Author Topic: TPiR Recap - 4/19/2023  (Read 4863 times)

Offline b_masters8

• Taking a Bonus Spin
Re: TPiR Recap - 4/19/2023
« Reply #15 on: April 20, 2023, 02:07:11 PM »
May 2000 was a legit perfect win in 10 Chances.  November 2000 saw another perfect playing in 10 Chances, but not because of the contestant's skill

https://archive.org/details/the-price-is-right-november-1-2000-ten-chances-blooper

Looked on YouTube, and there were exactas in 1984 and 1985 as well.

(first one, 1984)

(second one, 1985)

Unfortunately I could not get past the wheel, but I could not have asked for a better experience.

True that-- if you could have had some icing on your cake with a Showcase win, that would have really made the show; nonetheless, when I saw you make history with that exacta, I was as amazed at home as Drew was there in the studio, so I'm still quite proud of you.

Offline TinoStar11

• Double Showcase Winner
« Reply #16 on: April 20, 2023, 02:41:11 PM »
Unfortunately I could not get past the wheel, but I could not have asked for a better experience.

Do you recall making guesses on the 2 showcases ARP , after you saw them in the studio?

Offline LiteBulb88

• 4/15/2019
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #17 on: April 20, 2023, 02:49:24 PM »
Congrats Tony!! I am so glad to see the show embracing its superfans these days instead of seeing us as enemies. And what a playing of 10 Chances you gave us. I bet playing it perfectly meant more to you than the actual prizes you won. And you deserve it too, after all that work you put into tpir .tv...I spent many hours in college enjoying the clips and what not on that site. In fact, I still remember some of the lyrics to the Splendido song...nothing but furniture... :-D

Offline GFinNY

• 4/18/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #18 on: April 20, 2023, 04:32:50 PM »
Congrats Tony!! I am so glad to see the show embracing its superfans these days instead of seeing us as enemies. And what a playing of 10 Chances you gave us. I bet playing it perfectly meant more to you than the actual prizes you won. And you deserve it too, after all that work you put into tpir .tv...I spent many hours in college enjoying the clips and what not on that site. In fact, I still remember some of the lyrics to the Splendido song...nothing but furniture... :-D

OMG! Yes! "Nothing but furniture ..." To this day I find myself humming/singing that! LOL. That was a great site, Tony! Thanks for sharing it ... and Congratulations again on your amazing 10 Chances perfecto!

Offline mechamind

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Always ready for that prize reveal...
    • Buy a Vowel Boards
« Reply #19 on: April 20, 2023, 11:24:46 PM »
Ten Chances, all I could say to that win was...wow. Secret X...also wow, but for a different reason. :P

Like Ten Chances, the Showcase round was a great watch. So close to a DSW, but even without that, those were very good bids.

Yes, this could very well be the best daytime show of the season!
Telephone Game was retired because it was lame. (And no, we’re not making that up – that really is the official reason.)
________

Fan of The Price is Right since the 1990's, my early childhood...and really happy that summer break was a thing.

Retro recapper for The Price is Right and Wheel of Fortune episodes.

Sticky Keys champion as of October 22, 2023.

Offline kingpin623

• In Contestant's Row
« Reply #20 on: April 21, 2023, 12:24:31 AM »
May 2000 was a legit perfect win in 10 Chances.  November 2000 saw another perfect playing in 10 Chances, but not because of the contestant's skill

https://archive.org/details/the-price-is-right-november-1-2000-ten-chances-blooper

I remember that Nov 2000 Ten Chances “exacta” :-D

There was also a Ten Chances exacta on TnPIR94; I think that playing was even included in some of the promos and trailers for that version of the show.  You can see that [fuzzy-looking] playing at
JBK
« Last Edit: April 21, 2023, 12:39:58 AM by kingpin623 »

Offline TonySCV

• In the Audience
« Reply #21 on: April 22, 2023, 11:15:55 AM »

OMG! Yes! "Nothing but furniture ..." To this day I find myself humming/singing that! LOL. That was a great site, Tony! Thanks for sharing it ... and Congratulations again on your amazing 10 Chances perfecto!

