Author Topic: Full 1974 Episode of "The Wizard of Odds"  (Read 757 times)

Offline goldroadfanatic

• Double Showcase Winner
  • For a difference of...
Full 1974 Episode of "The Wizard of Odds"
« on: October 13, 2022, 08:59:56 PM »
This was an unexpected surprise, the March 19, 1974 episode of Alex Trebek's first U.S. game show, NBC's The Wizard of Odds turned up on YouTube recently.

What stands out to me is the show has a lot of Let's Make a Deal elements, with general knowledge and statistics thrown in. Also, even though Alex had plenty of hosting experience in Canada before this show, he is such a natural as an emcee, that it's no wonder he went on to have a decades-long career doing this work in the U.S.

This is courtesy of YouTube user JDSk8r.
"Cherish the past, accept the present, and anticipate the future.  They are listening to feedback wherever feasible, but they can't repeat the past."

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
Re: Full 1974 Episode of "The Wizard of Odds"
« Reply #1 on: October 13, 2022, 09:34:23 PM »
seeing this show up made my night, to be honest with you folks

Offline Ccook

• Double Showcase Winner
  • 66 years of The Price Is Right
« Reply #2 on: October 13, 2022, 09:41:32 PM »
On July 4, 1973, Alex was grand marshal of Atlanta's 4th of July parade, staged by and aired on the NBC affiliate at the time, WSB (now an ABC affiliate).
Being famous on Facebook is like being rich in Monopoly. It's not real so calm down.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #3 on: October 13, 2022, 10:42:38 PM »
I enjoyed everything about this episode. The energy level was top-tier, as was Alex's hosting and Charlie's announcing. The trivia was fun to play along with, and the contestants were a sight to behold too. Even the prize cues were super 70s funky! This episode really is the perfect one to have surfaced, with Dana winning every single prize on offer. Really glad it showed up, absolute gem of a find. Judging by the commercials (which I enjoyed just as much as the show itself!), it appears this was recorded straight from the first-run broadcast. Makes me wonder what other needles there are in the haystack, so to speak, just waiting to be unearthed.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Season 15 cash earnings: $151,769
Season 16 cash earnings: $274,708 (+$31,284 scrimmage cash)
Season 17 cash earnings: $350,902
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $225,472
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it" -Abraham Lincoln

Offline Alfonzo

• Director
« Reply #4 on: October 13, 2022, 11:30:23 PM »
The Mother Lode!!!!
"Audience, if you're scared buy a dog!"

Bryan, the Punchboard player who gave up $5,000 for a chance at $10,000 and won

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #5 on: October 14, 2022, 09:04:23 AM »
Just like TPIR, there was that "who knows if you may be called" element regarding who got to play next, a variety of guessing games, along with even the production company's logo having some faint resemblances to G-T's "daisy asterisk". One of the rounds resembles modern LMAD's pop culture trivia deals wit a bailout offer, and its quite hilarious that the first question does involve The Wizard Of Oz. Another great gem down the rabbit hole of presumably lost non-CBS/syndie game shows after witnessing the audio only episode last year. You could even see Alex's future boss as a choice to one of the questions as well. And speaking of which, who knows if there's more Art Fleming Jeopardy! in the offing, as at the time, this followed J! on NBC's daytime schedule, not unlike when TPIR with Bill Cullen preceded ToC with Bob Barker.
« Last Edit: October 14, 2022, 09:07:52 AM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline mechamind

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #6 on: October 15, 2022, 10:22:54 AM »
"Come on down!" for general knowledge, perfect for Alex Trebek. Perfect prizes for Charlie O'Donnell too.

As for this specific airing, this could be one of the best playings they've had...but I guess we'll never know unless we get details about the other airings.

Here's to the next airing that shows up, however long it takes.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, were not making that up that really is the official reason.)
________

It's another Adam who is another recapper for another game show on another site.

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Offline Briguy

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: October 15, 2022, 09:22:37 PM »
"Come on down!" for general knowledge, perfect for Alex Trebek. Perfect prizes for Charlie O'Donnell too.

As for this specific airing, this could be one of the best playings they've had...but I guess we'll never know unless we get details about the other airings.

Here's to the next airing that shows up, however long it takes.

Oh, Im sure there were episodes that were duds or otherwise had lackluster results win/loss-wise. Every game show does.

But for an episode of show that rare in the first place to surface and have a big winner is almost the perfect one to see.

I really enjoyed this episode and the audio-only show, and also hoping maybe a few others come up soon.

Brian