Author Topic: GSM: PRESS YOUR LUCK!!!!  (Read 22270 times)

Offline mikewpu04

• Outside in Line
Re: GSM: PRESS YOUR LUCK!!!!
« Reply #30 on: June 09, 2006, 07:23:28 AM »
I agree with most of what was said. PYL is a great show that obviously holds up well in 2006.

I'm 22 and work in TV (not in game shows I wish). I talk to people and try to see what shows create buzz esp. with my age group being in that coveted 18-49 demo. A lot of buzz was generated by PYL more then any other show. I think they should have aired PYL first, because it is the most missed. My genereation seems to have start liking it due to GSN and or USA. PYL in my area tends to be apointment TV sometimes on GSN. A lot of people here who watch it seem to go straight for PYL.

I think PYL in its original form would work again. Whammy is a decent show, but terribly modern versions of shows (and thus oversimplified versions) DO NOT work. I wish game show producers would figure it out. Look at Deal or no Deal! That is a no frills show. Simple. So was PYL. Answer questions for chances to randomly stop a board for money. Simple. Whammy is more like, first stop the board one at a time, then answer questions, then spin it again with a diffrent set of rules. Oversimplified. And, the board was too vast of a departure on whammy. Even though the GSM board wasnt an exact replica, it convayed the idea and was fun to see.

I personally was very happy with what I saw. Ricki did a GREAT job with this one. The celebs kinda hurt the production again, but thats a celebrity thing. I personally dislike celebrities playing game shows UNLESS the show is a megahit or super established (like Feud and Millionaire are). Bringing back defunct game shows should be with regular people!

But still, it was exciting at the end even given two celebs! I was so impressed. The whammies were amazing, and so were the SFX and the Flokati rug! Great job CBS!!!

Offline OrchestraRicki

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #31 on: June 09, 2006, 08:54:55 AM »
Eh, what’s up, Doc?  This is Hector.  How are things going with you?
I just watched and recorded “Press Your Luck” on Game$how Marathon last night.  I thought that was very groovy.  It has some classic clips, including the Michael Larson episode.  In fact, I have recorded the entire documentary entitled: “Big Bucks: The Press Your Luck Scandal” on Game Show Network several months ago.
The staff at Game$how Marathon managed to get the PYL set made as close as possible to the authentic one back in the mid-1980s.  The big board is just like Peter Tomarken’s version – cash, prizes, and classic Whammies.  But I am beginning to wonder what had happened to the original props from 1983-1986.
Ricki Lake became overly excited about hosting the show.  It is highly possible that she grew up watching PYL when she was a teenager.  She had a style of hosting like Peter, but also, on occasion, she had her own style.  And, oh, my goodness!  I confess that I am very attracted to Ricki's black dress and pumps, which really compliment her legs!  I love that outfit!  Sorry about that! :lol:
Ricki’s 4th question of the 1st round to Leslie Nielsen, Kathy Najimy and Tim Meadows caught me in interest: According to TV Guide, who is the greatest cartoon character of all time?  I immediately responded, “Bugs Bunny” just before Leslie answered Mickey Mouse.  Tim also answered “Mickey”, but Kathy responded my answer.  Several minutes after that question was asked, I asked the same question to my beloved wife Betsy.  She replied, “Fred Flintstone.”  I was surprised to find out that Kathy and I came up with the correct answer: Bugs Bunny!  I missed watching Looney Tunes on television.
I also have the same thought as “br”: With the final few spins remaining, it was a close competition between Kathy and Tim, and it was almost similar to an episode in which two women are gathering up thousands of dollars in cash and prizes, and bonus spins were passed, back to back!
Even though this certain Whammy clip was not shown on G$M, one of my favorite clips was the 4 Whammies imitating the Four Tops, if I am not mistaken.  The classic clips are more hilarious and enjoyable to watch than the Whammies on “Whammy!”
After watching the entire G$M episode of PYL, on a scale from 0 to 10, I would give it a 9.6.  Great job, Ricki!  But it was bitter sweet after learning about the loss of the great host, Mr. PYL himself, Peter Tomarken.  We also miss Rod Roddy.
I understand that this is highly impossible, but I have a similar thought like a few of you members in this forum: If PYL were to return to television, whether on CBS, Game Show Network, or syndicated, I would like the set to return to the original 1980s form.  I would love to see Ricki Lake host the show, but I understand that some of you would prefer Todd Newton (remember, we lost Peter this past February), and yet I do not know what other host the others prefer.  Who knows?
Well, now it’s time to say goodbye to all of our company.  M-I-C-K-E-Y M-O-U-S-E!

