Author Topic: Emotional attachments to certain games  (Read 1720 times)

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In Contestant's Row
Emotional attachments to certain games
« on: April 15, 2023, 10:09:35 AM »
I recognize that this is a rather odd subject but I was curious if anyone else had emotional attachments, sentimental feelings toward certain pricing games.

As I was age 5 when the show began in September 1972, I have fond memories of watching Price with my paternal grandmother on days when I visited her house, either due to my being sick or just in general, and for some reason, Bonus Game is the game I most associate with her.  So whenever I see it played, it harkens me back to being in her living room in the early 1970s.

Five Price Tags does it for me too as it's a true "Classic" classic game, virtually unchanged since the very beginning.  Yes the board with the actual price tags for the car has changed as far as fonts and the WIN! card, and the podiums used for the small prize part of the game are much nicer than in 1972, but ultimately it seems to be the one game from season 1 that has undergone the least amount of change.

Oddly enough, I'm beginning to actually like "That's Too Much" a bit more.  It was the last new pricing game to air before my Mom's passing.  I have no idea if she ever saw that game or not though, but it makes me think of her anyway.

Hi Lo also makes me think of my Mom.  She very much loved that pricing game, especially if the prize was a new dining room.  She said of all the merchandise prizes the show offered, that was the one she coveted most.

Ten Chances, Golden Road, One Right Price do it for me as I owned both the original and the 2nd edition home games and I know those 3 pricing games were included in the 2nd edition, along with Poker Game which I miss.

Offline JayC

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Emotional attachments to certain games
« Reply #1 on: April 15, 2023, 11:41:05 AM »
For me it's Hole in One (or Two) and Shell Game because they were my favorite game watching as a kid, so I still enjoy watching them played today.

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Always ready for that prize reveal...
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #2 on: April 15, 2023, 12:07:24 PM »
Taking it in a slightly different emotional direction, Clock Game. It's mostly just the pressure of getting things in any type of game done before time runs out. It was kinda silly back then, but a part of that feeling sticks with me now, and that's why I like the pricing game today.

I really wanted to look at the prize in Safe Crackers. I get why you don't, but that also brought out my emotions.

I'd say Cliff Hangers also counts, as I became emotionally attached to the mountain climber the first time I remember seeing him fall off the cliff. I seem to recall it being a rare occurrence even before September 1995 before I started kindergarten (my memory from that age isn't perfect, but Cliff Hangers and Clock Game really stood out).
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline Plinkoman

• 5/28/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #3 on: April 15, 2023, 01:28:07 PM »
Clock Game and Shell Game remind me a lot of my grandma, because Clock Game is her favorite game and we used to play Shell Game with Dixie cups and a marble when I was a kid.

Of course, I've got a lot of love for Push Over, but there's a second story involving that game: In 2017 I was working a rodeo and a bull broke my ankle, so I had surgery the next day and three months off of work. It actually turned out to be a major blessing, as my grandfather passed away later that year and my grandmother had a stroke (but, she's still alive and kicking!). So, every day we would watch The Price Is Right. On my birthday, May 18, it was Dream Car Week (fitting because I would end up being a contestant on DCW two years later). My grandfather loved cars and worked on them his entire life. They played Push Over for a Chevy Camero that day... and it was won. We were playing along and I would have won the car too. After that, my grandfather told me I had to go out to California one day and get on that show.

Well, I did. Told the story about getting my ankle broken and watching the show with my grandfather to Stan and then I was picked, played Push Over, and won it. I guess I was truly meant to play that game!
1,667 days until I am re-eligible to be a contestant on The Price Is Right!

No longer a Push Over!

Offline tpirfansince1972

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #4 on: April 15, 2023, 04:47:24 PM »
Clock Game and Shell Game remind me a lot of my grandma, because Clock Game is her favorite game and we used to play Shell Game with Dixie cups and a marble when I was a kid.

Of course, I've got a lot of love for Push Over, but there's a second story involving that game: In 2017 I was working a rodeo and a bull broke my ankle, so I had surgery the next day and three months off of work. It actually turned out to be a major blessing, as my grandfather passed away later that year and my grandmother had a stroke (but, she's still alive and kicking!). So, every day we would watch The Price Is Right. On my birthday, May 18, it was Dream Car Week (fitting because I would end up being a contestant on DCW two years later). My grandfather loved cars and worked on them his entire life. They played Push Over for a Chevy Camero that day... and it was won. We were playing along and I would have won the car too. After that, my grandfather told me I had to go out to California one day and get on that show.

