Author Topic: "Who is VERY famous in US but unknown abroad?" Bob Barker, perhaps?  (Read 1435 times)

Offline COINBOYNYC

• Double Showcase Winner
Came across a thread in the subreddit r/AskAnAmerican: "Who is VERY famous in US but unknown abroad?"

The first person to answer said Bob Barker, but others disagreed.  Interesting discussion that can be found at https://www.reddit.com/r/AskAnAmerican/comments/z9laro/who_is_very_famous_in_us_but_unknown_abroad/ (but keep in mind that the thread does eventually move away from Bob).
Fun fact: Evelyn Wong, the 5th person to be called on the first show (9/4/72), was actually the very first contestant to directly be called to come on down!  The original first four (Sandy Flornor, Paul Levine, Connie Donnel, Myra Carter) were individually told to stand up, and then, as a group, were invited to come on down.

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: "Who is VERY famous in US but unknown abroad?" Bob Barker, perhaps?
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2022, 01:50:43 PM »
Pretty much any longtime American game show personality is all but unknown outside the US and Canada--Pat Sajak, Vanna White, Bill Cullen, etc. The only exception I can think of right now is Wayne Brady, who appeared on the final season of the UK version of Whose Line Is It Anyway?.

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2022, 05:46:11 PM »
Sorry...I don't think game show personalities are that well-known even in the US, much less in other countries.

I'd probably go with many high-ranking US sports players, the likes of Tom Brady, LeBron James, Wayne Gretzky, Steph Curry, Aaron Judge, those people. Surely Americans and maybe some Canadians (paging Hag, lol) have at least heard the name, but step outside North America and you'd have a hard time getting reactions.
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2022, 01:31:35 PM »
I'd say most country music stars qualify, particularly those who have never crossed over to the pop charts. And "abroad" doesn't include Canada. A few exceptions include Dolly Parton, Garth Brooks, Johnny Cash, and the late Kenny Rogers.

National news anchors are another biggie, given that they're very recognizable regarding the delivery of the news, but since they only focus on presenting the news. That said, since the news media is fracturing in many directions, this applies more to the Tom Brokaw, Bryant Gumbel, Diane Sawyer, and Bill O'Reilly-level celebrities.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline Roadgeek Adam

• I am the modren recapper. Domo arigato.
« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2022, 08:32:54 PM »
Sorry...I don't think game show personalities are that well-known even in the US, much less in other countries.

I'd probably go with many high-ranking US sports players, the likes of Tom Brady, LeBron James, Wayne Gretzky, Steph Curry, Aaron Judge, those people. Surely Americans and maybe some Canadians (paging Hag, lol) have at least heard the name, but step outside North America and you'd have a hard time getting reactions.

The hands Aaron Judge got in England wants a word with this, but I tend to agree.
Season 41–Season 43, Season 46–Present Recap Guide.
Headmaster of Golden-Road.net After Hours on Skype.
Masters of Arts in History, Western Illinois University, 2017.
[No, modren is not a typo.]

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #5 on: December 04, 2022, 05:42:02 PM »
I have indeed heard of them.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."