Hector Manuel Torres Jr.  :-)

Offline BRB_TheFireball

• Double Showcase Winner
  • A Man Without A Forum
    • The Fireball on Golden-Road.net
« Reply #32 on: June 09, 2006, 10:07:48 AM »
It's "Press Your Luck"--now with steroids!  :-P  :-D

I'm with the majority of the forum:  This was the best show of the GSM series so far.  Not perfect, but I liked it a lot.

The choice of PYL clips for the opening montage was average at best.  Hell, even I know that PYL debuted in 1983, not 1981!  The only real positive on that was CBS acknowledging Michael Larson.

I also got a slight problem with the opening camera shots of each individual player (a la the PYL pilot) and the contestant island not spinning around as Ricki walked onto the stage.

The contestant island itself was a faithful recreation.  The problem is it spins in the wrong direction!

The Big Board was... meh.  They could've done a better job with the slide shuffling.

But the slides themselves... WHOA!  I expected one of the old PYL board configurations... but then the Round 1 board lit up--$3/4/5,000 + One Spin!  And $10,000 + One Spin in Round 2!  It ain't PYL without the infamous flokati rug, and there it was as well.  The flokati rug curse is still alive and well after 22+ years, though--Kathy hit a Whammy soon after hitting it.  Gotta love that $9,000 Alaska cruise, $4,500 dinette, and $5,700 in Whirlpool appliances, too.  They blow those "Whammy!" prizes out of the water every day and twice on Sunday.

Seeing a $530 space instead of a $525 space was weird.  And as for some of those other crazy-azz spaces ($1,750 + One Spin, $1,550, $3,500, $5,000 without a spin, $8,000 + One Spin) I think the producers have been watching too many old episodes of Steve Childress' PYL.  :roll:

Ricki did a pretty good job hosting PYL.  I even liked how she did the Tomarkenesque reading of Kathy's score as "25 thousand, 7-4-oh".

As for the celebs... let's just say that Paige Davis should've been playing.  Leslie and Tim... well, they've been out of it the entire series, but at least at PYL, they kinda sorta made an effort to show that they really were having some fun.  And Kathy should not have taken the Valiums before the game.  She won over $46,000 for her charity and a lucky home viewer and she was laconic and disinterested about it.  Even the non-acting "Baywatch" eye candy displayed real excitement when she won TPIR!  (Hell, Lance Bass showed more excitement just sitting in finalists row...  :roll:  :roll:  :roll: )

Thank you, CBS, for memorializing Peter Tomarken at the end of the show.

We all have our nitpicks.  I made mine.  But a great show nonetheless.
Well, this week was supposed to be a return to normalcy, but that's clearly not allowed.  Since you feel there is no need for this week's FPG to continue, I feel there is no need to continue as an FPG host or a G-R.net member.  Since most people are so desperate to push me out of here, why delay it?  I would have preferred that everybody publicly admitted it rather than string me along for the last two days, but it is what it is.  I am hereby resigning as FPG host and moderator, effective immediately.  whammy007 is the new permanent host.  No R-rated rant or airing of grievances from me.  Just a polite "goodbye for good".

--Fireball to Chelsea, 1/15/16

Offline Superballer

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: June 09, 2006, 12:17:30 PM »
Definitely the best one so far; if this becomes regular, they should make PYL a standard feature.  As with others, I found a great recreation of the set was used and I was especially pleased that they would run the classic music after each round (although I'd wished they'd extended it all the way through to the commercial breaks instead of cutting to the generic theme at the ends).  Good battle at the end, even though Najimy clearly had no clue how to play (too bad Chris Farley is in fact 6 feet under; he might have made an interesting contestant had he made it to now).  It was a bizarre board with the computer backings, but it worked well enough.  At least this show ran all the way through to the allotted end time.  I'm ready for the semis.

Offline PriceFanArmadillo

• -This space for rent-
« Reply #34 on: June 09, 2006, 12:50:02 PM »

mikewpu04 wrote:
 I think they should have aired PYL first, because it is the most missed. My genereation seems to have start liking it due to GSN and or USA. PYL in my area tends to be apointment TV sometimes on GSN. A lot of people here who watch it seem to go straight for PYL.

