Author Topic: Magic # seems to be retired...  (Read 3905 times)

Timotheus and 2 Guests are viewing this topic.

Offline Punchboard91

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Magic # seems to be retired...
« Reply #15 on: October 25, 2022, 12:37:21 PM »
I could see it returning for the Best of ‘22 show. Drew didn’t give it a farewell like I thought he was going to at the end of Season 50.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: October 25, 2022, 09:08:00 PM »
Are they doing a Best of 22 show? It would feel a bit redundant since the show on September 5 was basically a Best of Season 50 show.

Offline compdude512

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #17 on: October 26, 2022, 12:07:16 AM »
I am still convinced that Magic # is not retired.
So am I, for that matter. A 30-year-old computer runs the game. If the reason we haven't seen Magic # is because it finally decided to break down after 30 years of service, it's very possible whatever part they need to get it up and running again is backordered for an extended period of time. It just took me 13 months to get op-amps for a sound card. Some of the same components are the reason why auto manufacturers have storage yards full of cars that can't be sold and appliance manufacturers are having trouble shipping certain products. Point being: I give TPTB the benefit of the doubt right now because it's a bad time for a computer-controlled game to break down (and it's highly plausible it has).

A user in the Discord noted that they had spoken with an associate producer of the show rather recently and point blank asked about Magic #. The response they had received had said that Magic # had not shown up on any of the drafting sheets this season....

Barker's Bargain Bar and Card Game didn't show up on any drafting sheets for a while, but those are still active games. Right now, Magic # is still listed as an active game on the show's official website. Given the difficulty with getting some components right now, I'm willing to take a wait-and-see approach.
"We, in fact, like it when people criticize what we've done on the show because it means you're thinking about the show." -Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #18 on: October 26, 2022, 10:08:54 AM »
So am I, for that matter. A 30-year-old computer runs the game. If the reason we haven't seen Magic # is because it finally decided to break down after 30 years of service, it's very possible whatever part they need to get it up and running again is backordered for an extended period of time.
I just have to think that this is not the reason.  I mean a computer can be replaced with a new computer very easily.  If Family Feud could replace the computer than ran the dot matrix fast money display during the show's run, Price is Right could certainly just go buy a new computer for Magic #. 

Offline TPIRighteous

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: October 27, 2022, 01:26:28 PM »
It's not hard to see why Magic # could be retired. It runs on severely outdated, cumbersome technology, and contestants just can't seem to wrap their head around the concept. I've long said it's the worst game on the show because it's not fun to watch contestants punt perfectly reasonable setups over and over or just barely make it into a $6,000 range.

It's entirely possible that it's on hiatus and will eventually come back with a new set. I personally think that the game can work with a new input method; contestants seemed to get paranoid about holding the lever and watching the price climb for any longer than they had to.

But unless we get word that the game is or is not retired, we'll never know. Heck, the showrunners might not even know. Maybe it's just been pulled from the rotation so they can figure out what to do with it.

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Go get that Daytime Emmy, Anitra!
« Reply #20 on: October 27, 2022, 03:32:17 PM »
I think if you get rid of the level you may as well get rid of the game. It’s what makes it fun. It would be like taking away the mountain in Cliff Hangers and just telling the contestant “Ok, you have $17 left. Next guess.”

Offline compdude512

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #21 on: October 27, 2022, 03:46:18 PM »
I just have to think that this is not the reason.  I mean a computer can be replaced with a new computer very easily.  If Family Feud could replace the computer than ran the dot matrix fast money display during the show's run, Price is Right could certainly just go buy a new computer for Magic #.
What worldwide semiconductor shortage was going on when they replaced Family Feud's dot-matrix board?

Running a game prop like Magic # (or the Family Feud board, for that matter) isn't as simple as going to Best Buy, dropping $1000 on the counter, and being back up and running tomorrow.  I don't know specifics of the backend that runs Magic #, but I'd have to believe anything used on the stage of a game show is purpose-built and industrial grade. Even if the backend broke down and they were able to secure entirely new equipment, whatever software Magic # operates on is no doubt 16-bit and would have to be rewritten for a 64-bit instruction set. Again, that also takes time. Apple and Microsoft have all the resources in the world, yet it still takes them years to overhaul code—and it's still broken when they release it. That might work for your phone or laptop, but I have my high doubts S&P would allow a software-based game that wasn't code perfect anywhere near a stage after the Michael Larson incident.

