Author Topic: Recap for September 14, 1977 (2473D; The CR Wardrobe Malfunction Incident)  (Read 586 times)

Offline Macsen

• The mythical, elusive S39-S40 Recap Guide
    • Twitch streaming
Instead of the usual recent thing of commenting after the recap, I want to comment before this time.

Apparently, there was a recap long ago, but it was lost in the big site crash long, long ago. A placeholder thread was put up, and people commented on it. But I didn't feel right sliding the recap in there. Thus, the new thread.

The Price is Right Recap - 11/23/2010

Episode #2473D (The Contestant Wardrobe Malfunction Incident)
Aired: 9/14/1977
Models: Janice Pennington, Dian Parkinson, Holly Hallstrom
Bob Entrance: Door 2
Mic Handoff: Janice
First Four Contestant Seating: Left-to-Right

This is it. The moment that made notoriety for The Price is Right.

The intro was going good until Johnny Olson called down the second of the First Four, Yolanda Bowersly. In her run down to Contestants Row, the top of her sundress—which, I might add, lacked shoulder straps—slipped down. Modern replays, including the full show YouTube video I'm using to help build this recap, have a solid blue censor bar; it's probably how it was censored originally.

When Bob came out, he joked that this was staged. He said, "I know you truly love me, but you don't really love me this much, do you?"

Johnny Olson chimed in, saying, "Bob, they have given their all for you." Bob went on to joke about this possibly being revenge for a vaccine incident that clearly didn't happen, and telling Johnny that this is how he wanted every episode to begin.

Yolanda was definitely embarrassed, but appeared to be a good sport for the incident. It was clearly just a very unfortunately-timed wardrobe malfunction.

First IUFB: Range (Country Charm; ARP: $595) (Dian)

SUSAN YOLANDA JANIS BETTY WINNER
$1580 $1400 $1200 $899 JANIS

Janis is playing Clock Game.

Desk and chair (Bernhardt; ARP: $435) (Janice): 300 400 500 450 440 430 431 32 33 34 35 RIGHT :21

Color TV (Admiral console TV; ARP: $790) (Janice): 600 700 800 750 775 780 790 *WIN* :15

Second IUFB: Dinette set (Bozoff Dinettes; ARP: $650) (Dian)

Susan Yolanda DENISE Betty WINNER
$425 $350 $400 $500 JANIS

Betty is the first contestant to play the new pricing game, Secret "X"!

What a time for a brand new game to premiere. This is the first show airing that will play the new game Secret "X". Bob credits Kathy McDonald (for those who are new here, that's Kathy Greco's maiden name) with its creation. He explains that the contestant can make a tic-tac-toe either horizontally or diagonally. The trick is, they cannot make one vertically, as there is a secret X somewhere in the middle column. The contestant gets a free X, and can win up to two more.

Once the contestant places their X's, the center column's X will be revealed. And if a tic-tac-toe is made, they will win the grand prize of the game. Today, that prize is a camping trailer. (Coleman Valley Forge; ARP: $2,298) (Janice)

Free X placed in middle left. (Items by Holly)

ITEM CHOICES GUESS ARP RESULT
Carpet sweeper (Bissel) $21 $14 $21 $14 WRONG
Digital clock radio (GE) $68 $75 $75 $68 WRONG

Board:

X  
X    

WIPEOUT

Third IUFB: Colonial bed (w/King Koil mattress; ARP: $455) (Dian)

Susan Yolanda Denise KAREN WINNER
$540 $450 $451 $650 JANIS

Denise is playing Any Number for a Buick Skylark. (AT, body-side moulding, door moulding, sport mirror, bias-belted whitewall tires, bumper strip and guard, carpet savers, dual horns, headlamp indicator, bucket seats, styled wheel covers) (Janice)

Order of numbers chosen: 8, 6, 5, 9, 2, 3, 1, 0

Buick Skylark 4   3  
Surfboard (William Dennis) (Holly)      
T.D.P.B. LOSS 7. 5 9

Car ARP: $4,832
Surfboard ARP: $160

SCSD #1

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL
Denise $462.59 5 5 10
OUCH
Betty $650 70 STAY 70
Janis $1,820 35 65 *$1,000!*
*SHOWCASE*

Fourth IUFB: Side-by-side refrigerator/freezer (Amana 19; ARP: $780) (Dian)

Susan Yolanda GLORIA Karen WINNER
$670 $550 $750 $775 KAREN

Karen is playing Double Prices for a Viking Sauna wine vault. (Holly)

$1,450
ARP: $1,450
LOSS
$1,525

Fifth IUFB: Pair of rain lamps (Johnson Industries; ARP: $280) (Janice)

Before we go any further, it should be pointed out that the next contestant to be called down, Theresa, had a dress very similar in style to Yolanda's. And when she hurried down to Contestants Row, she self-consciously held tightly onto the top of it.

