Author Topic: CONFIRMED: Price Moving Out of Television City  (Read 45137 times)

Offline Combs

• In Contestant's Row
Re: CONFIRMED: Price Moving Out of Television City
« Reply #60 on: March 11, 2023, 11:59:21 AM »
I forget when they usually finish up taping for a season? It’s usually around March or April, isn’t it? Just curious when the last episode at Television City will be taped.

Wow. It's really moved up. Season finales used to tape in May or early June. I figured they would be in Studio 33 until then and start moving in June, taping season 52 episodes in the new studio during the summer and begin airing them in September.

Offline Combs

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #61 on: March 11, 2023, 12:15:57 PM »
I have a question not pertaining to TPIR moving to the new studio, but I'm not sure which thread it belongs in and I didn't want to start a new thread for it. 

During the last few years of Bob Barker's era, there were HD cameras in Studio 33. Even though those episodes were not broadcast in HD, could they be viewed in HD? I'm not a "tech guy" so I have no idea. Even though they were using HD cameras, were they still only recording them in standard definition? If so, I'm guessing you'd never be able to see those episodes in HD?

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #62 on: March 11, 2023, 12:34:35 PM »
During the last few years of Bob Barker's era, there were HD cameras in Studio 33. Even though those episodes were not broadcast in HD, could they be viewed in HD? I'm not a "tech guy" so I have no idea. Even though they were using HD cameras, were they still only recording them in standard definition? If so, I'm guessing you'd never be able to see those episodes in HD?

The way I understand it (recalling bits and pieces I’ve gathered over the years), the cameras were upgraded to HD but not the video production equipment they were connected to, so those last couple of Barker seasons were only taped in 480i SD.  No HD copies exist.  The S36 MDS series temporarily utilized special production equipment in order to actually tape in HD (I can’t recall whether they brought that equipment in-house or ran cables to another production room equipped with HD at TVC), but as far as I know, they were still using the old SD setup for the daytime show until S37 when HD became permanent.  For some reason, I have recollection of reading they might have began testing HD in daytime (unaired) in S36, but I could be wrong about that — feel free to correct me, anyone who knows.  If they did, then it might be possible a daytime HD clip from late in S36 could one day surface, but it would have to come from the production itself in a YouTube clip or something.  I don’t foresee that happening, though.
Pardon my language, but I do believe we all need to calm the f*** down.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #63 on: March 11, 2023, 12:39:46 PM »
For some reason, I have recollection of reading they might have began testing HD in daytime (unaired) in S36, but I could be wrong about that — feel free to correct me, anyone who knows.

No, you're correct -- the last 12 episodes of Season 36 were shot in HD but broadcast in SD.

Whether or not that means they could be viewed in HD in the future (never mind whether it would be a good idea), I have no idea, but it absolutely happened.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #64 on: March 11, 2023, 01:54:05 PM »
All good things must come to an end eventually.  While most of you might not view it this way, at least they didn't have to cancel the show because they lost studio space (or new studio incompatibilities).  The show has no fundamental changes to its layout since it started, let's see what happens.  They probably won't add a video wall?

With this being on possible long-term Fremantle property it also covers some risk if CBS stops programming daytime in the future - could be easier to syndicate if possible.

Wow. It's really moved up. Season finales used to tape in May or early June. I figured they would be in Studio 33 until then and start moving in June, taping season 52 episodes in the new studio during the summer and begin airing them in September.
IIRC towards the end of the Barker era they taped 4 shows a week at the end of the season, two Monday and one each on Tuesday and Wednesday.  Turnaround times ended up being around a week right at the end.  One show, maybe in season 34, was a fill-in and the turnaround was like three days.
They can be close at the top, too.
#42SP

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #65 on: March 11, 2023, 02:41:31 PM »
Another potential caveat with the new studio: 4K.  It’s not something we’ll see right away — in fact, it would likely be many years before any sort of 4K broadcast would make it to air in any capacity, streaming or otherwise.  However… I don’t foresee the existing cameras and production equipment being transferred to the new studio due to their age and the fact CBS (presumably) owns it all.  Haven Studios will probably be fully equipped for 4K as many productions now shoot in the format, so I don’t think it’s too much of a stretch that Price will also have a 4K-ready production room and cameras. 

