Author Topic: Magic # seems to be retired...  (Read 3914 times)

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In the Audience
Magic # seems to be retired...
« on: October 22, 2022, 07:35:32 AM »
So after 25 episodes into season 51, it is the only pricing game from season 50 (other than the limited edition Back to '72) not to have been played in season 51.

I recall reading on here someone seeing something about Magic # being questionable.  According to priceisright.fandom.com/wiki/Magic_Number, this game has been officially retired.

I imagine the "old" electronics associated with the game, coupled with the fact that it could take a bit longer than most other 2 prize games to play, both factored into deciding to scrap it.

This now leaves 7 two prize quicky pricing games, (or 8 if you count Clock Game as a 2 prizer). 

While I am sad to see Magic # gone after 29 years, I can sort of understand the need to remove it from the rotation, especially given the time constraints now more than ever.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Re: Magic # seems to be retired...
« Reply #1 on: October 22, 2022, 08:52:40 AM »
I'd like to point out that the fandom also housed the infamous Crane Game hoax, so just take any new information posted there with a grain of salt.

Pick a Pair was not seen for nearly two years, from October 1988 to September 1990, and not once during Season 18. When it finally returned, it did so with a new set, the one still used today. And as is commonly known, Card Game followed the same way. It didn't show for over two years, from February 2012 to May 2014, and like Pick a Pair, it came back with a new set. There are other examples of course but two is enough to show the same thing could be happening here.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Season 15 cash earnings: $151,769
Season 16 cash earnings: $274,708 (+$31,284 scrimmage cash)
Season 17 cash earnings: $350,902
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $225,472
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

“Don't believe everything you read on the internet just because there's a picture with a quote next to it" -Abraham Lincoln

Online pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: October 22, 2022, 09:01:04 AM »
So many contestants also didn't really understand how to play the game, even when they started to add prizes such as trips where there would be a $2500-$4000 range between prizes. In the later Barker/early Drew years, the range was no more than about $1200 between prizes. Way too many contestants would simply try to bid on the cheaper prize, even if there was a $5000-$6000 trip offered. Contestants easily could have just used a calculator-based prop where the contestant just keys in the price without using a lever, presses a button on the lines of "enter" to confirm, reveal the prices, and the game's over. Inflation may have also played a part since the lever still increases/decreases the price at the same speed, and Drew even would leave the price at someplace higher than $0 during the final years. I'd still consider the game as "put on a bus", provided that nothing is official, and could return with a new set. Don't forget that Check Game had a similar hiatus from May 2009 to June 2013, longer than Pick-a-Pair and Card Game's hiatuses.
« Last Edit: October 22, 2022, 09:04:00 AM by pannoni1 »
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline JT

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #3 on: October 22, 2022, 09:33:24 AM »
Sorry to see it go if that in fact is what happens.  Too many contestants just tried to be a little higher than the smaller prize not realizing they had a larger spread to work with.   Also, does anyone have the gap between between Barker's Bargain Bar and Bargain Game?

thanks

Offline pricefan1991

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #4 on: October 22, 2022, 09:47:49 AM »
October/November 2008 (it was pushed ahead a week due to the Purple Wheel debacle) - April 2012, so 3 1/2 years.

According to the FAQ, order of longest break between playings:
  • Check Game
  • Bargain Game
  • Card Game (this one isn't listed on the Pricing Games page, but I was able to infer)
  • Pick-a-Pair
  • Bonus Game

Offline tpiradam

• 11/13/18
  • TPiR Alumnus
    • http://adamb.one-dollar.us
« Reply #5 on: October 22, 2022, 12:33:02 PM »
It's a computerized game built in 1992. The mere fact something hasn't gone on the fritz with it sooner is impressive. It's probably being retooled or something. Besides as mentioned above some other Pricing Games have been absent for far longer.

Offline mechamind

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #6 on: October 22, 2022, 05:28:15 PM »
Short and easy wins for four-digit prizes? They can't retire a game like this. I'd wait for a more credible source.

Assuming it does come back, I bet it's going to be played first on its return episode. They probably won't make a big deal about it, however.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

It's another Adam who is another recapper for another game show on another site.

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In the Audience
« Reply #7 on: October 22, 2022, 05:56:18 PM »
Here's hoping you all are correct!

Also I might add in Time is Money's retooling, not sure how long that "hiatus" was for though.

Thanks greatly!

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: October 22, 2022, 08:06:35 PM »
OK, rather than continue dealing in rumors... how likely would we be to get a straight answer if one of us wrote a (polite) e-mail to the show asking point-blank if Magic # is retired or not?

Offline CaptainPrice

• In the Audience
« Reply #9 on: October 22, 2022, 10:57:24 PM »
If Magic # is indeed retired, it's a shame to see it go. I did like the idea of a two-prize game that was at the time of its debut, state of the art. Sadly, time was not kind to it.

Even during Bob's run, there were some contestants who had no idea how to play Magic #. Example: An older contestant from the mid 1990s who thought $110 was a good range to stop between a wooden rocking horse and a scooter, leaving Bob and the audience confused on why he stopped it at a drastically low range.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #10 on: October 23, 2022, 10:28:26 AM »
In terms of writing a letter to TPTB re: Magic Number's Status: I may be missing out on yet another joke or something else, but I'd be surprised if TPTB simply responded with a vague answer (an answer that neither confirms a retired status or plans to bring it back in a year or two).

If Magic # is retired, I'd be saddened as well.  I remember back to 1992-1993 seeing this game.  At the time it was such a treat to see it.  So unique back then, it was the most expensive prop at the time, and felt so futuristic.  That joy likely lasted until early 1996; I still enjoyed it, but not at the level of the game being Top 5 or Top 10. 

It's been a minute since we've seen a game removed from rotation.  While it's been several years, close to a decade since a game was actually retired, I've lived through a period where some pricing games came, and others went.  As mentioned, the defense of its demise, if that is the case, is defensible based on the effort to play it, and really the overall popularity of the game.  While Price fans might love it, when a casual fan talks TPIR, I hardly, if ever, hear Magic # mentioned within conversation.

If the game returns in the future, then that's great.  It might be a step down from the original set; on the other hand, it could be identical or better.  The show has been successful in terms of pricing game upgrades (examples include 3 Strikes, Ten Chances, Bullseye, Grand Game, Temptation, and even Master Key).

As far as Time Is Money, that game was actually retired, and then unretired.  Other games like Card Game, Pick A Pair, Check Game, and even Bargain Game were just simply removed from rotation for a long time
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline mechamind

• Taking a Bonus Spin
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #11 on: October 23, 2022, 11:26:17 AM »
I am still convinced that Magic # is not retired.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

It's another Adam who is another recapper for another game show on another site.

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Hi ho, hi ho!
« Reply #12 on: October 23, 2022, 05:30:43 PM »
A user in the Discord noted that they had spoken with an associate producer of the show rather recently and point blank asked about Magic #. The response they had received had said that Magic # had not shown up on any of the drafting sheets this season, which by tape date would suggest the earliest it could appear would be mid-January. Perhaps that user will ask more if they can, given how this situation has grown.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline bonkers77

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #13 on: October 25, 2022, 02:48:42 AM »
Magic #
It's official? I'm sorry...

Back to '72 will be played for the last time at the end of this year?

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #14 on: October 25, 2022, 09:28:05 AM »
Back to 72 was specific to season 50, not a calendar year