I've been as critical of TPTB from the Drew era as much as anyone here, but I'm not going to criticize them for a situation where it's highly plausible a 30-year-old game prop has finally broken down for good and their hands are tied in sourcing replacement parts. Any broken prop that runs on a computer is controlled by a set of circumstances extending far beyond Stage 33 at 7800 Beverly. I know there are some here who find any reason to avoid giving this era of showrunners the benefit of the doubt, but this is a situation where benefit of the doubt is well warranted unless a reliable source says otherwise.

I'd be worrying Magic # was retired if it was 2012 and any piece of silicon you could possibly dream of sourcing was readily available. This is 2022, and that's not the case. Unless it unceremoniously drops off the show's official site, I'm not mourning Magic #'s loss as of yet.
"We, in fact, like it when people criticize what we've done on the show because it means you're thinking about the show." -Jamie Hyneman, Mythbusters.

Offline gamesurf

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #22 on: October 27, 2022, 04:22:59 PM »
It's entirely possible that it's on hiatus and will eventually come back with a new set. I personally think that the game can work with a new input method; contestants seemed to get paranoid about holding the lever and watching the price climb for any longer than they had to.

I think if you get rid of the level you may as well get rid of the game. It’s what makes it fun. It would be like taking away the mountain in Cliff Hangers and just telling the contestant “Ok, you have $17 left. Next guess.”

My suggestion was recycle the idea into a new game where the contestant is told "your goal is to shoot between the two prizes" and let the contestant play with some big crossbow or space laser or cannon prop that can be moved from left to right. Imagine a WWII gunner pilot, or the Millennium Falcon.

Same setup with a monitor between the two prizes displaying a price that changes as the prop is moved. The difference is the prop wouldn't be able to be physically moved beyond a certain point to the left or right; the far left would be $0, and the far right would be $8,000 or something.

So clueless contestants could just aim for the middle of the range and avoid the extreme left or extreme right and be more likely to luck into a win, like Range Game or That's Too Much.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #23 on: October 27, 2022, 05:11:05 PM »
What worldwide semiconductor shortage was going on when they replaced Family Feud's dot-matrix board?

Running a game prop like Magic # (or the Family Feud board, for that matter) isn't as simple as going to Best Buy, dropping $1000 on the counter, and being back up and running tomorrow.  I don't know specifics of the backend that runs Magic #, but I'd have to believe anything used on the stage of a game show is purpose-built and industrial grade. Even if the backend broke down and they were able to secure entirely new equipment, whatever software Magic # operates on is no doubt 16-bit and would have to be rewritten for a 64-bit instruction set. Again, that also takes time. Apple and Microsoft have all the resources in the world, yet it still takes them years to overhaul code—and it's still broken when they release it. That might work for your phone or laptop, but I have my high doubts S&P would allow a software-based game that wasn't code perfect anywhere near a stage after the Michael Larson incident.

I've been as critical of TPTB from the Drew era as much as anyone here, but I'm not going to criticize them for a situation where it's highly plausible a 30-year-old game prop has finally broken down for good and their hands are tied in sourcing replacement parts. Any broken prop that runs on a computer is controlled by a set of circumstances extending far beyond Stage 33 at 7800 Beverly. I know there are some here who find any reason to avoid giving this era of showrunners the benefit of the doubt, but this is a situation where benefit of the doubt is well warranted unless a reliable source says otherwise.

Firstly, I'm not an idiot.  Secondly, the Family Feud board was run by a 32K minicomputer that was replaced with an IBM PC.  Someone, somewhere, wrote a program to make the Family Feud board work.  Someone else wrote a program for the PC.  I doubt anyone thinks it just magically worked when you plugged in the serial port.

