Author Topic: So I take it TPIR is never going back to pre-covid ways?  (Read 15208 times)

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: So I take it TPIR is never going back to pre-covid ways?
« Reply #15 on: October 01, 2022, 04:59:42 AM »
That setup does seem easier for the staff. Not everyone is going to agree with it, though.

I would certainly agree with it-- back in the old days, if Rod or Rich had called me down (or if George had done it pre-COVID), I would have had to squeeze through a bunch of people to get down to where my assigned spot would be when I was called (assigned spot being determined by who got up on stage in the last segment; I would be in the spot that the last contestant vacated). Now, with the pods, I would be able to get up and go down to where my spot would be, and be right there seconds faster than with the old way.

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #16 on: October 02, 2022, 12:57:23 AM »
The deeper we get into Season 51, the more I believe the pods may be here for the remainder of the season.  However, and as I’ve mentioned a few times before on Discord, this isn’t the only show that tapes inside Studio 33.  If CBS still owned Television City, then I might be more inclined to think this change could be permanent.  But as it stands, CBS/Fremantle are merely tenants now with a separate, non-CBS program sharing the studio space.  If the current TV City owners and/or Real Time production staff want the audience seating restored to ‘normal,’ I imagine they could probably get their way without much of a fight — especially once taping for S51 wraps next spring.  I’m sure the other parties are being quite cooperative right now given we’re only now emerging from the pandemic, but will this remain the case next summer as we’re gearing up for S52?  It seems like a big ask to keep this setup going long term unless they’re willing to move the production to a different studio entirely.  Perhaps I’m wrong.

As for the contestant selection process, it would make sense for that to remain virtual.  Any deviation would surprise me given how smoothly it seems to be going.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline Eddie

• Walking the Golden Road
    • #4234K: The very first show I attended
« Reply #17 on: October 02, 2022, 08:56:12 AM »
I auditioned for a taping last August but was never invited to the studio as the planned flight approached.  I was able to go to a comiccon show in Pasadena, but I'm leaning toward trying another audition for the November 7th taping.  I was able to meet George Gary and Devin Goda at a PALEYWKND carnival this weekend and even they don't know when it's going back to full audience yet.
Shows I Attended:
#4234K, #4235K, #8453K,
#0342L, #0314L, #0315L, #0321L, #0322L,
#0511L, #0513L & #0515L

Online jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: October 03, 2022, 12:22:16 AM »
What other shows tape in Studio 33 nowadays? Any other shows use the seats that are/were there?

Offline jimbobiii

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #19 on: October 03, 2022, 07:57:02 PM »
I would love to hear more about why this is if you're willing and able to share.

Having gone through this last year, I figured I can offer a little bit of help here. This could be out of date because it's from Season 50, and casting agencies etc change all the time.

I don't recall the order last year honestly, if a casting agency that does Game Shows contacted me or if I applied on the website first. One led to the other though. I feel like an agency contacted me and direct me to apply but I may be misremembering. As a huge fan of the show, I was excited but I didn't think much would come of it. This was maybe in June 2021.

I got a text from a casting person from the Price is Right asking to set-up a call on July 1st or therabouts. That call led to more information and maybe was when I actually applied on the site. I set up a zoom audition with another producer for about a week later.

Most of the information in this e-mail was about what to wear, how to set up the camera/laptop etc correctly with good lighting, about standing and having lots of energy, dressing business casual.  It also asked to make sure you familiarized yourself with the show, and knew what your favorite game is (and specifically said don't say Plinko).  It strongly asked for recommendations of any friends and family that would be good on the show so they could do their own zoom interview.

The next week I did the zoom call. The producer made me move the camera a bit and turn off some extra lighting to get the right look. He was constantly on the zoom call clapping and swinging his arms trying to get more energy. He made me come on down, and then made me do it again with some coaching. I'm assuming this casting agency was cutting these zoom interviews down and passing them to CBS, dunno.  Seemed like it went well.

