:28 AM »
I love this episode it did not disappoint. even a grandfather clock reference was there. do I think that would have made it more references (not sure the word but maybe Easter egg is the word) would be if they had the checkbook game (definitely since we have rules about knowing it on here). I was wondering if they were going to put pinko (The game that divides the fan audience here completely) but they seem to know better on that front. been looking forward to it for months and the hype was not overdone.