Author Topic: College Hoops 2022-2023  (Read 4456 times)

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
College Hoops 2022-2023
« on: November 04, 2022, 11:08:42 PM »
For the chance at having Major League Baseball & the NCAA Hoops season occur on the same day, Philadelphia will need to force a Game 7, and then both teams need to be ultra competitive enough to extend a Game Seven into Monday EST.  While that's a long shot, the 2022-2023 season gets underway on Monday, November 7th, 2022.

As is the custom, the big events before the turn of the year are the Championship Classic AND the CBS Sports Classic.

The Championship Classic, slated for Tuesday, November 15th, features (per tradition) Duke, Kansas, Michigan State, and Kentucky.  Those schools combine for 19 National Champions in the modern era of the game (23 overall I believe), and a ton more Final Four appearances.

The CBS Sports Classic, slated for Saturday, December 17th, features (per tradition) Kentucky, Ohio State, North Carolina, and UCLA.  The Buckeyes and Bruins were unable to compete last year but should be good to go this year.

There will be several early season Tournaments that may or may not affect one's participation into the postseason.  Aside from that, most of everyone will play non-conference games prior to the all but exclusive conference games from around the New Year through the end of February into the beginning of March.  While the regular season concludes on Selection Sunday (March 12th, 2023), the week leading up to that date will feature conference tournaments; most will conclude the Saturday before & a couple on that Sunday.  That's mainly the Big conferences; some of the others could wrap up early in the week or even a week plus before.

The Postseason gets started on 03/14 & 03/15 with the first four (on TruTV).  The main part of March Madness gets underway on Thursday, March 16th, 2023.  The first two rounds take place on TBS, CBS, TNT and TruTV from 03/16 - 03/19, and the following week, the Regionals take place from 03/23 - 03/26 on TBS & CBS.

The NCAA Tournament will conclude the following weekend featuring the winners of the games played on March 25th & March 26.  The Final Four starts on April 1st, and it concludes on April 3rd with the National Championship game starring the winners of the 04/01 games.  CBS has exclusive coverage of the tourney's final three games.

A couple big notes from this season.  It's the first season since 1979-1980 without Coach K on the Duke sidelines, and the defending champions in Kansas will get things going without their head coach.  Bill Self has been suspended, part of Kansas self-imposed punishment.  Villanova coach Jay Wright has called it quits as well; I believe he is slated to do some work for Turner & CBS during the postseason, which he has done in the past.

Finally, while several do not watch the game for the announcers, this will be Jim Nantz final season working the Final Four.  Back when, the 38 season CBS Sports vet would become the face of the CBS Sports; however, his basketball duties decreased while he rose in the NFL.  Plus his PGA duties overlap, which helps result in Jim calling one regular season game (Big 10 senior week, used to be the NCAA Hoops season premiere that led into Army/Navy; sometimes both).  He's slated to call the Big 10 semis & championship game before being part of the A-Team for the NCAA Tournament.  Ian Eagle, who has been the biggest fill in (while Nantz was working PGA), is expected to replace him full time.  In hoops (Nantz will still do NFL game and the PGA & the Masters).

I have no idea who'll win this year.  I might just wait and pick someone when I fill out my bracket
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
Re: College Hoops 2022-2023
« Reply #1 on: December 10, 2022, 05:22:32 PM »
For the first time this season, I have just finished watching a college basketball game in its entirety. In said game, the Alabama Crimson Tide handed the Houston Cougars their first loss of the season in a 71-65 Alabama triumph. A key put back with about a minute left gave Alabama the lead for good as the Crimson Tide capped off an impressive 2nd 1/2 comeback. What a fantastic game between 2 top 10 teams. :)
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: December 17, 2022, 02:58:25 PM »
Going with Ohio State and Kentucky for the win for the CBS Sports Classic.  It's the annual special that features the mentioned teams along with North Carolina and UCLA

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2023, 03:11:10 PM »
Following a felony domestic family violence charge from an incident with his fiancée last month, the Texas Longhorns have fired Coach Chris Beard. Assistant coach Rodney Terry will continue to be the acting head coach for the remainder of the Longhorns season.

https://www.espn.com/mens-college-basketball/story/_/id/35386303/texas-fires-men-basketball-coach-chris-beard

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2023, 08:39:09 PM »
March Madness is happening 6 weeks in advance!