A few weeks later I got a text that said they liked my tape but were waiting to hear from the Network (maybe?) but wanted any other friends or family who would be good on the show, esp Police or Firefighters.

4 days later I was texted again, with the show asking if I was fully vaccinated for COVID and also for availability in August/Sept

A week or two later I got a text on Friday, inviting me to tape on Tuesday. I had to bring at least one friend or family member, we both had to be at the studio on Sunday for COVID Testing and upload vaccine cards. Any friends or family you brought were eligible to be called down if they liked them. I accepted even though I knew it'd be tough to find someone that short notice (and childcare for my 4 month old so my wife didn't get to come with) and that evening a producer called with more info on all the specifics and sent a long text with info. The most interesting aspect was that if you were not selected in Show 1, you could change shirts and stay for Show 2 (and presumably 3) with another chance to be called down. I think you all deduced this last season seeing some people in the audience for multiple shows.

From there it was a pretty normal Price is Right taping experience. Arrived outside the gate, got let in. Phones were taken immediately though (not after the interview). IDs and maybe Covid cards were checked again. Paperwork signed and name tags made. IDs ran by producer and photos taken. Down the side of the building and waiting for group interviews with casting producer much like Stan did.

Groups of 3-4 contestants and their guests doing interviews with casting producer and an assistant taking notes much like Stan. Masks off for interview only. Imagine if everyone got a "good" Stan interview. It did seem like more time was paid to the people who applied and were "cast" vs their guests. Hard for me to say though. I made a good joke about my favorite game but right now I was playing "Secret X" with the assistant's sheet and trying to get one next to my name. This seemed like a final check to make sure the people they liked came across great in person one last time.

Moved on to the area with show playing and bathrooms. Loaded into studio and seated in pods. Masks, purses, bags, jackets all hiding behind the pods (besides the phones being taken, no other lockers or items held). None of us had seen the stage, pods or Alexis yet so a lot new considering 50 hadn't premiered (and I think we taped before the premiere week even).

That was pretty much it, I think those who stayed for another taping went back and rejoined the next show's line, did another interview etc, but I was called down in Show 1 so I didn't stay.

Offline Eddie

• #4234K: The very first show I attended
« Reply #20 on: October 04, 2022, 01:19:11 AM »
A few weeks later I got a text that said they liked my tape but were waiting to hear from the Network (maybe?) but wanted any other friends or family who would be good on the show, esp Police or Firefighters.

4 days later I was texted again, with the show asking if I was fully vaccinated for COVID and also for availability in August/Sept

A week or two later I got a text on Friday, inviting me to tape on Tuesday.
I went though the same process last July, but I never got the invite.  Could You remember the Your show's airdate?
Shows I Attended:
#4234K, #4235K, #8453K,
#0342L, #0314L, #0315L, #0321L, #0322L,
#0511L, #0513L & #0515L

Offline ClockGameJohn

• TPiR Alumnus &
  • Executive Producer
John

Offline C8

« Reply #22 on: October 04, 2022, 11:33:18 AM »
Wow. Frank's words couldn't be truer.

And they have to make up for it somehow. Alas. I won't repeat my previous post but I do thank you for sharing that clip.

Offline jimbobiii

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #23 on: October 04, 2022, 01:26:02 PM »
I went though the same process last July, but I never got the invite.  Could You remember the Your show's airdate?

one year ago today. 10/4/21. Filmed 8/10/21.

Offline jimbobiii

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #24 on: October 04, 2022, 02:04:44 PM »
Wow. Frank's words couldn't be truer.

And they have to make up for it somehow. Alas. I won't repeat my previous post but I do thank you for sharing that clip.

I will say that while I knew I had the best possible chance of being on - I didn't know it for sure by any way shape or form. It definitely felt possible that i wouldn't be called down.

