Author Topic: May 1979 episode (#3312D)  (Read 1390 times)

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
May 1979 episode (#3312D)
« on: December 21, 2022, 09:14:00 PM »

Offline actual_retail_tice

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: May 1979 episode (#3312D)
« Reply #1 on: December 22, 2022, 06:55:40 AM »
The son of the Switcheroo player uploaded an interview with her about the experience here:

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #2 on: December 22, 2022, 10:24:59 AM »
All I can say is what a gracious way to post such a gem from the most elusive season in the show's history. Although most of the 4th One-Bid segment is missing, we're treated to more great games, Showcases, and fabulous prizes. A trip to Mount Everest seems daunting given that so few had (or still have) climbed to its summit, and Kreig's story shows once again not just the pressure of being up on stage, but also provides an inside look at how in those early VCR "first one on the block" days, friends and neighbors could pinch in. Since the video is missing part of the opening, it's not yet known if the zooming animation on the opening titles had been introduced; 3172D still had the "flashing/rapidly zooming" titles, whereas the Season 8 premiere had the zooms. It also appears that the money win graphics had not yet been introduced to the SCSD; by the end of 1979, they were in use.
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/

Offline mellongraig

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #3 on: December 22, 2022, 03:01:15 PM »
Some other observations I noticed in this episode:
  • By this episode, Gina Edwards Nyman has joined the staff and is sitting next to the blue Contestants' Row chairs, making it the earliest known appearance of her as far as full episodes go. This narrows the change down to after February 20, 1979 and likely before May 29, 1979 as to her joining the staff.
  • No mention of El Cheapo by Bob but this is also as far as I know, the earliest known instance of El Cheapo in Money Game and the contestant ended up picking 02 and winning the game. Speaking of, the car prices for both pricing games were only $34 apart from each other.
  • No announcement of Johnny Olson saying what's coming up over most of these CBS stations - which likely was cut off quickly, but Search for Tomorrow, one-half hour from now would have been the announcement by this point.

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #4 on: December 22, 2022, 06:28:40 PM »
It also appears that the money win graphics had not yet been introduced to the SCSD;
For $1,000 wins, no. However, the below footage from another 1979 episode (which predates this episode and further predates the move to 11AM) uses one for a $5,000 win, and it would stand to reason that a "$10,000" one was in use at the time as well.

The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.