Well, I did. Told the story about getting my ankle broken and watching the show with my grandfather to Stan and then I was picked, played Push Over, and won it. I guess I was truly meant to play that game!

I'd be hard pressed to think anybody else here can top this!  That's so awesome!  The Dixie Cups and marble story was very touching, made me flash back to when my grandmother would humor me by letting me be Wink Martindale and hosting Gambit in her kitchen with her as the players.

Offline Thatgameshowguy

• 2/1/2023: Superfan!
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • my trailer is all flat and paper-y
« Reply #5 on: April 16, 2023, 01:36:37 AM »
I've always had an emotional attachment to Magic # for some reason. I guess you could say I'm also a pretty big fan of Now... or Then.
YES! You have them all right! You win $2,500! You will putt from the closest line!

Jhc2010 putts from the closest line and WINS!!!

Congratulations! Those 2 cars are yours! Now we go to the Showcase Showdown! You will spin first. Pick a number between 1 and 20.

Online gamesurf

• 4/4/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
  • makin' flippy floppy, tryin' to do my best
« Reply #6 on: April 16, 2023, 02:13:20 AM »
I went from liking Vend-O-Price, to loving it, to thinking it was the stupidest game ever, to liking it again, in the span of about 5 minutes.

Seriously I've always loved mini golf and I've always loved Hole in One. Not even making the pricing impossible and screwing up the camera angles can make Hole in One not fun.
Quote from: Bill Todman
"The sign of a good game, is when you don't have to explain it every day. The key is not simplicity, but apparent simplicity. Password looks like any idiot could have made it up, but we have 14 of our people working on that show. There is a great complexity behind the screen. It requires great work to keep it simple."

Offline tpir04

• Taking a Bonus Spin
  • Why, oh why?
« Reply #7 on: April 16, 2023, 06:14:26 PM »
Let 'em Roll because the dice tumbling down the ramp was weirdly enthralling to four-year-old me. Same with Magic # (rip), as I could never figure out how those yellow balls were able to float!

Clearance Sale has stuck with me for a while, as I always loved seeing the different colors of balloons. It's one of a few pricing games I distinctly remember seeing as a toddler.

I'm quite fond of Side by Side's old set, as those glass blocks reminded me of the ones found in the hair salon my mom used to frequent some 18 years ago. While my mom was getting her hair cut and styled, I was playing with the combs in the drawers! Never did figure out why...

CSS: Exacta, 6/3/2019
Lifetime earnings: $1,896,732
Season 18 cash earnings: $629,243
Season 19 cash earnings: $490,110
FPG: 2019-2020 Finals Champion

Live for the present.  Embrace the future.  Our favorite game show is still producing excellent, high quality, exciting, hour-long* shows every weekday throughout its traditional season window.  It’s as good as it’s been in a long, long time.  If the 1980s were the ‘good ole days’ for the Barker era, so is RIGHT NOW for the Carey era.  Don’t worry about what the future holds.  It will play out in due time.  Enjoy what we have right in front of us in the meantime!

Offline Hag

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Don't fork too soon.
« Reply #8 on: April 16, 2023, 06:42:05 PM »
I know it's long since retired, but I used to love Hurdles as a kid, both the excitement of the game play itself, then I got a kick over the hurdler crashing complete with the "CRASH" graphic.
2nd place, 2011 CSS playoffs.     QSW, 3/27/17, 1/15/18. Exacta, 5/14/21.

"Four cents cost you 10,000 dollars."

Offline SamJ93

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #9 on: April 16, 2023, 09:46:07 PM »
As a childhood skee-ball enthusiast, I was pretty gutted when Super Ball!! was retired.

Offline WilliamPorygon

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #10 on: April 16, 2023, 11:34:29 PM »
Three Strikes often reminds me of watching with my grandfather back in the 90s... because it was by far his least favorite game, and he'd make sure everyone knew it every time it showed up.  :lol:

Offline harvsoul

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #11 on: April 18, 2023, 01:01:01 PM »
I know it's long since retired, but I used to love Hurdles as a kid, both the excitement of the game play itself, then I got a kick over the hurdler crashing complete with the "CRASH" graphic.

Regarding the Hurdles game, I so wanted them to use the "Chariots of Fire" theme for the Hurdler segment after 1981 or 1982. Even now, watching this, i would mute the music and play that.

Offline RCB

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #12 on: April 18, 2023, 02:47:43 PM »
For me, it has to be Half Off.  My mom took me to the show when I was 18 for a grad gift and they premiered Half Off - I noticed the new game prop with the SPs on it and knew right away it was a new game!  The money just so happened to be in my lucky number too.  While it's far from my favourite game, it will always have a special place for me.