Author Topic: CONFIRMED: Price Moving Out of Television City  (Read 45238 times)

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
Re: Price Moving Out of Television City?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2023, 04:14:52 PM »
Even if they build the same stage as before, it will never have the same excitement as this one.

Hopefully the set looks the exact same as before, or else the show will lose a lot of its long time viewers, and it will lose of its excitement

No. That will NOT be the death knell for the show. Not at all.

The stage is important to some longtime fans because of its historic nature and the fact that it's named after Bob. There are plenty of fans now who, as mind-boggling as it may seem to some of us, don't identify with Bob as the "star" of the show these days. They can't have the same level of attachment some of us do to that particular stage.

The show has survived 15 years with a different host. It has survived two or three (?) without a full audience. There's no real reason to make any drastic changes to the set unless the new stage requires it. But the excitement (or the fake, manufactured screaming) doesn't have anything to do with what stage the show comes from.

If the longtime viewers who still watch regularly haven't found enough reasons to move on by now, I honestly can't fathom a forced relocation to a different studio would suddenly push them over that cliff.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2023, 05:32:49 PM »
Maybe they could call it/say, "From The Bob Barker Stage at Paramount Studios (or at Radford)"

But that's the same thing. You might as well just move the plaque at that point and say "see, it's still the Bob Barker Studio, the plaque's still there."

If they're dead-set on making sure Bob's name is mentioned every episode, then fine, it's nice as a symbolic gesture. But it isn't Bob Barker's stage. Bob never set foot on it. If the intro was changed to remove the reference, I would be sad to see it go, but I would understand it. It makes more sense than bending over backwards to keep his name in.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline EvilChameleon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2023, 05:50:14 PM »
If they're dead-set on making sure Bob's name is mentioned every episode, then fine, it's nice as a symbolic gesture. But it isn't Bob Barker's stage. Bob never set foot on it. If the intro was changed to remove the reference, I would be sad to see it go, but I would understand it. It makes more sense than bending over backwards to keep his name in.
Yeah, and Louis Armstrong never stepped inside Louis Armstrong Stadium in Queens, yet it's still named after him. Naming wherever they tape next after Bob isn't them bending over backwards to keep his name in the intro.

Offline GameShowFan1987

• Double Showcase Winner
  • The Bob
    • The New Adventures of Sonic the Hedgehog
« Reply #18 on: February 24, 2023, 06:41:01 PM »
Wherever the show is taped, as long as it continues to be produced in a way that makes it enjoyable, does it really matter? Studio 33 aka Bob Barker Studio might be historic, but things come and go. If they really wanted to mimic the old studio, I'm sure they'd find a way if they felt it necessary. If they even went so far as to rename the new studio Bob Barker Studio or the Bob Barker Stage or something else, I don't see a problem with that though I suspect it's unlikely.  I could feasibly see the intro being changed to reflect the new location or revert to using the "television's most exciting hour of fantastic prizes" line. In any case, while it's somewhat sad to see the show have to move, it's not going to ruin it.

The actual retail price is...

Offline Flerbert419

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #19 on: February 24, 2023, 08:22:05 PM »
I think I'd make the bet that the show will look close to, if not exactly like it does now.  I could be totally wrong, but I don't know if there would be a big difference unless TPTB wanted to change things (or had to).

I think it would be a missed opportunity not to consider what improvements they would look for in a new space to continue to enhance the show. I'm sure if you asked the current staff there are things they would like to change.

Not moving the turntable to roll the car out during Lucky $even. 4 Big Doors for less changeover. Easier options to conceal pricing games and prizes. Add more room to the cramped quarters backstage. More flexibilty for camera operation. Sound dampening options.