Now the surprise of being called down from being 9 of 300 vs 9 of 36 might be different for sure. Knowing you could go to another taping and get another chance might change that for sure. Though I'd wager the smart contestants also knew they either had no shot (Stan blew right past them), or they were in the running (Stan talked to them a bunch). I'd imagine some contestants weren't aware of that at all though.

Certainly didn't change anything for me but I think everyone would love to see a full audience back

Offline PimpinJC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: October 04, 2022, 04:04:34 PM »
Giving less than a week’s notice that you’d be a contestant or even able to appear on the show just seems so impractical.  Just seems like it makes it so much harder for out-of-state contestants to appear.

Honestly, if the show only wants contestants that are hyperactive, then their casting process they have is fine.  But if they want a true sampling of what their viewers are like, they’re missing it completely.  That level of energy from every contestant just screams “fake.”
All Hail Sinfonia!

Offline jimbobiii

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #26 on: October 04, 2022, 05:16:13 PM »
Giving less than a week’s notice that you’d be a contestant or even able to appear on the show just seems so impractical.  Just seems like it makes it so much harder for out-of-state contestants to appear.

Honestly, if the show only wants contestants that are hyperactive, then their casting process they have is fine.  But if they want a true sampling of what their viewers are like, they’re missing it completely.  That level of energy from every contestant just screams “fake.”

there definitely is a desire for out of state contestants who will be traveling to the area. I'm not sure how they do that, but I imagine they try to cast out of towners for dates first and then fill in with locals as needed.

I'd also wager that the show can and does cast further out - the process i described was literally the beginning of the season and beginning of the new pod + friends model. That's the only frame of reference I have for ya though! Though perhaps with locals, casting up close is better?

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #27 on: October 04, 2022, 05:18:38 PM »
there definitely is a desire for out of state contestants who will be traveling to the area. I'm not sure how they do that, but I imagine they try to cast out of towners for dates first and then fill in with locals as needed.

I'd also wager that the show can and does cast further out - the process i described was literally the beginning of the season and beginning of the new pod + friends model. That's the only frame of reference I have for ya though! Though perhaps with locals, casting up close is better?
Out of state-er here. I was told I'd know about two weeks before the taping date. Still not a whole lot of time, but more than the locals.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline CROCODlLE

• TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #28 on: November 04, 2022, 12:58:08 PM »
I read through this thread, with high hopes of coming back once my ban lifted in December 2020. From what I read, it seems like the process is riskier. Should you book plane tickets, and then hope they call you back when you submit the online application? Should you apply first, and only book when they tell you which dates to go (which can be expensive, even at 2 weeks out)?

There's just a lot of holes in the process that doesn't have clarity. Hell, I'd be willing to go to a week's worth of shows even if they didn't call me down, but would I be prohibited from going to shows outside the one assigned to me that week? For me, the trip would be more worthwhile if I got to sit for lots of filming. Changing a shirt is very easy.

I understand screening contestants online is much easier for production, but it creates more hurdles for the contestants. I truly miss just showing up early, getting in, getting interviewed, and just relaxing, and leaving the chance of being called down as a happy surprise. Plus, arriving to future filming if I wanted to. If the the beginnings of closings and shut downs happened March 2020, then I hope March 2023 (or at least the start of Season 52) would leave them feeling comfortable enough to go to full audience.

I will admit, the pods are kind of nice, almost loungey, and they look less pressed-together than shoulder-to-shoulder seating. But it doesn't have that same "plucked from the crowd" feel. Maybe if they added more pods, that would be a fair compromise.

Thanks to everyone who wrote down their experience!

Offline rick420buzz

« Reply #29 on: November 11, 2022, 10:05:06 PM »
If anybody was ever wondering what they do with the audience pods for "Real Time with Bill Maher", they leave them in place and cover them with black cloth. I saw this in a photo taken by Colorado governor Jared Polis, who is one of Bill's guests tonight (11/11/22). It looks like they can actually remove Contestants Row.