To be more specific, College Hoops saw the top 2 teams fall this week.  Three days after No 2 Tennessee fell to former back-to-back national champion Florida, Purdue lost on the road to No 21 Indiana (last school to go undefeated throughout).  As mentioned by a lot of people, mainly the experts, there are no dominant teams in the sport.  Which isn't really accurate; there are, but just not someone that's a clear favorite.  Both the Vols and Boilermakers were facing conference foes, with the latter actually losing to a ranked opponent.  One who could actually do well.  I don't think Indiana will win out but it's possible.

Alabama should be Number one, but I imagine that it'll be Houston (unless they lose to Temple on Sunday).

Meanwhile, in a rare case of a battle off non-ranked teams featuring Duke & North Carolina, Duke wins their first game in the rivalry post Coach K

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #5 on: February 25, 2023, 04:29:22 PM »
YES!!! My Sun Devils pulled off a stunning road upset of 7th ranked Arizona as Devan Cambridge jr. sank a game winning three pointer at the buzzer from about halfcourt nothing but net. Too little too late for a tournament berth, but I'm ecstatic to beat a rival, win on a halfcourt buzzer beater, and pull off such a big upset. My Sun Devils win today was totally awesome baby! :)
Adjustments that should be made to pricing games to make them fairer: Secret X: Add a 3rd SP so that perfect pricing ensures a win. 1/2 Off: Add a 4th set of SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Master Key: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win. Rat Race: Add 2 more SPs so that perfect pricing ensures a win.

The following pricing games should be retired because there's no way or no easy way to make them fair: Spelling Bee, Plinko, Punch a Bunch, Pass the Buck, Let em Roll, 3 Strikes.

The following retired pricing games should be revived: $uper $aver, Give or Keep, Buy or Sell, Hurdles, Bump, Penny Ante, Credit Card, On the Spot, Split Decision, Add em Up, Walk of Fame, Barker's Markers, Magic Number.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #6 on: February 25, 2023, 05:05:14 PM »
Guess who was in attendance for the game of the year between Iowa and Michigan State today?

:thecheeseisnow:

Just imagine that “cheese” is “corn.”

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: March 04, 2023, 06:15:46 PM »
Here are the most recent rankings.  Sorry I'm late with those, as they'll be changing in 2 days.  Though they're not as important in College Hoops as they are in College Football.  Actually they're not even that big of a deal in CFB on an AP level (in the second half), where it's still a rankings but one off of the views of about a dozen people.

It's all about "Bracketology" for College Hoops.  Here are a couple including one from Jerry Palm & Joe Lunardi.  FYI, the former might require a subscription or for a viewer to disable one's Ad Block service.  As for the latter, you'll have to navigate to get a better grasp there  The main stuff are the Top 16, the last byes, the last four in, the first four out, and the second four out.

The first bid in the 2023 Men's NCAA Tournament will be decided tonight.  Well, TBH, people know of several teams that will be dancing in a couple weeks, but none of them are official until one week from today (03.12.23) unless they win their conference tournament in advance.  The two finalists (Tennessee Tech vs. Southeast Missouri State) in the Ohio Valley Conference Tournament will have to win tonight's game if they want to be one of 68 teams vying for the 2023 National Championship

Offline BillyGr

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #8 on: March 05, 2023, 07:30:06 PM »
Speaking of brackets - just a reminding nod to whomever sets up that process for the competition each year... ;)

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #9 on: March 05, 2023, 10:49:13 PM »
Okay, here's a doomsday scenario for bubble teams. This scenario would pretty much wipe out the bubble:

Cal wins the Pac 12.

Minnesota wins the Big 10.