Secondly, everyone is speculating, including you.  But any person who has any knowledge of computing could recognize that Magic # has exactly 2 variable rate inputs (how far did the person move the lever and in which direction) and based on that it decides how fast to advance the numbers.  It isn't a program that launches a rocket.

My point being, if the problem with Magic # is that the computer is too old to operate, it isn't a gigantic obstacle to overcome, given that we've been hearing about the Magic # computer for years upon years now.

Online PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: October 27, 2022, 05:57:37 PM »
Still going to take a wait and see approach for now. All we have so far is a dubious wiki edit. I’d rather see something official. Although in the same fashion, we’ve been going on 14 years for Credit Card.

With regards to the Family Feud example, there was a four-year gap between 1995 and 1999. Dot-matrix was unquestionably passé by the time Louie Anderson came onto the scene.

Offline Casey

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #25 on: October 27, 2022, 11:36:51 PM »
Still going to take a wait and see approach for now. All we have so far is a dubious wiki edit. I’d rather see something official. Although in the same fashion, we’ve been going on 14 years for Credit Card.

With regards to the Family Feud example, there was a four-year gap between 1995 and 1999. Dot-matrix was unquestionably passé by the time Louie Anderson came onto the scene.
Regarding Family Feud's dot matrix board - the same board was used for Dawson's and Comb's versions, but on the Comb's version, it operates much faster than it did on Dawson's run.   If you watch the video of Comb's pilot episode, it is slower - the same speed as Dawson's.  By the time it went series, it was much faster. 

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #26 on: October 29, 2022, 08:59:48 AM »
The current rotation is overstuffed with pricing games - you can't introduce 5 new ones over the last 8 seasons without retiring anything. Back To '72 has appeared to have kept its promise to be a one season only game, I believe we need to retire a handful more to restore balance to the lineups and ensure enough focus is available for the games that deserve it.

Unfortunately, Magic # would be a casuality of this decision basically due to mismanagement over the past few seasons. It's barely a game any longer and more a check if the lever is still working. Time to set it aside and move on to evaluate which other games are not pulling their weight.

Unless it unceremoniously drops off the show's official site, I'm not mourning Magic #'s loss as of yet.

While this page was a pretty reliable source the past few years, they did not update it to include that To The Penny is in the rotation so it's at least a year out of date. I'm no longer relying on it.
« Last Edit: October 29, 2022, 09:04:15 AM by Flerbert419 »
"Drew is the greatest at the show that Drew does...how do we make Bob's show Drew's show?"
~ Mike Richards, Cover Story: The Price is Right, aired June 17, 2018

Offline Mallory16

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Icon by Gemma Moody
« Reply #27 on: October 29, 2022, 12:42:15 PM »
If Magic Number is retired, it's not something I'll be losing sleep over. The magic of the game has really dwindled over time. As cool as the floating ring is, that's about all I feel the game has going for it nowadays. What used to be fun and exciting in the 90s really lost most of its, well, magic.

I don't want Magic Number to be retired, mind you, but it really wouldn't bother me much if it was. Credit Card hurt a lot deeper than this one would.

Offline Game Girl

• In the Audience
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
« Reply #28 on: Yesterday at 11:12:48 PM »
Short and easy wins for four-digit prizes? They can't retire a game like this. I'd wait for a more credible source.

Assuming it does come back, I bet it's going to be played first on its return episode. They probably won't make a big deal about it, however.

I remember reading somewhere that it cannot be played first as the computer needs to warm up before playing it can only be played second at earliest.

For some of the lever time-consuming comments. (even though they never look too long to me)
I think a easy solution for that would be to store the computer at a higher number (maybe someone backstage is pulling the lever up) to 1000 to 2000 so we do not have to watch it from 0.

I am not sure if it is cancelled or not but it is a big jumbo box machine, that seems to take over 5 to 10 minutes to turn on. and I think it is that last port that is making it not desirable than even the age or size of the computer.

granted I love the sprinkling sound effects there indicate the 'magic'. but it must be possible to make a program that goes up and down. mabe with buttons.