Even if 4K isn’t utilized, presuming my theory is correct, they would at least be in a position to broadcast in 1080p (as opposed to 1080i now), which is more likely to be the next broadcasting ‘leap’ than 4K in the near-ish future and will still make a very noticeable difference in picture quality as long as there is less compression.  This obviously won’t be on the same level as the transition from 480i SD to 1080i HD, but 1080p and/or 4K is still an upgrade that might never have happened at TVC.

“It’s an important stick — it’s my Plinko stick...I use it for A LOT of things!” - Bob Barker

Offline blozier2006

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #66 on: March 11, 2023, 03:27:11 PM »
They probably won't add a video wall?
Well, in a sense they already have, if you count the screen at the back of the audience.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #67 on: March 11, 2023, 03:43:54 PM »
Well, in a sense they already have, if you count the screen at the back of the audience.
This was a jab at Price '94.
#42SP

Offline SteveGavazzi

• Loyal Friend and True &
  • Director
« Reply #68 on: March 11, 2023, 07:17:08 PM »
This was a jab at Price '94.

You know, back in the day, there was a (probably irrational) fear of the Turntable being replaced with a video wall.  I think one of the biggest unsung victories of the current staff is working a set of video walls into the Turntable.
"Every game is somebody's favorite." -- Wise words from Roger Dobkowitz.

Offline tpirfan28

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #69 on: March 12, 2023, 08:40:30 AM »
You know, back in the day, there was a (probably irrational) fear of the Turntable being replaced with a video wall.  I think one of the biggest unsung victories of the current staff is working a set of video walls into the Turntable.
I would absolutely believe a rumor that Syd wanted to replace the turntable with the video wall and Roger and Bob vetoed it.

I just wish the current video wall/turntable setup was still squares.
#42SP

Offline LFAT since diapers

• 11/20/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #70 on: March 12, 2023, 10:19:35 AM »
I would absolutely believe a rumor that Syd wanted to replace the turntable with the video wall and Roger and Bob vetoed it.

I just wish the current video wall/turntable setup was still squares.

The current decor is more influenced by mid-century sensibilities vs. the original '72; the move presents an opportunity to go back to the origin material, obviously done with depth and surfaces that would hold up given modern video resolution.

Offline CBSpromoman

• Double Showcase Winner
    • Patrick’s Place
« Reply #71 on: March 12, 2023, 02:18:32 PM »
I think one of the biggest unsung victories of the current staff is working a set of video walls into the Turntable.

I think the reason it's unsung is the amount of movement they force into those screens. It's far too distracting. Their staging of "Shell Game" with the fast, distracting animation everywhere is horrible.

That said, I doubt they'd do away with the turntable altogether since it's still an efficient way to move prizes on and off the stage. But I could easily see them replacing the rest of the home base with full video wall. I wouldn't care for that idea, but I'm not 100% crazy about the way they're doing it now, either.
Visit my blog: Patrick's Place

Offline Mr. Weatherman

« Reply #72 on: March 12, 2023, 07:56:15 PM »
To be fair, a giant video wall by 2007 technological standards would have barely been an upgrade over the 1994 Davidson wall, especially on the brightly lit set of the daytime show and rear projection still being the ‘easiest’ way to achieve large-scale HD at the time — in other words, it would have looked horrendous.  They could probably do some pretty impressive stuff with the technology we have now.  I definitely wouldn’t be opposed to some sort of upgrade to the 2015 turntable monitor layout as long as it isn’t too distracting.  Video technology has progressed leaps and bounds in the past eight years.  Let’s see what they can do with it!

Offline GRWHAMMY the 2nd

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #73 on: March 12, 2023, 08:16:23 PM »
imagine if the last 3 games played in Studio 33 end up being the first 3 (Any Number/Bonus Game/Double Prices)

Offline jhc2010

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #74 on: March 13, 2023, 02:20:46 AM »
Could there be a Price Primetime Special taped to end the season? “One last time from the Bob Barker Studio”.

Or will CBS do a primetime special reflecting on all the years at Television City like they did for its 50th anniversary?