Plopping what you have in a new studio ruins a great chance to make a jump forward.
"The most famous game on The Price is Right is Plinko..." "Which I don't get, honestly."
~ Drew Carey to Chris Wallace, aired January 26, 2024

Offline FDRfan

• In the Audience
« Reply #20 on: February 24, 2023, 09:40:53 PM »
Wasn't Studio 33 well known for the Carol Burnett Show, before it became associated with TPIR?  Surprised the stage wasn't named after her.

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #21 on: February 24, 2023, 10:34:54 PM »
Wasn't Studio 33 well known for the Carol Burnett Show, before it became associated with TPIR?  Surprised the stage wasn't named after her.
And I'm surprised she didn't throw a shoe, when they did end up dedicating it to Bob.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2023, 10:02:20 AM »

Carol Burnett was one of many legendary performers who used that stage. Her show ran 11 seasons. The stage was named after Barker when he reached 5,000 episodes and the show was still going strong and considered a jewel of CBS's daytime crown. If they were going to rename the stage after Burnett, they'd have done so many years ago.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline TPIRZippy

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #23 on: February 26, 2023, 11:34:50 PM »

As Carol said when she dropped in on TPIR in the early 90s, it's the best stage in town.  Jack Benny, Red Skelton, Gene Rayburn (and CNR and Brett), Richard Dawson, Dick Clark, Tom Kennedy, Pat and Vanna, Bill Maher, Tom Bergeron, and so many more have done shows there.  The Hollywood Television Showcase scene in the movie That Thing You Do! was filmed there (with CBS lights and the curtains visible despite it being fictionalized as Studio 22 at the City of Broadcasting).  For it to be named for Bob, who probably is most identified with it for 26 years of continuous shows there at the time of the naming, does make sense.  Losing a facility with that kind of heritage would be sad, but it doesn't mean the show would end.
Should they move out to some other studio space, I will be glad that I got to visit in 2004 and 1998--including being in the audience for Show 5000 with the announcement of the naming for Bob.

Offline UltraPrice

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #24 on: February 28, 2023, 03:16:36 AM »
Hopefully the show reaches 10,000 shows before they move.  How many daytime episodes is the show at currently?

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #25 on: February 28, 2023, 11:47:58 PM »
I'm not sure of the exact number off the top of my head (a lot of changes to the (tape) schedule I think).

However, I don't think they're going to get to 10,000 before the move.  I can't see them taping anything beyond January 2024, and I believe the 10,000th show is slated to occur during Season 53
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Online ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #26 on: March 01, 2023, 12:01:09 AM »
Hopefully the show reaches 10,000 shows before they move.  How many daytime episodes is the show at currently?

The 10,000th episode is projected to air in spring 2025.

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #27 on: March 01, 2023, 02:50:53 AM »
The 10,000th episode is projected to air in spring 2025.

That sounds about right.  If they keep up their usual pace, the 10,000th episode will be the 104th show of Season 53.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline GobGlom

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #28 on: March 03, 2023, 04:59:04 PM »
The French Canadian (Price is Right: A vous de jouer!) built up their set to have Contestants Row be like the US version, so it can be done. I'm sure wherever they choose they'll try to make it a similar experience to what currently exists.

If they reserve Studio 29 at Paramount for Price, it would keep them set up right off the road. Fortunately, Dr. Phil will be vacating that location soon.

Offline pannoni1

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #29 on: March 04, 2023, 08:34:00 AM »
When I took the Paramount studio tour in 2017, it included a visit at Studio 29. I like the stadium-style layout in terms of aesthetics more than the more gently sloping Studio 33 in terms of seeing a show, and its not that far from TVC compared to other studios, so they could easily relocate everything with ease. With this move, this will make Wheel of Fortune and Jeopardy! the two game shows with the longest-running tenure at the same studio (since 1994), and while I will be saddened a bit to see it go, that's what business is all about. I'd love to see a TPIR Hall of Fame like what Jeopardy! has right now, and this could include the plaque for the Bob Barker Studio. 
Now open for tape trading! Please PM me for an offer with a list included.

The list: http://pannoni1.angelfire.com/