Bob quipped that Theresa was the most exciting thing to happen to the show since Yolanda.

Susan Yolanda Gloria THERESA WINNER
$670 $550 $750 $775 SUSAN

Natalie is playing Ten Chances for a Buick Regal coupe. (bumper and door edge guards, landau top, sport mirror, chrome wheels, steel-belted radial whitewall tires, body side moulding, accent stripe, AM/FM/Cassette, CB, power windows, rear window defroster) (Holly; Dian on small items)

ITEM Regal Cookware
4 1 8
Washer and dryer (Whirlpool)
9 7 1 0
Buick Regal
3 0 6 9 1
GUESS 48 791 719 710 6390 6190 9630 6910 6390 6913
RESULT $48     $710           $6,193
LOSS

If only she had gone from 6190 to 6193...

Poor Yolanda. In spite of her ignoble start, she hasn't played the IUFBs poorly. It's an early case of bad luck. She is looking to avoid being an early inductee to the First Four Breakfast Club. But with Susan pulling the rip cord early, this has left Yolanda on the second guess for the last item.

Sixth IUFB: Freestanding fireplace (Majestic REgency; ARP: $330) (Janice)

PARRIS Yolanda Gloria Theresa WINNER
$415 $450 $400 $425 OVER
$285 $350 $351 $355 PARRIS

Oh, Yolanda. I should've thought of naming my First Four Wall of Shame after you when I was the recap guide. I can think of no one better to be the patron saint of the various societies we have come up with to recognize First Four contestants who could not escape Contestants Row.

Meanwhile, Parris is playing Hurdles for a grand piano. (Cable; ARP: $4,062) (Dian) The hurdler represents Uncle Ben's long grain & wild rice mix. (ARP: 79¢)

HURDLE 1:
Goya paella mix
Canada Dry tonic water (16.9 oz) (ARP: 39¢)

HURDLE 2:
Staley pancake syrup (ARP: 63¢)
Dentyne gum 10pk

HURDLE 3:
Laughing Cow cheese wheel
Chunky family size chocolate/peanut bar (ARP: 69¢)

*WIN*

SCSD #2

Contestant Winnings Spin 1 Spin 2 TOTAL
Karen $780 20 85 OVER
Susan $1,038 15 55 *SHOWCASE*
Parris $4,392 65 70 OVER

SHOWCASE ROUND
Janis has the honor...

SC1 - SUSAN TRADITIONS HAVE TO BEGIN SOMEWHERE LIVING ROOM
BID: $4,600 The Living Room Group of Doom (Broyhill couch, loveseat, sofa, two side tables, coffee table, two lamps; 40 sq. yds. Downs carpet) (Holly)
Organ (Lowery) (Janice)
Dune buggy (4 seats, 40hp engine) (Dian)
ARP: $7,908
DIFF: $3,308
*WIN* $8,946
SC2 - JANIS A SALUTE TO FRANK SINATRA ENTERTAINER
BID: $4,350 Stereo console (Monteverdi; AM/FM receiver, 8-track player/recorder, automatic record changer) + 18 Frank Sinatra vinyl albums (Janice)
New York City (Coach LA to NYC, 7n Hotel Westbury)
Hawaii (Coach NYC to Maui, 7n Hotel Inter-Continental Maui)
Las Vegas (Coach Maui to Vegas, 7n Hotel Sahara, $1,000 cash, return coach Vegas to LA)
ARP: $4,300
DIFF: PAIN!!!
LOSS $2,820

Show Results: 2 out of 6
Total Winnings: $17,050.59

THIS RECAP IS THE PRODUCED SOLELY FOR GOLDEN-ROAD.NET
UNAUTHORIZED REPRODUCTION OR EXHIBITION IS PROHIBITED

PRODUCED BY MACSEN

EDIT: I accidentally forgot to edit the yellow showcase indicators from the final act.
EDIT 2: Forgot to list the correct free X location.
EDIT 3: And because I'm still not used to this, I forgot to put in IUFB 6.
« Last Edit: March 20, 2023, 06:15:05 PM by Macsen »
"Kitch? Yes, that is what they used to call me..."

Offline Prizes

• Director
  • Took a swing and my drive found twine!
    • Buy a Vowel Boards, a WOF Community
Secret X's X placement wasn't the only time the top was revealed that day...
Hard work increases the probability of serendipity. —Ken Poirot

Finally made it in life!