Only one problem...they really didn't have a choice how to order the shows, except for Card Sharks/Match Game.  The first four shows generally had to be player in (descending) order of the number of contestants.  Hence, starting the first round with the six-contestant version of Price and ending it with the three-contestant PYL.

mikewpu04 wrote:
Simple. So was PYL. Answer questions for chances to randomly stop a board for money. Simple. Whammy is more like, first stop the board one at a time, then answer questions, then spin it again with a diffrent set of rules. Oversimplified.

Oversimplified?  The way you just described Whammy makes it sound LESS simple than PYL.  

I have to agree...except for one thing, this show was incredible and proof that PYL should get another chance.  Unfortunately, that one thing was the horrible job they did editing the 'slides' on the Big Board.  I could get past the font if EVERY SINGLE CASH AMOUNT wasn't copy-pasted and stretched into a different size!  Seriously, give me 20 minutes and MSPaint and I could make it look better!  Oh well, like I said, the show was still great.

BRB_TheFireball wrote:

Seeing a $530 space instead of a $525 space was weird.

Seeing Kathy hit the $470 immediately after it and going to an even $1,000 was even weirder.
Armadillo is exactly right - ClockGameJohn
---------------------------------------
The Here Moderates This Here Site Here Guy

Offline Joe_Mello

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #35 on: June 09, 2006, 12:57:09 PM »
Getting a fade effect isn't impossible--BigJon's PYL game has it--but it takes time, something the staff may not have had.

And why was it still $2,000/Lose 1 Whammy?  The value of that square deflated so much.

Offline Nick

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #36 on: June 09, 2006, 01:32:48 PM »
Dang, after Wednesday's fantastic rendition of Beat the Clock, I was really hoping for more in this, but the only place this episode really lacked was just in technical areas.

First off, this was definetly the best and most accurate recreation so far.  The contestant island was spot on, and the whole set had a very good feel of the original.  The Whammy cards in front of the contestants were so well done they looked like the originals.

Unfortunately, the big board was really lacking.  They got the layout and the overall design correct, but the slides were atrocious.  Too many of them were off-centered, and they couldn't seem to keep a consistent font size.  Is is that hard to make the slides of PYL look authentic on computer?

Another major thing that bugged me was the arrangement of the slides on the board.  They pretty much seemed to slap prizes and cash on the board randomly, only making sure they got squares four and eight correctly, and making sure all the dirctional squares and Whammys were placed appropriately.  There was no need for so many additional spins in round one.  I can live with the inflated cash values.  That was something Whammy really needed anyway, and a lot of the prizes were more expensive than any of the original cash spaces.  Still, they had enough clips in there from 1984.  Why couldn't they have taken the layout of the board on one of those episodes and adapted it properly?

Another minor picky fit:  I don't know how they screwed up 1983 with 1981, but it was something they should have made sure they had right.  The clip montage itself was great, with even some Larson ones thrown in there (Finally!  Somebody made a montage of him saying "stop" time and time again!), but it would have been nice to have a clip or two or Second Chance.

Now, as for Ricki and others, Ricki's hosting was off from Wednesday.  She was a bit too stale, especially when giving the answers to the questions (There's another thing.  Why didn't any of the questions have fractional answers?  PYL had tons of those).  The celebrities...Leslie looked like he clearly had no idea what he was doing.  Tim was somewhat fun, but annoying at other points.  Kathy...she took a lot of spins.  Wish she had said stop after all of those, but she was overall pretty good.

And the ending just bugged me terribly.  Why not have the players stay on the contestant island long enough for Rich to read off the plugs and announce the winnings with the PYL prize music playing in the background?  Oh, well,

Yeah, there was a lot to be mad about with this episode, but just watching the game itself was amazing.  There were some really high suspence points that made it seem just like the original.  Whammy could learn from this.  This is what PYL is supposed to be like.

Also, glad they threw in that three second tribute to Peter.  Nice gesture.

So, was this the best episode so far?  In my opinion, Beat the Clock is still at the top, but this one rides a pretty close second, pretty much tied with Let's Make a Deal.

And for any of you CBS viewers wondering what's seen during the split-screen credits, the real credits are just white text on black that cut from one set to another in absolute silence.  CTV showed the real credits for this episode.  A surprising move, but then their split screen credits are more pointless than CBS's anyway.
Roger Dobkowitz's Seven Commandments of The Price Is Right:
1. Tape and edit the show as if it were live.
2. Never tell the contestant what to do.
3. Size matters. (The bigger the prize, the better the prize and the bigger the reaction.)
4. All prizes are good.
5. Never do anything on the show that would embarrass a parent with a kid watching.
6. Never put on a prize that would make the show look cheap.
7. It’s the game, stupid! (It’s about the game.)

- Roger Dobkowitz on Stu's Show September 23, 2009.

Offline thewhammy_2000

• Double Showcase Winner
    • The FunDMental Game Show Site
« Reply #37 on: June 09, 2006, 02:09:07 PM »
You know I gotta do a post on this one.

Ever since I read that PYL would be part of G$M, I was estatic and happy. I've been anticipating for it ever since. I even wore my "Big Bucks" t-shirt all day as a sign to watch it tonight. I did not want anybody calling me or anything. I was so excited that I had the volume all the way up and shouted/quoted/cued/etc. at the top of my lungs. This is what I really wanted to watch than the other games.

It's great that G$M used clips of episodes that always air on GSN. I know most of us know who they are and what their outcomes are (Jim Hess, Michael Larson, Karen Martin, etc.). I also was a little suprised when Rich said "1981" instead of "1983"; I said this might be a typo. I'm sure hardcore fans know it was 1983. I wanted to show my brother the Larson episode, but it looks like he got a full summary from Rich.

At least Rich yet again repeats a (famous) opening line to start the show. I was a little concerned that the island did not rotate in the opening, but, it's a re-creation. The celebrity banter was time-consuming to me, even though it was only for a few seconds. Next concern: Rotating the island the other way. Nuh-Uh. At least I liked how the sound effects and Eggcrate numbers remained.
Speaking of the island, overall, I give it a B-. The lack of the lighted (and flashing) logo really cost it.

The Board, ah, that Famous Big Board. The one thing I wanted to notice was the sound. "Does it sound like the second version or the third version?" To me, it sounds like both versions, in 3D. I as okay with that. The icons were obviously not like the original. Even some of the PC versions look better than this. I still say that the one Whammy icon on square 16 (and another square) is based on the original--the others look like artist's renditions.
The board itself is totally replicated--obviously. I wanted to see those chasing lights in full motion during the breaks. Instead they run a little slower, like some Christmas lights. I say the red border around the whole board is unnecessary; just keep the border around the logo, which is fine. Maybe it's me, but I prefer the original board with all the designs, lights, etc., with just an technological (only) advancement. This is the best the set designers can do for now. IF there's talk about a revival of the orignal, there's some tinkering that needs to be done. Another B-.

Okay, the play. I was wondering if Rich would do a prize description during round 1. He didn't. Now that I have read the other posts, I now realized that the players did not say "STOP!" at the end of their spins. I guess they weren't fans of the show as most of us. I still think most of us have "STOP!" on our minds in situations that don't have anything to do with PYL. I do. The play was okay--I like the mix of some of the values from original rounds 1 and 2. You can't have PYL without Big Bucks, $470, Flokati Rug, Whammies, $2000 or Lose-1-Whammy, and the Move One Space/Go Back Two Spaces/Advance Two Spaces. I was pleased with these and the other faithful values (and spins).
Another big concern was if the original Whammies would be intact here. Thankfully they were. I'm sure some of us were imitating these Whammies. I was.
As soon as Leslie stopped on his second Whammy, I immediately wanted him to be careful about picking up a third Whammy in round 1. Too bad Ricki didn't say that exactly. Rich's early spoiler gave me a great clue that Leslie would be the one to Whammy out of the game. I did like how the celebrities talked to the board. It was good to hear Kathy say things to the board that all this was for the girls and her person at home. It was also good to hear Tim talk for Chris Farley. I kinda worked for some of his spins.
When it got to the end with those high amounts, I had the feeling that one of them will go in the history books as the one who Whammied with the most money, Whammying Cathy Singer out of that position. (Speaking about Cathy Singer, I wanted the text game to be something hard, not something easy as this. I made my first two text messages on my phone for this entry. I didn't really wanted those trips, but I would like that money, thank you.) Rich was right about the ending, that it all comes to the final spins. MUCH, MUCH BETTER than the Cathy/Lori battle. I hope the producers of Fremantle/Tribune/etc. were watching this, because I loved it!
The ending: I was wondering how they're gonna fill up all this time when all that was left was the prize descriptions. (They're in TV; they know how to do this.) I wasn't to pleased when the win and prize cues weren't played nor use the prize frame. Oh, well. My main concern was if Leslie and Tim recieved anything for their charities. I have a feeling they did because I'm basing this on the charity versions of Millioniare and Weakest Link. I had a ball with this one, and I hope you did too.

