Author Topic: Jeopardy! General Discussion Thread  (Read 6982 times)

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
Jeopardy! General Discussion Thread
« on: January 11, 2023, 12:37:54 PM »
Felt like starting a new thread by not wanting to bump up the previous one for general Jeopardy! discussion to share the news from Deadline Hollywood that another primetime spinoff series called Jeopardy! Masters has been ordered at ABC with Ken Jennings as host. The series will feature the six currently highest-ranked Jeopardy! contestants who will face off in a Champions League-style event facing off in a Champions League-style event to win the title of Jeopardy! Masters champion.

https://deadline.com/2023/01/jeopardy-masters-elite-quiz-iteration-ordered-at-abc-1235217706/

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
Re: Jeopardy! General Discussion Thread
« Reply #1 on: January 12, 2023, 07:58:41 AM »
If Watson isn't playing I'm not watching. :P
CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline amazzola910

• Outside in Line
  • What a bonehead
« Reply #2 on: January 16, 2023, 02:44:47 PM »
A few updates on Jeopardy! Masters:

- There will be 10 hour-long episodes with 2 half-hour games in each

- All 6 of the competitors will appear in every episode.

- It is currently intended on being a yearly event and if that happens, then the top 3 ranked players will return next year while the bottom 3 spots will be up for grabs, with those players going into the pool for the Jeopardy! Invitational Tournament, an event held in conjunction with Masters. This tournament will feature other past greats such as Julia Collins, Sam Kavanaugh, Colby Burnett, Larissa Kelly, etc. It is unknown whether the Invitational Tournament will be done in Primetime or not, but it will happen if Masters returns for a second go-around.

- Spots 4-6 will be filled by the winner of the next TOC, the winner of the Jeopardy! Invitational Tournament, and a “wild card”

Somewhat unrelated, but Jeopardy! is also considered imposing a 10-year eligibility rule similar to policies currently held by Family Feud and The Price is Right.

Offline EaglesWings4500

• In the Audience
« Reply #3 on: January 20, 2023, 03:21:45 PM »

Somewhat unrelated, but Jeopardy! is also considered imposing a 10-year eligibility rule similar to policies currently held by Family Feud and The Price is Right.

I have not listen to the Jeopardy podcast in a long time.. Was this mention on the podcast?    If this does happen, will this be a good idea or bad idea?

Offline amazzola910

• Outside in Line
  • What a bonehead
« Reply #4 on: January 20, 2023, 04:50:25 PM »
I have not listen to the Jeopardy podcast in a long time.. Was this mention on the podcast?    If this does happen, will this be a good idea or bad idea?

Yes, Michael Davies brought up the idea on the most recent episode.

Personally, I think it’s a great idea because the game of Jeopardy! has changed so much in the last 10, even 5 years. Allowing past contestants to come back really opens up doors for them to shine in ways that they may not have been able to previously. Especially considering Second Chance wasn’t a thing yet, I think it’s only fair.

Online mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A recapper on fire!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2023, 01:21:17 PM »
It seems that Jeopardy! contestants, despite knowing a lot of trivia, are having trouble mapping the contiguous 48 states as of late. :P

Two weeks ago, they had a clue about "MIMAL" (Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, and Louisiana), and yesterday had a clue about which two 6-letter states west of the Mississippi River border each other (Oregon and Nevada). I can understand only one correct response, but these should not have been 0/3.
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Online GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2023, 01:57:36 PM »
It seems that Jeopardy! contestants, despite knowing a lot of trivia, are having trouble mapping the contiguous 48 states as of late. :P

pardon the joke: but perhaps the next rebooted game show should be Where in the World is Carmen Sandiego (or bring back the Geography Bee like Trebek used to host)

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2023, 02:30:51 PM »

Two weeks ago, they had a clue about "MIMAL" (Minnesota, Iowa, Missouri, Arkansas, and Louisiana), and yesterday had a clue about which two 6-letter states west of the Mississippi River border each other (Oregon and Nevada). I can understand only one correct response, but these should not have been 0/3.

In under 30 seconds to get it reasoned out and written? Sure. It’s a tiny sample size of three people, under pressure. My mind first went to Kansas and I had no luck trying to recalibrate. It happens.

Offline PatrickRox80

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2023, 05:37:47 PM »
I got Nevada right away, but I wasn’t sure about it sharing a border with Oregon until Ken said that it does.

