Author Topic: So I take it TPIR is never going back to pre-covid ways?  (Read 15476 times)

Offline Vgmastr

• In Contestant's Row
Re: So I take it TPIR is never going back to pre-covid ways?
« Reply #75 on: March 09, 2023, 08:52:33 AM »
I trust your knowledge/interpretation of the situation. My question is, do the same crews not staff Maher's and Corden's respective shows, which play to full capacity in the same space?

Those shows don't have multiple audience members going up on stage and interacting with the host.  One person with COVID getting on stage could mean the show shutting down for days as we saw when Drew got it.

Offline LFAT since diapers

• 11/20/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #76 on: March 12, 2023, 10:11:29 AM »
Those shows don't have multiple audience members going up on stage and interacting with the host.  One person with COVID getting on stage could mean the show shutting down for days as we saw when Drew got it.

Good point, but I'm certain the HVAC in 33 is not set up for mitigation and non-symptomatic people in the first few rows could be just as problematic as someone on stage.

All moot, taping at TVC ends shortly and TPTB will have to make a call for the set-up at Haven.

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #77 on: March 12, 2023, 07:33:41 PM »
Good point, but I'm certain the HVAC in 33 is not set up for mitigation and non-symptomatic people in the first few rows could be just as problematic as someone on stage.

All moot, taping at TVC ends shortly and TPTB will have to make a call for the set-up at Haven.

Possibly, but do any of the other shows have hosts that regularly stand right next to the audience?  That might be the key - if they stay back a bit from the edge of the stage, they are likely far enough away from most, if not all audience members, and only close to actual guests or the occasional person invited on stage (thinking like Tonight Show with sweaters around Christmas for 12 days).

Offline LFAT since diapers

• 11/20/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #78 on: March 14, 2023, 08:29:17 PM »
Possibly, but do any of the other shows have hosts that regularly stand right next to the audience?  That might be the key - if they stay back a bit from the edge of the stage, they are likely far enough away from most, if not all audience members, and only close to actual guests or the occasional person invited on stage (thinking like Tonight Show with sweaters around Christmas for 12 days).

good point.

Offline CROCODlLE

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #79 on: April 28, 2023, 02:05:04 PM »
good point.

I read through this entire thread, and wanted to say thank you to everyone for their perspective. Roger's opinion on the matter is now a few months old, but he did make a good point: If you are a studio, and the unions decide testing is no longer required, you now save yourself the testing expenditure, and have more control as to who comes into the audience in the first place. Why WOULDN'T you keep the audience small in order to avoid having to call in more audience? Even if you don't mind the large audience, they're able to curate the audience more fully beforehand, so why go back to whatever random audience members that come into the studio that day dictate the vibe of the show?

But I've seen other threads where people say they were only needing spare audience during low tourist season pre-pandemic. So maybe they would go to full audience again eventually once they feel comfortable they can fill up the studio without having to resort to extras?

I think back to my own episode, now more than a decade old, but I remember it was an early Monday morning November audience, very tired, but keeping their energy up, and I want to say they did have filler audience that day. All of the first 8 contestants lost their pricing game, and the energy was just at a bare minimum for most groups (who I'm guessing were the "real" audience). I stood out, because I just kept yelling and cheering and screaming help at the previous contestants the entire show. Not to put myself down, but sometimes I wonder if my low energy audience was the reason I got chosen from the pool.

With the change in studios, though, I feel we're right back in the air of truly not knowing what is next. It'll be interesting to see what everything looks like come Season 52.

Offline FPGWillyT

• 12/22/2006
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #80 on: April 29, 2023, 10:45:35 PM »
Hope is a wonderful thing to have, but ponder this:  You had problems filling a studio audience of 300 pre-COVID.  The general television audience is still watching the show.  The “Loyalist” folk are apparently fine with a studio audience of just pre-selected contestants and their guests.

Why go through the expense of re-expansion?

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
« Reply #81 on: April 29, 2023, 11:53:39 PM »
I want to see everything through and have been thinking on this for a few months on and off. and there are some really good points. someone on here awhile ago mention the possibility of not 300 but slightly smaller like 100. that seems to not likely happen currently and it actually would not make much sense to start doing that considering now we know they are planning on moving anyway. it really makes no sense to redo the set when you are going to move in a few months anyway. but when they get to the new set maybe they might be able to make the set to like 100 or 50. I personally do not completely mind the size as I got used to it but I still really do mind the pod set up that just feels clicky. I think it might be best to do it similar to let's make a deal (originally) which has about 30 people (I have not heard a sticker really above 27) which is less than even I was originally suggesting, though shows that you really do not need to have a jumbo audience to give the impression of one. this idea give us a few of people and in a way that is not not just basically about five people in their clicks surrounding them in a manageable way.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #82 on: April 30, 2023, 03:30:44 AM »
that seems to not likely happen currently and it actually would not make much sense to start doing that considering now we know they are planning on moving anyway.

It makes even less sense considering they've already finished taping for the season.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline Sotc2022

• In the Audience
« Reply #83 on: May 22, 2023, 10:22:21 PM »
It makes even less sense considering they've already finished taping for the season.

What's the capacity at Haven?

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #84 on: May 22, 2023, 10:26:27 PM »
We don’t have that info yet. They’re building brand new studios for TPiR and LMaD.
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #85 on: May 22, 2023, 11:58:22 PM »
"Building" is a strong word, considering it's where LMaD has taped for a little while already and where PYL and CFF taped recently. There was no dedicated audience pit made for PYL but we comfortably fit a standard audience. Probably around 300 people.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #86 on: May 23, 2023, 10:56:06 AM »
I’m not too worried about capacity.  There will be an audience.  This is guaranteed.  We know from various accounts that filling seats has, at times, been a problem in the past at the BBS, so a decrease in capacity of some sort at the new studio wouldn’t come as a surprise.  In fact, it might even be a good thing, as we will likely have a ‘normal’ audience again for Season 52 instead of pods if there is less room for seating.  Even if audience capacity were to be reduced by as much as half, that’s still an improvement over pods and a concession I will gladly take at this point.  They can make an audience of 150-200 look and sound as impressive as 300+, no doubt.

It’s all speculation at this point.  I imagine it will be July or August before we see any photos, unless something is leaked before then.  I have faith they won’t go ‘cheap’ with this transition and have a front audience row that literally sits flush with the stage floor — featuring a raised contestants row like some low-budget, over-seas clone of the show, but I am trying to keep an open mind that we’ll probably be getting a different look than we’ve been accustomed to the past 51 seasons.  That’s not necessarily a bad thing as long as they don’t deviate too much from what we’re used to. 

And on that point, don’t forget we have a giant screen in the back of the audience that has to be accounted for, too — and ideally, it needs to be at eye-level with the cameras on stage.  I don’t foresee them ditching it, either — it’s become too much of a staple.  Modifications of the studio of some sort are almost guaranteed to accommodate this show.  And with as much guaranteed money as it brings in to CBS, I bet they’re willing to do pretty much whatever the production team asks to make it work the way it needs to, audience and all.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker