Author Topic: Pat Sajak Retiring from Wheel of Fortune  (Read 4308 times)

Offline PriceFan07

• Double Showcase Winner
Re: Pat Sajak Retiring from Wheel of Fortune
« Reply #30 on: June 24, 2023, 04:26:50 PM »
While I don't necessarily agree with you that Pat isn't as attached to Wheel's legacy as Bob or Alex to their respective shows, I can see why you might feel that way. Bob was seen on-camera virtually the entire episode at TPiR, Alex's voice was heard 90% off every Jeopardy episode whereas Pat, while heard throughout each episode, is in a more reduced capacity overall. I do think that finding the right replacement for Pat is a big job and his presence will be missed on the show.
Get Ready to Price the Prize!
George Gray! Rachel Reynolds! Amber Lancaster! Manuela Arbelaez! Alexis Gaube! And James O'Halloran!
As we play the fabulous, sixty-minute Price is Right!
And here's the star of The Price is Right - Drew Carey!

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #31 on: June 25, 2023, 10:59:48 PM »
Eh. I think it's the team of Pat and Vanna that's more the comfort as a whole and even then, I'd consider Vanna to have the higher profile in likability, something Pat would admit and has joked about in the past.

In the past, I've wondered how the show would've been with Pat but someone else other than Vanna.  Sure Pat started with Susan still there, but if Vanna had exited to do something else, and Pat stayed as host, I'm not sure I would've been a fan of that.  Sorta like Johnny sans Ed or Conan w/o Andy (to a much lesser extent).

So I agree about Vanna's popularity being higher than Pat.  I think the show would've been fine regardless (and I think WOF will be very good in the aftermath of Sajak & eventually White), but the duo of those two is something I don't always think of.

Finally, I never thought of the totals in terms of screentime or how often I've heard Pat on Wheel.  IDK, I think Sajak's presence is good enough to where I've never wondered why he isn't seen or heard from compared to Bob or Alex on their shows.  However, finding a successor, while not easy, will be far from super difficult or impossible
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck

Offline jude_este

• Walking the Golden Road
  • Camp Old School Sci-Fi
« Reply #32 on: June 27, 2023, 01:05:20 PM »
As per news sources picking up on the initial The New York Times news story, Ryan Seacrest has officially been confirmed as Pat's replacement.

https://tvline.com/news/ryan-seacrest-wheel-of-fortune-new-host-replacing-pat-sajak-1235006091/

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #33 on: June 27, 2023, 01:09:38 PM »
?s=20 Wheel's tweet
?s=20 Ryan's tweet

Offline ooboh

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #34 on: June 27, 2023, 01:25:03 PM »
Ryan Seacrest is a good, safe choice. I'm disappointed that Mark L. Walberg didn't get a chance to audition (if that possibility even existed), but as he is 60, I can see why the producers went in a different direction.

Offline Reloaden

• Taking a Bonus Spin
« Reply #35 on: June 27, 2023, 01:54:01 PM »
I am not shocked Ryan is a bigger name and he's a safe choice. I think he will do a good job. I was hoping for  Mark L. Walberg, seems like the current trend is to have big names host Game Shows nowadays.

Offline SeaBreeze341

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Everyone knows the damn thing's not there!
« Reply #36 on: June 27, 2023, 02:10:24 PM »
As for Pat's WOF replacement, I may be solo, but I would actually be okay with Ryan Seacrest as the successor.  Way too early to think there's anything to it or that it's more probable than not, but I can't picture him struggling in any way on WOF

The only thing that's wrong with my post was how quick this took.  Well, that, and being the "only person" to "predict" it.  There were several reports in the days after the Sajak announcement from TMZ & others saying that Ryan was a top choice or front-runner.  Looks like this had been in the works for quite a long time.

As mentioned, I'm okay with this; Seacrest has some experience, having hosted a Merv Griffin product in Click in the 1990s.  Plus, there really isn't any "baggage" on the guy.  Finally, this decision, IMO, beats the method Jeopardy did a couple years ago.  While there was a reason for it, might as well decide quick with probably the most definitive choice for the future of WOF
"Times change; people change" -- Casey Affleck