Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 1/18/2023 (TPiR at Night: Geniuses)  (Read 3393 times)

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
Re: TPiR Recap - 1/18/2023 (TPiR at Night: Geniuses)
« Reply #15 on: January 19, 2023, 09:35:11 PM »
While I understand they have added more editing in the Drew era, I still find it sad that the show has lost the ability to go "live to tape" ever again by recording it out of sequence.
For what it's worth, they could very easily switch back if they desired, but they decided this was easier overall. The at-night specials always had an edit with the big wheels since they needed time to put the wheel away and set up the next IUFB before calling down the next contestant.

It's not noticeable at all in the final product and probably takes less time to shoot since they're only setting up the wheel and dismantling it once instead of twice.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Offline gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #16 on: January 19, 2023, 09:52:54 PM »
Honestly, I'm surprised it wasn't considered sooner. It allows you to set up PG 4 right after PG 3 without having to clear the stage for the Big Wheel in the interim.

If you've been to a taping, pulling out the wheel, taking off the protective coverings, rolling out the mat, checking to make sure it's functioning normally, testing its electronics... and then doing all that in reverse to strike it takes a few minutes.

Doing it once instead of twice only saves, say, 5 minutes of taping time, but multiply that by 190 shows per season, and that's 16 hours of studio time saved.

Like thatgameshowguy said, there's nothing preventing them from switching back if desired. But since they're already editing the show for time anyway, how does it hurt?
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline Eddie

• Walking the Golden Road
    • #4234K: The very first show I attended
« Reply #17 on: January 19, 2023, 11:56:14 PM »
I actually wanted to come to the superfan show and I had for it, but with covid no invite means no show for Me.
Hi Everyone!  My name is Robert and I won the Lincoln Corsair on the show tonight. 
I actually had a chance to drive that car.  Get used to the quirky gear selection.  It might not be as familiar as the other cars we drive.
They actually record both the Showcase Showdowns together at the end.  It makes sense saying it but I always thought they filmed it straight.
The last time I attended they did it in order, this is yet another product of the covid plague.
After the show when we were filling out the forms, David told me he had been pricing Tesla's for fun just a few weeks earlier.  Nothing related to the show.  Sometimes things are just meant to be I guess...
And it pretty much paid off in spades.   

Very feel good win, Robert.  Getting that last number on Cover Up is not easy so that vehicle is very well earned.
Shows I Attended:
#4234K, #4235K, #8453K,
#0342L, #0314L, #0315L, #0321L, #0322L,
#0511L, #0513L & #0515L