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
« Reply #9 on: February 08, 2023, 01:26:18 AM »
Did you see the Jeopardy episode today February 8 2023. they did a few Price is right references. The people at J bored figured out which one since he mentions a Pontiac car '2007-12-04' The player was Greg (Gregory) Snyder found episode here (http://www.golden-road.net/index.php/topic,4832.0.html) in season 36. The uniform and funny sign common makes me think he got confused with let's make a deal. he also said something after final Jeopardy Can not find it on my recording though. (I think the final market is 1230am est so I think this is safe to the only after airs rule.)

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #10 on: February 19, 2023, 01:33:03 AM »
I wrote a lot about the podcast (due you taking taking three months catching up) but I limited it to one summary post in the first post about sports. warning both a very long. Sports ones first I save this one because I am just really questioning how much he actually understands about regulations in general In the work over the years to make sure that all of these things somewhat less chaotic.

I have heard people talk about if they did it live they would have the audience yell about close causes, as when the things they heard on the podcast. it seems like they were talking about maybe discussing it but that might not be the best idea thought of. I do definitely know in Sporting events that this director loves to make talk about so often. they are not even allowed to show on the Jumbotron close causes (this is in terms of baseball rules.) to make sure to keep the peace. another weird thing I really find is that instead of explaining the amount of super champions they went on to make themselves look more suspicious to the average viewer by saying that it harder you to be one now than it was back then. Hopefully he listens to the angel on his shoulder (whoever the female podcast hosts is.) and talking about this again does he actually check, maybe he just never went to a live game in regular seating (as in not in the announcer suite) or maybe he is only familiar with the law of the UK which might be different on that. The a masters tournament league is something would be excited about. One of the few things that I am very disappointed that we have to call some thing a 'sport' have a be considered legitimate (I personally use Olympics definition of the sport, minus the popularity 'must be played internationally' cause the Olympics has). I will be watching them before bed at the speed slightly faster than they are coming out, so I should be through to the latest episode around soon enough.

edited ps not official legal advice
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 01:39:34 AM by Game Girl »

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: February 19, 2023, 01:47:20 AM »
this is number 2

I have a whole multiple paragraphs for just the podcast that I was going to submit one safe catch up completely but one thing I do you wanna point out is in the 'what is celebrity Jeopardy' episode he mentioned a winning the category bonus as a new thing (16min in), but I remember watching the six episodes of the previous iterations (original (possibly prime time) 1970s) that one and the mentioned a prize for being the first want to run a category in a row completely. (I think it was a trip, I watch this during Covid's height) I am not sure if people around in his circle both in person and I
internet saw that as I was not even born then but since he is talking about looking at the original pilot 1 minute before this giving his comments maybe he might look into this one as well as vintage Jeopardy is on the radar. another funny thing with the episode about the debut of season 39. that j archive a fan run source (like are own Price is right archive here) is apparently Better research than the actual shows archive that they have to ask them for a analyzation. (which is something I am proud of as fans.) what I am really wondering is with the road to the champions, Who did the microphone on this it is so lower quality and way pitchier then the rest of the show, it is not even balanced. on the episode I actually skipped to once I saw the name The masters I only listen to 10 minutes before going back to my regular scheduled order but one comment that shook me was a jeopardy universe in which the contestant had the question and Ken does not know what to do. it was hilarious considering that was that was an idea for the show. giving answers and figure out how the question lead to it. 

but just to be clear I am loving this podcast and jeopardy.
« Last Edit: February 19, 2023, 02:00:47 AM by Game Girl »

Online mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A recapper on fire!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #12 on: February 19, 2023, 04:38:53 PM »
So Ken really did take a break halfway through. Disregarding prime time or any other versions, the show tapes 230 episodes per season, and the J! Archive currently has 115 shows for this one. From what it sounds like, Mayim Bialik will be doing the other 115. I didn't think about that until now, even though I regularly keep an eye on the archive. Silly me. :embarassed:

I wait and see how the JBoard is going to react to her return when it airs, and the forum will probably keep its cool. If not...I don't know if you'll be able to call it "J Bored" once they start commenting. ;)
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline therealcu2010

• Director
  • Acknowledge Me!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, A Wheel of Fortune Community
« Reply #13 on: February 19, 2023, 05:41:37 PM »
Ken is actually returning after the High School Reunion Tournament finishes so he'll actually be hosting more than half.

/of course he should be hosting all of the shows, Mayim sucks
"Nobody cares about the guest stars." - Roger Dobkowitz

"Change isn't always good. Sometimes changing things is a terrible mistake." - Bob Barker

People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #14 on: February 19, 2023, 05:48:54 PM »
/of course he should be hosting all of the shows, Mayim sucks

At this point, I’m not sure what the producers/executives see in Mayim Bialik. She’s competent, but Jennings is actually a worthy successor to Trebek.