Thanks gang... it's always great to hear from people who remember my website. It was a ton of fun to do and I'm glad so many enjoyed it. THat "Nothing but furniture" song is stuck in my head too. :)

I believe we've found 6 other perfect playings so far:

2 from 1984/1985
1 from 1992
2 from Doug Davidson's 1994 version.
1 from 5-5-2000

It may have also happened between-1986-1993ish as we have very few episodes from that era.

So I'm probably the 7th to do it. :)
« Last Edit: April 28, 2023, 05:09:00 PM by TonySCV »

Offline GuyWithFace

• Double Showcase Winner
  • Attempted Sane Person
« Reply #22 on: April 22, 2023, 09:26:04 PM »
I’ve heard that it may have happened a 2nd time on Doug’s version, but I haven’t seen video of that.
That it did, and here it is:
The above is my opinion and mine alone.

To answer your questions: yes, I am a guy and yes, I have a face. (I also have the occasional spurt of weirdness.)

Quote from: thepriceis_J
People are tired of the f**kery and drama, but if we'd actually talk to each other sometimes instead of a whole bunch of private conversations with other people, it'd go a long way to perhaps fixing the problems most seem to see in the site.

Offline bonkers77

• Walking the Golden Road
« Reply #23 on: April 27, 2023, 02:34:42 AM »
Perfect 10 Chances after 23 years?! WOW! Big Tony!!!

Offline TonySCV

• In the Audience
« Reply #24 on: April 28, 2023, 12:10:00 AM »

Offline OneBidTris

• 4/2/2024
  • FPG Host & TPiR Alumnus
  • Hosting FPG for Season 50
« Reply #25 on: May 02, 2023, 10:40:13 PM »
Might as well talk about this after discussing the previous episode's experience.

After our Superfan taping, Tony gets an email about how they want everyone who didn't become a contestant to come on back and they recommended that we come back in February, so we settled on February 21st. We were able to get JJ with us this time since our other podmate was going to be busy that day.

Day before the taping, me, JJ, Tony, and Thupa head into LA to get ready for the show. We watch that day's episode and do dinner at a Italian restaurant that's become the go-to spot before any taping. We chat, figure out some things for game day, and enjoy a nice meal. Come back to the hotel, settle in and watch some more stuff, then go to sleep. Wake up, get our shirts on, watch the day's Price, and go to DuParr's at the Grove before the show. Like last time, was a little worried about being late to the show, but we got there in plenty of time (same start time as the last show I'd gone to) and we're in line. Process was pretty much the same, got a keychain at the store in case it was the last time I'd be there.

I'm always amazed at the different games people pick for these interviews. It really feels like it's a free for all. Sometimes it makes sense like Hole, Cliff, Half, even Line and then you get all the quickie games like Flip or Squeeze. Some of these don't make a ton of sense, but I guess every pricing game is someone's favorite; even if the reasons don't always make sense like picking Flip because there's no suspense and you get the result over with quick.

Tony and Thupa both had very good interviews and I liked Tony's chances. I didn't think it was impossible for two members of our group to get called down given how worried were about the energy of the interviews going into the studio. We watch 8231K on the TVs before the show and it happens to be an episode JJ saw in the audience over 5 years ago. Another fine show that is probably most well known for a guy cursing after he got a DSW on his showcase. We had hoped that would be good mojo coming into the show.

We were outside for a little while and some people from the first show stuck around for show 2. They mention how some guy had won two cars in the previous show and it sounded like a good sign (congrats again to George for winning all that loot). Not surprised that two people from those holdovers got called down (Kenny before PG#3 and Ashley before PG #6). Head into the studio and we get almost the exact same spots as we did at Superfan. Warm up routine was pretty similar and the show gets started. Tony gets called down 2nd and we are all excited that he gets on down; now it's time to focus on the prizes.

