Studio 33 - Price is Right Discussion > Price is Right Video Collection

February 20, 1979 (#3172D) - Likely the only S7 ep GSN ever aired

(1/2) > >>

Chelsea:
//www.youtube.com/watch?v=o2ThHhWqIQ0
While GSN's broadcast of TPiR spanned the first twenty years of the show, certain eras were seen more than others. As a byproduct of both the "fur ban" and GSN changing the period they reran before they got there, the network almost entirely avoided the show's 7th season. (seasons 13-14 and 16-19 were also largely unseen except for marathons, specials, and a handful of "we're going to run Price instead" one-offs in 1996.) As far as anyone has record or footage, only one episode from the 7th season was run at any point (I'm sure someone will come shuffling in to correct this if wrong, however), and only once...during WinTV.

WinTV was a play-at-home trivia game which featured a scheduled show in squeezeback (the actual name for a "crunch") in the top 40% of the screen, while program info, trivia questions, and misc trivia and info flashed and appeared on the rest of the screen.  (One such piece of info? This ep taped 1-16-79). Because of the squeezeback, however, almost no one kept WinTV copies of episodes, nor did anyone trading want them - so some of the lesser-seen and most interesting episodes that only ever aired there - disappeared into the rear-view of history.

Was fortunate enough to get a copy of the lone known (at least to me) season 7 TPiR ep, and decided to try my hand at reversing the squeezeback.  It's definitely not perfect, and in a couple of cases required either very tedious frame-by-frame edits or other tweaks.  And the section that was squeeze back has an appreciable quality loss although I've seen tons of episodes posted here that look far worse (no offense). But overall the final product turned out better than it had any right to, and wanted to share with everyone

Chelsea:
Before and after:

And unfortunately, due to the edit time involved, it isn't even remotely feasible to do this to every WinTV episode that folks DID hang onto, sorry.

gsn93:
It helps that it appears to be a first or second generation SP recording. So, you're working with generally a high quality picture in the first place.

I wonder if GSN would have done WINtv in a U shape pillar box format with image from the show just a smidge bigger top-centered in the frame and keeping all their trivia/random factoids to the bottom third if it would have been more tolerable for collectors recording back in the day. Similar to this.

Chelsea:

--- Quote from: gsn93 on January 10, 2023, 03:57:30 PM ---I wonder if GSN would have done WINtv in a U shape pillar box format with image from the show just a smidge bigger top-centered in the frame and keeping all their trivia/random factoids to the bottom third if it would have been more tolerable for collectors recording back in the day. Similar to this.

--- End quote ---

Knowing the online game show fandom then and now, ANY sort of graphical squeezeback would have probably been seen as unpalatable. I STILL remember the disdain for Oxygen and TNN running an ESPN bottomline-style opaque banner at the bottom. 

They DID at least re-do the graphic around the time they changed the rest of the on-air branding, bumpers, IDs etc in 1999. No more rounded corners, and the episode window is definitely a little bigger.

Thatgameshowguy:
Personally, I don't mind the WinTV squeezeback. I've seen a hell of a lot lower quality uploads before. I've been a stickler for the highest quality possible before but at the end of the day, Price is Price. Plus the trivia and extra tidbits about the show were always nice. It was a novel idea but I get why people weren't a fan of it.

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

Go to full version