Author Topic: So I take it TPIR is never going back to pre-covid ways?  (Read 15438 times)

Offline TPIRViewer

• Walking the Golden Road
So I take it TPIR is never going back to pre-covid ways?
« on: September 30, 2022, 10:33:38 AM »
Still with the reduced audience and social distancing between Drew and the contestants for Season 51 so far.

Considering covid is never going away and it's something that we're all going to live with on this planet for good, I'm guessing this is the way Drew and the team want things to be indefinitely. I understand why Drew doesn't want to get close to any of the contestants but I wish they could at least add some more people to the audience. Not asking for full capacity like before but even just another 15 people would go a long way and bringing the energy up.

Offline CJBojangles

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: So I take it TPIR is never going back to pre-covid ways?
« Reply #1 on: September 30, 2022, 11:10:23 AM »
Who said Drew doesn’t want to be close to the contestants? If anything he’s been more lax about physical interactions this season.

Offline mrbrown2195

• 11/6/2013
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #2 on: September 30, 2022, 11:38:05 AM »
This has less to do with Drew and more to do with production unions, if I had to guess, using their power and imposing draconian COVID requirements.
"Ignoring others is imperative to my Golden Road experience." -me
"I measure trunk sizes by the 'dead hooker standard'." -me
I'm a gif.

Offline vnisanian2001

« Reply #3 on: September 30, 2022, 12:30:19 PM »
This has less to do with Drew and more to do with production unions, if I had to guess, using their power and imposing draconian COVID requirements.

They ARE draconian, and they don't work. Studies have suggested that lockdowns only made things worse.

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/health-news-florida/2022-02-02/a-johns-hopkins-study-says-ill-founded-lockdowns-did-little-to-limit-covid-deaths

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #4 on: September 30, 2022, 12:35:01 PM »
Going to ask we keep this focused on Price and not turn this into a lockdown debate, thanks.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline vnisanian2001

« Reply #5 on: September 30, 2022, 12:37:11 PM »
Going to ask we keep this focused on Price and not turn this into a lockdown debate, thanks.

Sorry about that. Understood.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #6 on: September 30, 2022, 01:55:36 PM »
They ARE draconian, and they don't work. Studies have suggested that lockdowns only made things worse.

https://wusfnews.wusf.usf.edu/health-news-florida/2022-02-02/a-johns-hopkins-study-says-ill-founded-lockdowns-did-little-to-limit-covid-deaths

I'm just gonna put this here, because you don't appear to know what you're talking about.

And then I'm gonna LOCK the thread, because I'm not going to waste any more of anyone's time trying to prove that to you.

EDIT:  I've been asked by the OP to reopen the discussion, and I think it's a fair request.  But Vahan, DO NOT barge into this again.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 05:10:35 PM by SteveGavazzi »
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #7 on: September 30, 2022, 05:30:51 PM »
I have no inside info, but I suspect we're not going to see a return to the 290 person "anyone who wants to go can go" audience the show used to have. The reason is that there's no more Stan Blits. On days where they did 3 tapings, he had to do almost NINE HUNDRED (900) 15-ish second interviews and pick the 27 best. He loved doing it, but very very few people have that same love of people and ability to pick good contestants that he had. By having smaller pre-screened audiences, the show has more control over who appears on the show and they can spread the work around instead of having to do it all at once just before the taping begins. I hope I'm wrong about this, as I think it was better with a full audience. But I don't think I am.

Offline wxfrcaster

• In the Audience
« Reply #8 on: September 30, 2022, 07:58:01 PM »
I have no inside info, but I suspect we're not going to see a return to the 290 person "anyone who wants to go can go" audience the show used to have. The reason is that there's no more Stan Blits. On days where they did 3 tapings, he had to do almost NINE HUNDRED (900) 15-ish second interviews and pick the 27 best. He loved doing it, but very very few people have that same love of people and ability to pick good contestants that he had. By having smaller pre-screened audiences, the show has more control over who appears on the show and they can spread the work around instead of having to do it all at once just before the taping begins. I hope I'm wrong about this, as I think it was better with a full audience. But I don't think I am.

I was thinking the same thing...especially with taping three shows a day, it seems FAR easier to have the pre-screened audience than doing interviews. Quicker to load the audience, seat people where you want to seat them.  Just seems like a faster, more efficient system.  Again, I hope we are wrong, but from many different angles, it makes for an easier production.

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #9 on: September 30, 2022, 08:13:49 PM »
As someone currently going through the process, it's easier on the contestants too.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #10 on: September 30, 2022, 08:19:15 PM »
As someone currently going through the process, it's easier on the contestants too.

I would love to hear more about why this is if you're willing and able to share.

Offline C8

« Reply #11 on: September 30, 2022, 11:09:02 PM »
The benefits have been said. Faster, easier screening.

The downsides are worse, though. TPiR always had this appeal of “that could be me” when you watched it. Of course we know the contestants weren’t selected at random, but most people at home didn’t. You used to get a cross-section of society coming on down and they came down as themselves.

By auditioning contestants, they can manipulate more who gets on. That is, the most filtered, yelly, screamy, over the top, attention seeking personalities (and more LA-centric). I have to concede and admit that’s what the TikTok culture wants now and so I’m sure its to the show’s longevity that it be given to them. I find it just a slide to a point where I can no longer see myself, a lifetime LFAT, as a contestant on the show (and I’m only in my mid-30s; not at all old or curmudgeonly!).

Bias: I own that I have a lot of trouble watching the show today because I find the contestants so difficult to relate to (Drew has become a fine host who has left a great mark on the show; he’s not in the discussion here). I have a lot of trouble with the noise; the constant yelling, the needless jumping, the pointless acrobatics, the endless talking. Its all just too much and its overstimulating. Alas.
« Last Edit: September 30, 2022, 11:15:56 PM by C8 »

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #12 on: September 30, 2022, 11:26:25 PM »
I would love to hear more about why this is if you're willing and able to share.
I'm already planning a long writeup, ala "So you're going to a taping of TPiR?" from 2007. Not sure what I can and cannot say as of right now, and since nothing's been finalized yet I won't say anything.

I have a lot of trouble with the noise; the constant yelling, the needless jumping, the pointless acrobatics, the endless talking. Its all just too much and its overstimulating. Alas.
That's what they're casting for now. Over the top, extreme energy. Chug down some Red Bull and snort some cocaine before heading into 33 since that's the only way you'll get picked. Jumping up and down and screaming is a part of the audition process now. If you can't be the craziest person ever, you're not getting on.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #13 on: September 30, 2022, 11:37:48 PM »
I'm already planning a long writeup, ala "So you're going to a taping of TPiR?" from 2007. Not sure what I can and cannot say as of right now, and since nothing's been finalized yet I won't say anything.

Totally understood, and I'm looking forward to your report when you can write it!

Offline Bee17

• Outside in Line
« Reply #14 on: October 01, 2022, 03:42:51 AM »
This is not the first time various behind-the-scenes events affected the show (lawsuits, scandal, the current current events, etc.), and I'm pretty sure it won't be the last.

That setup does seem easier for the staff. Not everyone is going to agree with it, though.

« Last Edit: October 01, 2022, 03:48:32 AM by Bee17 »