Oklahoma wins the Big 12.

Louisville wins the ACC.

Ole Miss wins the SEC.

That would the kind of Championship Week chaos that would eliminate the bubble.

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: March 06, 2023, 07:20:07 AM »
I don't think any of those scenarios are playing out, but I do think it's very possible that the bubble is taken out ahead of Selection Sunday.  Teams in the middle of those conferences winning would do it, and I'm all here for total chaos next week!

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #11 on: March 11, 2023, 05:21:47 PM »
Hard to believe that March Madness is almost here!  Probably has a lot to do with the fact that we're not even 4 weeks removed from the Super Bowl.

Half of the automatic bids have been claimed, and all but 5 will be claimed before the night is over.  Here are some of the key games:

Big XII Championship
Kansas/Texas
Kansas 1.5
O/U is 141.5

Big East Championship
Xavier/Marquette
Marquette 2.5
O/U 153.5

Atlantic Coast Conference Championship
Duke vs Virginia
Duke 2.5
O/U 123.5

Pacific 12 Championship
Arizona vs UCLA
UCLA 1.5
O/U 147.5

I think I'll go with Duke, UCLA, Kansas & Texas.  Though UCLA & Texas for the win might be a bit tricky.

Purdue & Alabama have advanced to their respective conference tournament final.  Neither need to win it in order to clinch an NCAA Tournament bid, but they both might want to in order to have a case to deny Houston for the overall top seed

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #12 on: March 12, 2023, 11:25:34 AM »
So I went 1-3 in championship games; was only right with Duke.  They are playing some awesome hoops right now.  Probably would've been among the top teams had it not been for their early struggles.

I'll try to do better today, though I did manage to go 8-0 in Saturday's semi final games!

Ivy League Championshiop
Princeton vs Yale
Yale favored by 3.5
Over/Under is 138.5

Southeastern Conference Championship
Texas A&M vs Alabama
Alabama favored by 5.5
Over/Under is 146.5

Atlantic 10 Conference Championship
Dayton vs VCU
VCU favored by 1.5
Over/Under is 124.5

American Athletic Conference Championship
Memphis vs Houston
Houston favored by 5.5
Over/Under is 135.5

Big Ten Championship
Penn State vs Purdue
Purdue favored by 7.5
Over/Under is 134.5

Yale, Alabama, Dayton, Memphis, and Purdue for the win outright.  I like PSU and A&M to cover (I can see the former winning outright though, while the history for the latter is more football-related, I believe).

I think the over hits for every game except the Ivy League & the American

27 schools are officially in.  There are about 20 more that are definitely in, but not official until six hours from now.  Five of the 10 schools mentioned above & playing today will be made official before 6:00 PM Eastern.

Offline moneygamelover

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Expecto Patronum!
« Reply #13 on: March 12, 2023, 12:16:33 PM »
Kansas should still be the overall 1 seed because of their 17 quad 1 wins. Alabama, Houston, and Purdue should be the other 1 seeds.

The team that helped itself the most during Championship Week is Penn State, who has gone from bubble team to sure thing with like 6 quad 1 wins in 17 days, including the last 3 days in a row.

The biggest disappointment is North Carolina, who went from preseason 1 to the NIT.

Speaking of the NIIT, it's not a very relevant tournament, but I'll still follow it this year to see how my Sun Devils do in it.

Happy Selection Sunday Everyone!

Online SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #14 on: March 12, 2023, 07:27:54 PM »
Looks like your team made it, moneygamelover.  Though not necessarily in the Field of 64.  Only 60 teams are guaranteed to start on Thursday/Friday.  The other eight have to do one more thing in Dayton before that.

Alabama is your Top Overall Seed.  Followed by Houston, Kansas, and Purdue (which was pretty much disclosed as soon as they revealed UCLA as a 2 seed)

I can't post a link (right now) to the 2023 Bracket.  Something isn't working properly but I'm sure everyone can find it somewhere, including the link within the NCAA Tournament Bracket Pool thread