Author Topic: Enough with “costumes”  (Read 2361 times)

Offline priac

• 10/10/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
Enough with “costumes”
« on: February 01, 2023, 11:30:57 PM »
Great show tonight in general esp seeing a board member win. But am I the only one who is noticing that contestants are starting to get too “costumed” up?  I get it , it was a Superfan show but it cheapens a great 51yo franchise. Just my opinion of course.   

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: Enough with “costumes”
« Reply #1 on: February 01, 2023, 11:37:44 PM »
I haven't really seen it outside of tonight's episode.

Offline Chelsea

• Executive Producer
« Reply #2 on: February 01, 2023, 11:42:30 PM »
This was a one-off for tonight's show and wasn't a major part, but for the record I agree to a distaste for costumes.

Offline priac

• 10/10/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2023, 11:56:35 PM »
This was a one-off for tonight's show and wasn't a major part, but for the record I agree to a distaste for costumes.

If only it were a one-off.  Xmas season shows with contestants dressed in Santa hats, or reindeer heads, or even strung in lights LOL?  Thanksgiving with turkeys and pilgrims, Halloween with etc…. Apparently gimmicks work I guess?  Contestants dressed outrageously takes the pressure off the producers to create an entertaining product.   They can just rely on a grandma dressed as Mrs Claus.  🤷🏻‍♂️

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2023, 12:03:13 AM »
Drew actually made fun of it on tonight's super fan show when he pulled out a Let's Make a Deal reference with "I'll give you $20 if you have a paper clip" to the contestant wearing the big wheel as a costume :lol:. But while I don't think it's too much right now, I do agree I don't want to see an increase in the number of costumes worn. They're a much better fit for LMaD.

Offline urbanpreppie0004

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2023, 06:26:36 AM »
Its a...culture shift?

Like it or not, I've seen more people wear this type of stuff in public for the holidays, especially in the last two years. I think part of it is people just don't care, but i also think people really, REALLY need a reason to celebrate more outwardly than in previous times. Its not my favorite thing to see, but it really, really isn't hurting anyone or cheapening anything. This is a game show that looks like a carnival, that is based on pricing cans of soup and poorly built catamarans.

Offline imhomerjay

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2023, 01:03:52 PM »
Its a...culture shift?

Like it or not, I've seen more people wear this type of stuff in public for the holidays, especially in the last two years. I think part of it is people just don't care, but i also think people really, REALLY need a reason to celebrate more outwardly than in previous times. Its not my favorite thing to see, but it really, really isn't hurting anyone or cheapening anything. This is a game show that looks like a carnival, that is based on pricing cans of soup and poorly built catamarans.

Absolutely this. Cheating a franchise? Price isn’t exactly Mensa material. It’s perfectly fine not to be, but let’s not pretend it’s something it’s not.

Likewise, people are, thankfully, not as uptight as a general rule. And while I may be well on the way to geezerhood, I welcome that. The over the top dress codes, the ceremonial formality that signified nothing of substance…if that’s relegated to history’s trash can, great. Let people find joy or fulfillment with being who they want to be.

Online Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #7 on: February 02, 2023, 01:45:34 PM »
I have no issue with costumes on special occasions, such as holidays or events like the Superfans show. I don't know if I'd want to see them on a regular basis.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2023, 04:53:45 PM »
I dunno that I would say a Santa hat is a costume.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2023, 06:54:45 PM »
Nobody told us to wear costumes; the booking letter you receive encourages "homemade or custom made T-shirts", but also says that you may be asked to change if you wear anything too out-there.

Dean's thing in particular was he had made costumes of the Big Wheel in his spare time, and the Showcase Podiums and One Bids, and all sorts of other memorabilia. That's part of what made him a superfan.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #10 on: February 03, 2023, 01:06:27 AM »
I was quite annoyed that he claimed to have made that costume as it's widely available online (https://www.rastaimposta.com/cat-18-1-14/the-price-is-right.htm#categoryFiltered).

A couple of the contestants on stage rubbed me the wrong way with their "superfan" story, but I thoroughly enjoyed most of them.
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline RatRace10

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #11 on: February 03, 2023, 10:10:17 AM »
I was quite annoyed that he claimed to have made that costume as it's widely available online (https://www.rastaimposta.com/cat-18-1-14/the-price-is-right.htm#categoryFiltered).

Those costumes are officially licensed and they're STILL calling the Showcase the "Showcase Showdown"? How is this such a problem that this is even affecting official merchandise?  :roll:

Online tpirfansince1972

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #12 on: February 04, 2023, 04:09:48 AM »
Sadly I seldom if ever get to see the show anymore.

As for the costume thing, you know, after a three year long pandemic situation, people just want to have fun again.  To me it's just silly harmless good clean fun.  We need that more.

Online htmlcc92

• Double Showcase Winner
  • "Mrs. Peacock was a man?!"
« Reply #13 on: February 04, 2023, 01:38:28 PM »
Sadly I seldom if ever get to see the show anymore.

As for the costume thing, you know, after a three year long pandemic situation, people just want to have fun again.  To me it's just silly harmless good clean fun.  We need that more.

That’s how I feel about Christmas music and decorations. I would love to keep decorations up and listen to Christmas music year round if people around me didn’t see it as an exclusive December-only thing (or in the case of my friend, he only doesn’t mind hearing music only on Christmas Day itself). It doesn’t harm anyone, nor do the costumes on the show (unless it’s big enough to swing into someone and knock them over of course!) Just people having fun!
There is a fifth dimension beyond that which is known to man. It is a dimension as vast as space and as timeless as infinity. It is the middle ground between light and shadow, between science and superstition, and it lies between the pit of man's fears and the summit of his knowledge. This is the dimension of imagination. It is an area which we call the Twilight Zone.

Offline Game Girl

• In Contestant's Row
  • game girl was a nickname for game boy as a kid.
« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2023, 01:22:54 AM »
technically the costume is slightly different (The costume in the picture has half a wheel and The one he had was completely round) (I think based from the anniversary episode). On another end I love costumes in general but for people who do not like costumes I can see why people are scared this is how let's make a deal became a costume show in the first place. I am not sure where I stand on this but I am interesting in seeing how this is going.