Observing the tribute to the one and only Peter Tomarken was a very nice one. I'm sure he and Rod would have something to do with this one. I'll bet they are still talking about it from up above.

Off-Topic: Card Sharks looks like they're molding both versions: Playing Eubanks's version on Perry's set. I can tolerate that, but it's soooooo odd to use Eggcrate numbers (instead of Sports Type) for the players' poduim. I wonder what they're gonna use for the Money Cards...
I'll have to find out next week.
My somewhat popular YouTube channel: http://www.youtube.com/user/thewhammy83 for Price, PYL, and other game shows.

Offline rj2345

• In the Audience
« Reply #38 on: June 09, 2006, 02:22:55 PM »
Well in my area there was a tstorm warning that our CBS station broke in so i did not see how Tim got $30,000+ dollars.

P.S i thought that it was the best of all

Offline styleguy

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #39 on: June 09, 2006, 03:35:53 PM »
I grew up watching "Press Your Luck" like most of the people on the board.
I am so glad this version was faithful to the original, for the most part.  Ricki did well hosting.  She has grown since she started with PIR.  These shows keep getting better.  PYL is my favorite of the bunch.  It felt like I had taken a wayback machine back to 1985.  I loved the real 80s Whammy animations, and they played my favorite, the Whammy with the dynomite.  Now I have to nitpick:  I didn't really like the font on the cash squares.  That's what I really didn't like, the font on the cash squares.  That's it.  It was a great show, the best of the bunch.  If they renew PYL, they should do it this way, only with average Joes and Joannes of course.  Whammy's prizes were way too cheap and the board seemed too futuristic, and the Whammies looked like they got bad plastic surgery.  PYL is about simplicity, not trying to look like a game show from 2050.  The GSM revival was what this show revived should look like.

Offline edmojautis

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #40 on: June 09, 2006, 03:51:46 PM »
Well, I have to say this was the BEST of them all.

Loved the clip montage of Michael Larsen and other PYL moments.

The gameplay was FUN. Kathy and Tim fought hard to see who would be the victor (or victoria :-D ). In the end, Kathy came out on top and we had to bid Tim and poor Leslie Nielsen a fond farewell.

The set was simply marvelous.

The big board was also great.

The fonts and graphics needed work.

The Whammies.....AUTHENTICALLY COOL!!!!

Ricki worked hard and did fairly well.

Fremantle (I got a bad taste in my mouth saying that name), Bring this classic back. Not that "sorry excuse for a GSN remake".  

Peter got some love and I'm grateful of that, too.

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #41 on: June 09, 2006, 06:36:27 PM »
I'll try to read all these laters on, but, was this the board from the "Big Bucks" documentary? I am talking about the one that Ed,Janie, and Micheal Larsen's brother played on in the documentary itself(NOT THE WHAMMY BOARD!)

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #42 on: June 09, 2006, 10:58:05 PM »
br...depends on what you mean exactly.  The Big Board used last night had the same style as the board on the Larson eps, not the Whammy! style.  However, it was certainly not identical to Larson's board--the values were much inflated, and they didn't use the light patterns from his shows.  I was kinda hoping they would, but can understand why they didn't.

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #43 on: June 10, 2006, 12:40:55 AM »
The Overnight Ratings from Thursday night are in:

Zap2It reported:
The pregame show "NBA Nation" scored a 4.7/9 for ABC at 8 p.m., narrowly winning the hour over CBS' "Gameshow Marathon," 4.6/8 (CBS had a small lead in total viewers).

Despite the presence of two big-market teams and a handful of stars, the NBA Finals didn't generate very big ratings for ABC Thursday, allowing CBS to take the night.

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #44 on: June 10, 2006, 03:31:43 PM »
Brad Francini has added info on the GSM version of PYL, including information from the taping.

http://www.gscentral.net