It's hard to pinpoint down sunglasses and shuffleboard tables, so it was fine that we couldn't get him up yet. I wish I could say it was just as fun watching the show as what you say, but that was not the case. Secret X was a hot mess where the contestant had no idea what to do and took forever to get his X down. We're all yelling at him to not put it in middle, but he does it anyway. He knows his prices, but then he took forever to decide where to put his second X and it should be obvious. But he's about to put it in the top left corner and we're all shouting when Drew's like "you're not going to be able to win if you put it up there". It feels like forever before he puts it in the middle and everyone can save their breath for the rest of the show. I figured they wanted to start the show with a win so they would put it in the middle, and they did. He's so lucky they chopped most of that out because it was a chore. It's funny,  that was the exact same hot tub I'd seen a couple weeks ago in Back, minus the shirtless guy. Math wasn't too bad, but we felt a little bad that we thought it was one of the expensive chairs and may have persuaded her to go minus.

Was getting a little worried about things going rough, but the third segment happens. I'm glad they left Kenny's fall on down in the show and didn't try to reshoot that. Kenny was a good sport about it and was enjoying himself, think there was a little more helicopter pilot talk before they show the next item. This pizza oven was an unknown entity, but we've seen other ones like it before and usually they're pretty cheap. They were feeling like $7/800 and we tried it since we were the last bid. After it's revealed to be an overbid, I'm pushing for $500 and lo and behold, Tony's up on stage.

We'd actually seen 10 Chances from our angle and kept trying to signal to him that it was the next game, but signals got crossed and we didn't think he'd got the message. It all worked out anyway when he got on stage and we knew we'd get this won. The smart plug was a 50/50, but got that out quick. Kia Forte we've seen a million times, JJ and Thupa were feeling -530 and that worked.

Let's talk about this computer. I had seen a computer that looked very similar to that computer on a recently aired episode and it was $571 on that playing. Since we had so many attempts to play with it, I suggest that we do $570 on the computer and it turns out to be right! It felt good getting through that so quickly, but even better when Tony gets all 3 right in 3 attempts and get him in the record books.

It felt really good and even as we were sitting Drew was chatting with him, even as Tony was in a daze from what had happened. He told us about the interactions with Drew and the models on stage and it felt awesome. Drew and George wanted to know when the last time 3 for 3 occurred and we didn't know offhand. Once they knew we were from the Superfan show, they mentioned that we were the ones they should look to and that when things get a little intimidating. It's scary knowing that we could affect the course of the show, especially the episode I'd just gone through with Chad. But it was nice that we were noticed, even had a cameraperson come over to us. They started asking us about what we thought were the easiest and the hardest games on the show and it was cool talking to them, even if it the attention was a little weird. Especially as Drew comes back to us after games 4 and 5.

Like with Belgium last show, Bonaire's not going to be 7K and that was pretty simple. Drew kinda looks over at us as JJ's shouting out Flop and it's right. Hey look, it's a similar looking fan package. Game 5 was fun because they were the only people in the room who would've won that. We're all screaming how the TV had to be the biggest thing and how the Danby couldn't possibly the most expensive thing and we thought he was dead in the water. He showed us and that was definitely whatever the Evelyn version of a dobstopper was. Drew definitely walked towards us as to say we were wrong, but JJ was not having it, given how variable the TV can and have been. Like I said, it was great that we were noticed, but it still felt a little weird with all the attention.

Game #6, we want Eleanor to win since she's the closest to us but again, car media players are all over the place. In general the IUFBs were not our strongest suit. But William comes on stage and yay! Let 'em Roll, the final game I get to see at Studio 33, is one that I had not seen in studio in all my visits and a game I quite like, especially when I was worried it might actually be Buck. It was funny how similar this lineup was to the one we'd just seen that morning; X 1st, 2P 2nd, long car 3rd, Flip 4th, Roll and a longer MP, but I didn't mind.

He had a pretty big clan that came with him, so we assumed he'd look there, but then (and you can see this on the TV copy) he points out to us as Drew is getting ready to mention the GPs. Thupa knew the Yoghurt was higher, I was confident on Olives being higher, boom. So we can say that we helped win that car, if nothing else to add to this day already. William comes by our seats to thank us, but soon he and Tony get whisked away on stage to get ready for some showdowns. Boardie luck has not been kind on the Wheel, we weren't happy that Miles made it, but perfectly fine with William winning, maybe we could get him to a DSW. The cue card guy wanted us to boo for Brenda, the old lady, but no one else did, because of how old she was.

Showcase #1 happens, and William bids basically instantaneously. We were hoping he'd look at us since we thought it was like 32/33, but alas a bid's a bid. Furniture of America isn't that much, and even if Italy's like 12K, that Kayak can't be that much. We were a little worried about it being a double over, though we definitely didn't like William's chances. It felt like a long break at this point and we didn't know why. Maybe it was a tech thing or maybe they had to move something. We didn't know, but eventually Drew comes back and reveals the bids. Okay, Miles is actually very close, means somebody wins today. Then they reveal William's bid and we were stunned, he knew exactly what he was doing. While they're filming the closing, Door 3 opens up to show the car William had won earlier! We assume that's why the previous break had been so long, to move the bedroom out and get the Roll car in.

While it would've been nice to give him the tip about -251, he was closer than any of us were and we would not have won that showcase. And while we're here, I know it was a 5/6, but I truly believe that we got Eazy instead of Math and that's closure enough for me. 5/6 is really good and this was definitely one of the best shows I've seen at the show, a truly wonderful way to go out of this studio. They do a door prize, there's a comment about me and the budget, and we're out.

We chat with Kenny's friends and a couple people behind us while we wait, people seem surprised that we'd done tapings before and that was a little surprising to us. We get some photos at the podiums, say congrats and bye to the other people, go to dinner at Canter's and decompress, hang with some other friends that were in the area. It was nice to have some people to talk to and share in this experience together, as I'm sure the other boardies will tell you, and it was nice to put a pretty bow on this whole saga.

This has been an incredible season of shows to attend and I'm thankful to everyone that's been a part of it. From Tony letting me and the crew in to help support everyone at these show to Chad and Jsach being wonderful people to chat and hang out with, I'm glad to have shared in new experiences and adventures even in these few occasions. And of course, the other audiences friends we made along the way and the amazing crew at the Price is Right. I hope they can transfer as many staff as they can to the new place, because they're all awesome people and help make the show as fun, smooth, and memorable as it can be. I know this is a scary and uncharted territory, but I think they'll be able to survive and thrive with whoever they bring over.

Whew, that was a whole long taping report. I hope you all enjoyed and I know this won't be the last you see of me on the airwaves. I do really hope to head back to the show soon, whether as an audience member or even a contestant, but it would be nice for everyone to have the opportunity to see the show and just how much fun it is. It is always a magical time at the show and I am grateful for it all.

Offline LFAT since diapers

• 11/20/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #26 on: May 03, 2023, 06:32:38 AM »
Thanks for sharing your experiences!

While they're filming the closing, Door 3 opens up to show the car William had won earlier! We assume that's why the previous break had been so long, to move the bedroom out and get the Roll car in.

I'm always pleased to see the door open up to reveal the previously-won car, but you usually only see this on the P+ / cbs.com feed as the network cuts away. Interesting that they commit so much time to doing it.

Offline GFinNY

• 4/18/2023
  • TPiR Alumnus
« Reply #27 on: May 03, 2023, 07:35:47 AM »
Whew, that was a whole long taping report. I hope you all enjoyed and I know this won't be the last you see of me on the airwaves. I do really hope to head back to the show soon, whether as an audience member or even a contestant, but it would be nice for everyone to have the opportunity to see the show and just how much fun it is. It is always a magical time at the show and I am grateful for it all.

Thanks for that super cool, detailed write-up on your experience at the taping! That was awesome to read! (And thanks for the congrats on my haul on the show! I’m still kind of dazed from it all! 🙂)

Wish I’d known you guys were there - would have been cool to chat!

Offline TonySCV

• In the Audience
« Reply #28 on: June 24, 2023, 12:51:14 AM »
Thanks gang... it's always great to hear from people who remember my website. It was a ton of fun to do and I'm glad so many enjoyed it. THat "Nothing but furniture" song is stuck in my head too. :)

I believe we've found 6 other perfect playings so far:

2 from 1984/1985
1 from 1992
2 from Doug Davidson's 1994 version.
1 from 5-5-2000

It may have also happened between-1986-1993ish as we have very few episodes from that era.

So I'm probably the 7th to do it. :)

Make that probably the 8th. Another has been found from 4/8/1987: